Electromagnets are used in electric motors and generators, electric bells and buzzers, loudspeakers and headphones etc. WebAn electromagnetic coil is an electrical conductor such as a wire in the shape of a coil (spiral or helix). (c) State Flemings right hand rule. WebFigure 12.11 Determining the magnetic field at point P along the axis of a current-carrying loop of wire. Previous Year Questions & Important Questions of Magnetic Effects of Electric Current Class 10 Science Chapter 13 will help the students to score good marks in the board examination. (iv) Distribution box. (b) What precaution should be taken to avoid the overloading of domestic electric circuits? (Board Term I, 2017) How to find the direction of the magnetic field due to the current-carrying conductor? For this, put the north pole of the magnet vertically below and south pole vertically above the aluminium rod. A long straight wire carrying current will produce a magnetic field. Plugging in the values into the equation, Find is the magnitude of the net magnetic field at point \(P\) as shown in the figure? Question 9. Answer: A small aluminium rod suspended horizontally from a stand using two connecting wires. Question 47. The degree of closeness of the field lines depends upon the strength of the magnetic field. Question 45. To avoid such serious accidents, the metal casing of the electric appliance is earthed. (a) State Right Hand Thumb rule to find the direction of the magnetic field around a current carrying straight conductor. When the device is placed within a magnetic field, the magnetic flux lines exert a force on the semiconductor material With the help of a labelled diagram state what would be seen if a bar magnet with its south pole towards one face of this coil is (a) The direction of magnetic field (B) at any point is obtained by drawing a tangent to the magnetic field line at that point. Flemings left hand rule is used to find the direction of force on a current carrying conductor placed in a magnetic field acting perpendicular to the direction of current. If the forefinger gives the direction of the magnetic field (N to S), the second (middle) finger the direction of current then the thumb gives the direction of the force acting on the conductor. WebMagnetic Force on a Current-Carrying Conductor. I is the current intensity flowing in the long wire. (ii) Magnetic field lines around a bar magnet. (b) direction of current is reversed? (i) When key is closed, after setting up the circuit as shown, one can observe a deflection on the galvanometer connected to the second coil. The. A compass needle is placed near a current carrying straight conductor. Answer: \({B_2} = \frac{{{\mu _0}I{R^2}}}{{2{{\left( {{x^2} + {R^2}} \right)}^{3/2}}}}\) (a) vary continuously (b) does not change Question 27. What is the magnetic field at 50 cm from the wire? If the insulation of any of these appliances melts and makes contact with the metallic casing, the person touching it is likely to receive a severe electric shock. Write one application of right hand thumb rule. (Board Term I, 2015) and current to its distance from the wire. Diagram shows the lengthwise section of a current carrying solenoid. (a) Fuse and the connection of earthing wire are the two safety measure commonly used in electric circuit and appliances. Question 40. (c) (i) Armature is a conductive part of motor which generates torque in the motor. (ii) it moves in the magnetic field parallel to field lines. Mention and explain the function of an earth wire. Place a strong horseshoe magnet in such a way that the rod lies between the two poles with the magnetic field directed upwards. Question 13. What is the direction of force created by a conductor carrying current? Describe an activity with labelled diagram to show that a force acts on current carrying conductor placed in a magnetic field and its direction of current through conductor. In this article, let us learn about magnetic field intensity due to a straight current-carrying conductor of finite length. Since the earth does not offer any resistance, the current flows to the earth through the earth wire instead of flowing through the body of the person. (a) magnitude of the induced current. Question 20. (a) direction of magnetic field is reversed? Thus, the magnetic field lines are closed curves. What is the function of a galvanometer in a circuit? The direction of the force produced by a long wire is given by the right hand thumb rule. Question 31. Solved Examples on Magnetic Field Due to Straight Wire, Thus, the value of the magnetic field comes out to be 13.33 $\times$ 10, Example 2: A wire of 60 cm in length carries a current I= 3 A. Magnetic Field due to Current in Straight Wire. The direction of the force is given by Flemings left hand rule. (Board Term I, 2013) We hope this detailed article on Magnetic Field on the Axis of a Circular Current Loop helps you in your preparation. a) Magnetic field due to a current through a straight conductor. (Delhi 2019) (2020) (a) directly proportional to the current passing through it. (ii) vertically in East West plane and an observer looking it from south sees the current to flow in anticlockwise direction, The frequency of A.C. in India is 50 Hz and it changes direction twice in each cycle. One isBiot-Savart law, and the other isAmperes law. Question 5. (c) A fuse is safety device use to limit the current in an electric circuit. (ii) reversing the direction of flow of current in the conductor? Suppose we assume a point P at a distance r from a long straight wire carrying current I. (Board Term I, 2016) The magnetic field also further depends on the distance of the wire. Embiums Your Kryptonite weapon against super exams! (b) (i) A fuse of rating 5A is usually used for lights and fans. \( \Rightarrow B = \frac{{{\mu _0}I{R_1}^2}}{{2{{\left( {{x_1}^2 + {R_1}^2} \right)}^{3/2}}}} \frac{{{\mu _0}I{R_2}^2}}{{2{{\left( {{x_1}^2 + {R_2}^2} \right)}^{3/2}}}}\) c) Magnetic field due to a current through a circular loop. Question 3: A straight current-carrying conductor produces a magnetic field of 5T at a distance of 2 m. Find the magnitude of the electric current flowing through it. Answer: (a) When an unduly high electric current flows through the circuit, the fuse wire melts due to joule heating effect and breaks the circuit. WebThe latest Lifestyle | Daily Life news, tips, opinion and advice from The Sydney Morning Herald covering life and relationships, beauty, fashion, health & wellbeing Question 17. When current is passed through a straight current-carrying conductor, a magnetic field is produced around it. We can write B1 as, $\begin{align} &B_{1}=\dfrac{\mu_{o}{I}_1}{2 \pi r_{1}} \\ &B_{1}=\dfrac{2 \mu_{o} \times 10}{4 \pi \times 2} \\ &B_{1}=10^{-7} \times 10 \\ &B_{1}=10^{-6} \mathrm{~T} \end{align}$, Similarly, the magnetic force B2 by second wire carrying current 15 A and at distance 4m from P can be given as, $\begin{align} &B_{2}=\dfrac{\mu_{0} I_{2}}{2 \pi r_{2}} \\ &B_{2}=\dfrac{2 \mu_{0} \times 15}{4 \pi \times 4} \\ &B_{2}=10^{-7} \times \dfrac{15}{2} \\ &B_{2}=0.75 \times 10^{-6} \mathrm{~T} \end{align}$, Now, both the wires have opposite directions, so the total magnetic field will be given by the difference of their individual magnetic fields. It must be noted that this rule is applicable for a conductor moving in a magnetic field to find the direction of force acting on it. (a) current flowing in the conductor (2020) Inside the solenoid field lines are in the form of parallel straight lines. WebIt is a vector quantity that defines the area of influence of the magnet. Let the magnetic field by wire carrying 10A current be B1. Question 2. The field lines are in the same direction in the space enclosed by the coil. (AI 2019) (i) west to east (Board Term I, 2016) Answer: \({B_1} = \frac{{{\mu _0}I}}{{2R}}\) The direction of a magnetic field produced due to a current-carrying conductor relies upon the same direction in which the current is flowing. Answer: (b) In parallel combination, each resistor gets same potential from the source. (iv) If initially this force was acting from right to left, how will the direction of force change if: (1/3, Board Term I, 2013) Place the magnet on a white sheet and mark its boundaries on sheet. (b) The phenomena involved is called electromag-netic induction. Check here to use the Biot-Savart law to calculate a small current elements magnetic field produced at some point in space. It is used to find the direction of magnetic field around a current carrying conductor. The magnitude of this magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance of wire to the point P kept at distance r. The magnetic field due to straight wire is produced by moving charges. (i) vertically in North South plane and an observer looking it from east sees the current to flow in anticlockwise direction, Now we can find the magnetic field by individual wires and then add them to get the total magnetic field. How many times does it change its direction in one second? (a) if current in the coil P is changed? (ii) north to south Question 23. Question 15. The right-hand thumb rule can be used for a circular conducting wire as well as it comprises small straight segments. Example 3: Find the electric field at 6m from an infinitely long wire with a linear charge density of 8 x 10-3$\dfrac{C}{m}$. Answer: This induces a current in coil 2. (iii) placed near its one face? (ii) When key K is opened, after closing it for sometime it can be observed that the galvanometer show a deflection, but this time in the opposite direction. 5 10 5 m/s. (i) When a current carrying wire is placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a magnetic force that depends on (b) Overloading : The condition in which a high current flows through the circuit and at the same time too many appliances are switched on then the total current drawn through the circuit may exceed its rated value. Flight Suspensions or Reduction due to the Impact of the New-type Coronavirus (Last Updated September 15, 2022) 7/5/22 . Question 6. (a) Refer to answer 22 (iii). (Delhi 2019) $\begin{align}&r=\dfrac{\mu I}{2 \pi B}=\dfrac{4 \pi \times 10^{-7} \times 3}{2 \pi \times 2 \times 10^{-3}} \\ &r=0.6 \times 10^{-4} \mathrm{~m}=0.06 \mathrm{~mm} \end{align}$. (b) It is taken by convention that the field lines emerges from north pole and merge at the south pole. Give reason for the following (2020) To concentrate the magnetic field, in an electromagnet the wire is wound into a coil with many turns of wire lying side by side. The potential difference between these wires is 220 V. (c) Flemings right hand rule: Stretch the right hand such that the first finger, the central finger and the thumb are mutually perpendicular to each other. Write any one method to induce current in a coil. So, it is safe and convenient to connect household circuit in parallel combination of resistors A solenoid is a combination of closely wound loops of wire in the form of helix, and each loop of wire has its own magnetic field (magnetic moment or magnetic dipole moment). Answer: (ii) If the direction of current is reversed, the direction of magnetic field also get reversed. Draw the magnetic field lines through and around a single loop of wire carrying electric current. Question 35. $\int d B=2 \times \int_{0}^{\infty} \dfrac{\mu_{0} I}{4 \pi} \dfrac{1}{\left(\sqrt{r^{2}+l^{2}}\right)^{2}} \dfrac{r}{\sqrt{r^{2}+l^{2}}} \mathrm{~d} l$, $B=\dfrac{\mu_{0} I}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \dfrac{r}{\left(r^{2}+l^{2}\right)^{3 / 2}} \mathrm{~d} l$, $B=\dfrac{\mu_{0} I}{2 \pi r}\left[\dfrac{l}{\left(r^{2}+l^{2}\right)^{1 / 2}}\right]_{0}^{\infty}$, $\begin{align} &B=\dfrac{\mu_{0} I}{2 \pi r}\left[\lim _{l \rightarrow \infty}\dfrac{l}{l\left(\dfrac{r^{2}}{l^{2}}+1\right)^{\dfrac{1}{ 2}}}-0\right] \\ &B=\dfrac{\mu_{0} I}{2 \pi r}\left[\dfrac{1}{\left(\dfrac{r^{2}}{\infty}+1\right)^{\dfrac{1}{ 2}}}-0\right] \\ &B=\dfrac{\mu_{0} I}{2 \pi r}[1-0] \\ &B=\dfrac{\mu_{o} I}{2 \pi r}\end{align}$. (i) increasing the current through the conductor Answer: This field can be calculated by considering an infinitely long straight wire and then using a cylindrical gaussian surface. (i) Key K is closed Question 14. (Board Term I, 2017, 2016) (b) Principle : Current carrying conductor when placed at right angle to a magnetic field, experiences a force due to which we get motion. Answer: Question 8. Magnetic Field due to a Long Straight Wire, Now, according to Biot Savarts Law, the magnetic field of a point P placed at a distance r is, $ \mathrm{d} B=\dfrac{\mu_{\theta} I d l \sin (\theta)}{4 \pi r^{2}}$, $\begin{align} &r=\sqrt{a^{2}+l^{2}} \\ &\sin \theta=\dfrac{r}{\sqrt{a^{2}+l^{2}}} \end{align}$. You can buy Peach goods from overseas! Short circuiting: The condition when the live wire comes in direct contact with the neutral wire, due to which a high current flows in the circuit. (c) State the purpose of soft iron core used in making an electromagnet. The magnetic field of all the turns of wire passes through the center of the coil, creating a strong magnetic What is solenoid? A.C. can be transmitted to distant places without much loss of electric power than D.C. That is why A.C. is preferred over D.C. for transmission of current over a long distances. As such, the resultant magnetic field due to the coil is equal to the sum of the field due to all these turns. To find the magnetic field formula due to an infinitesimally small current-carrying wire at some point, we use the Biot-Savart law to calculate the magnetic field of a highly symmetric configuration carrying a steady current Amperes Circuital Law. Answer: Place the compass near the north pole of magnet and mark the position of needle. (d) angle between the element of length and the magnetic field. Answer: (Board Term I, 2014) Question 34. (b) Magnetic field produced by solenoid is more stronger than magnetic field of a bar magnet. Let us now discuss the force due to the magnetic field in a straight current-carrying rod. (ii) The current carrying solenoid when suspended freely rests along a particular direction. (ii) Frequency of D.C. is zero as its direction does not change with time. Justify this statement. Answer: The electric field for a long straight current-carrying wire is denoted as: $E=\dfrac{\lambda}{2 \pi \in{ }_{o}{r}}$. Answer: CBSE 10 Magnetic Effects of Electric Current. An induction motor can therefore be made without electrical connections to the rotor. State the direction of magnetic field in the following case. Mathematically, it can be denoted as : Magnetic Field Due to Straight Wire Derivation, where r is the distance of the electric field from the wire, $\lambda$ is the linear charge density, and $\in_{o}$ is the permittivity whose value is 8.854 $\times$, This field can be calculated by considering an infinitely long straight wire and then using a cylindrical gaussian surface. The magnetic field lines due to a current-carrying circular wire form a closed loop which is shown in Fig.(c). Thus the ends of the straight solenoid behaves like poles of the magnet, where the converging end is the south pole and the diverging end is the north pole. (i) Increasing the current passing through the coil. The direction of the magnetic field at the centre is perpendicular to the plane of the coil. Answer: This is due to the reason that the segments of the coil in contact with the board at the points A and B are almost like straight conductors. (Board Term I, 2014) The magnet so formed is called an electromagnet. (b) magnitude of the magnetic field. (a) If a coil of insulated wire is connected to a galvanometer and a bar magnet with south pole is moved towards one face of the coil then, given situation is shown in the figure. (a) As the amount of magnetic field strength is directly proportional to the amount of current, so the deflection of compass needle increases. (ii) The current carrying solenoid behaves similar to that of a bar magnet and when freely suspended aligns itself in the north-south direction. Write one application of Flemings right hand rule. Substituting these in the above formula, we get, $\begin{align}E=\dfrac{\lambda}{2 \pi \in{ }_{o}^{r}} \\E=\dfrac{8 \times 10^{-3}}{2 \pi \times 6 \times 8.854 \times 10^{-12}}\\ E=0.047 \times 10^{9}\,N/C \\ \end{align}$. Answer: An induction motor's rotor can be either (i) Alternating current has a frequency of 50 Hz. Justify your answer in each case. Find the magnetic field at a point on the axis at a distance of \(5\;\rm{cm}\) from the centre due to this loop?Ans: Magnitude of the magnetic field at the centre of a circular loop is (a) Fuse acts like a watchman in an electric circuit. WebMagnetic field lines of a Neodymium Magnet as illustrated below with the iron filings. Mention two parameters that are necessary to describe it completely. (a) A coil of insulated copper wire is connected to a galvanometer. (a) State Flemings Left-hand rule. indicates current entering into the page, indicates current emerging out of the page. Near the centre of the coil, the field lines are nearly straight and parallel. Problems on Force between Two Parallel Current Carrying Conductors. Answer: Stretch out the thumb, the forefinger, and the second (middle) finger of the left hand so that these are at right angles to each other. Justify the following statements: (a) It states that you are holding a current carrying straight conductor in your right hand such that the thumb points towards the direction of current. It is used in series with any electrical appliance and protects it from short-circuiting and overloading. (a) current through the conductor \(\Rightarrow {B_2} = \left( {0.5 \times {{10}^{ 4}}} \right)\left[ {\frac{{{{\left( {12} \right)}^3}}}{{{{\left( {{5^2} + {{12}^2}} \right)}^{3/2}}}}} \right]\) Inside the magnet, the direction of field lines is from its south pole to its north pole. Q.3: Where is the magnetic field due to current through a circular loop uniform?Ans: The magnetic field due to current through the circular loop is uniform at the centre of the current loop and non-uniform near the circular coil. If you get stuck do let us know in the comments section below and we will get back to you at the earliest. Flemings left hand rule is as follows: If we place another current-carrying wire in its vicinity, it experiences a force that is produced by the first current-carrying wire. WebGrid energy storage (also called large-scale energy storage) is a collection of methods used for energy storage on a large scale within an electrical power grid.Electrical energy is stored during times when electricity is plentiful and inexpensive (especially from intermittent power sources such as renewable electricity from wind power, tidal power and solar Answer: It is directed from north pole to south pole outside the magnet and south pole to north pole inside the magnet. \(B = \frac{{{\mu _0}I}}{{2R}}\), Q 1. Answer: WebA straight current-carrying conductor has a magnetic field in the shape of concentric circles around it. The right hand thumb rule states that when we curl our fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, the direction of the thumb gives the direction of the current. WebAn electric current flowing in a wire creates a magnetic field around the wire, due to Ampere's law (see drawing below). At which distance is the magnetic field 2 $\times$ 10-3 T? Many electric appliances of daily use like electric press, heater, toaster, refrigerator, table fan etc. So, fuse acts like a watchman in an electric circuit. As we move towards the centre of the coil, the strength of magnetic field increases. Answer: Direct current always flow in one direction whereas the alternating current reverses its direction periodically. \(\frac{{{B_2}}}{{{B_1}}} = \frac{{{R^3}}}{{{{\left( {{x^2} + {R^2}} \right)}^{3/2}}}}\) And, we will integrate this vector expression over the entire length of the conductor to obtain the total field at \(P\). Oersteds experiment: According to this experiment A current carrying wire creates a magnetic field around it. \( B = 5.77 10^{-9}\;\rm{T}\) to the right. Draw magnetic field lines around a bar magnet. Strategy We need to calculate the magnetic field for the entire conductor. If the current decreases, the magnetic field decreases, inducing a voltage in the conductor in the opposite direction, negative at the end through which current enters and positive at the end through which it leaves. (Board Term I, 2013) We can find this by integrating the equation for half the wire and multiplying it by 2. As such the magnetic field at the centre of the coil can be taken to be uniform. We have given theseImportant Questions for Class 10 Science Chapter 13 Magnetic Effects of Electric Current to solve different types of questions in the exam. WebMagnetic field due to current through a circular loop. can then be used to find the electric field of this straight wire. Define the term induced electric current. WebSolenoids have many practical implications and they are mainly used to create magnetic fields or as electromagnets. Hence deflection of compass decreases when it is displaced away from the conductor. The magnetic field for a long straight infinite current carrying wire is inversely proportional to its distance from the wire. Question 32. Draw the pattern of magnetic field lines of Magnetic field lines do not intersect each other, because there cant be two directions of the magnetic field at any one point. Q.5: What is a circular loop?Ans: A circular loop is made up of a large number of very small straight wires. WebAnimal cognition encompasses the mental capacities of non-human animals including insect cognition.The study of animal conditioning and learning used in this field was developed from comparative psychology.It has also been strongly influenced by research in ethology, behavioral ecology, and evolutionary psychology; the alternative name Procedure for CBSE Compartment Exams 2022, Find out to know how your mom can be instrumental in your score improvement, (First In India): , , , , Remote Teaching Strategies on Optimizing Learners Experience, MP Board Class 10 Result Declared @mpresults.nic.in, Area of Right Angled Triangle: Definition, Formula, Examples, Composite Numbers: Definition, List 1 to 100, Examples, Types & More. Answer: Answer: Question 12. Question 25. Refer to answer 44(a). (b) Mention the usual current rating of the fuse wire in the line to (i) lights and fans (ii) appliance of 2 kW or more power. Question 43. These iron filings arrange themselves in a pattern similar to one shown in the figure. If the first finger points along the direction of the field (magnetic field) and the thumb points along the direction of motion of the conductor, then the direction of induced current is given by the direction of the central finger. Q.2: What is the magnetic field due to a current-carrying loop?Ans: The magnetic field on the axis of a current-carrying loop is given by:\({B_x} = \frac{{{\mu _0}I{R_x}^2}}{{2{{\left( {{x^2} + {R^2}} \right)}^{3/2}}}}\widehat i\)where \(x\) is the distance of that point on the axis from the centre of the loop, \(R\) is the radius of the loop, and \(I\) is the current flowing in the loop. (i) There is either a convergence or a divergence of magnetic field lines near the ends of a current carrying straight solenoid. (i) Solenoid : A coil of many circular turns of insulated copper wire wrapped in the shape of cylinder is called solenoid. (a) What is meant by a magnetic field? Class 10 science ch 13 notes of Vedantu rightly depict the phenomenon of the magnetic field due to a current through a straight conductor. The direction of this current can be found out from Maxwell's right thumb rule. The magnitude of the magnetic field at the centre of the coil is directly proportional to the current flowing through it and total number of turns and inversely proportional to the radius of the coil. Answer: (ii) a bar magnet. What are magnetic field lines? By using, Biot Savarts law we are now finding the magnetic field at a point p, which is at a distance r from the wire . Question 42. Answer: Electromagnetic coils are used in electrical engineering, in applications where electric currents interact with magnetic fields, in devices such as electric motors, generators, inductors, electromagnets, transformers, and sensor coils.Either an electric Question 22. (iii) it moves in the magnetic field perpendicular to field lines. Answer: Now we can find the magnetic field by individual wires and then add them to get the total magnetic field. Assuming a long straight current carrying a wire of magnitude I, the magnetic field (B) created by the conductor is formed around it. Write one application of Flemings left hand rule. (Board Term I, 2015) These are known as magnetic field lines. State whether an alpha particle will experience any force in a magnetic field if (alpha particles are positively charged particles) That is Curl the palm of your right hand around the circular wire with the fingers pointing in the direction of the current. WebMagnetic Field Of A Straight Line Current. A current carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field. Leading AI Powered Learning Solution Provider, Fixing Students Behaviour With Data Analytics, Leveraging Intelligence To Deliver Results, Exciting AI Platform, Personalizing Education, Disruptor Award For Maximum Business Impact, Take Free Mock Tests related to Magentic Field, Magnetic Field on the Axis of a Circular Current Loop. Give reason for your answer. The right-hand thumb rule can be used for a circular conducting wire as well as it comprises of small straight segments. What will you observe in the galvanometer connected across the coil Q Electromagnetic coils are used in electrical engineering, in applications where electric currents interact with magnetic fields, in devices such as electric motors, generators, inductors, electromagnets, transformers, and sensor coils.Either an electric How is the type of current that we receive in domestic circuit different from the one that runs a clock? (ii) There are mainly two wires used in the power supply provided to us. Question 33. Refer to answer 15(i). The properties of the magnetic field lines are listed below: In order to find the magnetic field due to a coil, it is held in a vertical plane and is made to pass through a smooth cardboard in such a way that the centre (O) of the coil lies at the cardboard. Design an activity to demonstrate that a bar magnet has a magnetic field around it. (Board Term I, 2016) WebMagnetic fields are produced when current passes through a wire or a loop. When an electric current, flows through a circular coil of wire, then a magnetic field is produced. b) Magnetic field due to a current in a solenoid. WebHelical Motion in a Magnetic Field A proton enters a uniform magnetic field of 1.0 10 4 T 1.0 10 4 T with a speed of 5 10 5 m/s. Resistivity is commonly represented by the Greek letter ().The SI unit of electrical resistivity is the (c) Flemings Right-hand rule gives the direction of induced current. Magnetic fields are produced when current passes through a wire or a loop. (b) The compass needle is displaced away from the conductor. Thus, the distance at which the magnetic field is 2 $\times$ 10-3 T is 0.06 mm. In that context, it is also called the Laplace force . Thus, the magnetic field created by the current-carrying wire is denoted as the ratio of the product of magnetic permeability and current to its distance from the wire. (Board Term I, 2014) As derived from above the formula, magnetic field of a straight line is denoted as: $B=\dfrac{\mu I}{2 \pi r}=\dfrac{4 \pi \times 10^{-7} .4}{(2 \pi \times 0.6 m)}=13.33 \times 10^{-7}$. (b) In household circuit, parallel combination of resistances is used. List two distinguishing features between the two fields. In order to find the direction of magnetic field lines, we plot the magnetic field with the help of a compass needle. Thus, the magnetic field created by the current-carrying wire is denoted as the ratio of the product of. Stay tuned to Embibe for more updates on the Magnetic Field on the Axis of a Circular Current Loop. (iii) horizontally and an observer looking at it from below sees current to flow in clockwise direction . Question 1. According to right hand rule, the direction of magnetic field is In case, two magnetic field lines intersect each other at the point P as shown in figure, magnetic field at P will have two directions, shown by two arrows, one drawn to each magnetic field line at P, which is not possible. Answer: And, at the axial point, we have List any two uses. An electric generator is mechanically identical to an electric motor, but CBSE Important Questions for Class 10 Science, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 1, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 2, Periodic Classification of Elements Class 10, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 7, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 8, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 9, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 10, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 11, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 12, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 13, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 14, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 15, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 ScienceChapter 16, CBSE Previous Year Question Papers Class 12, CBSE Previous Year Question Papers Class 10. Pass a current through the aluminium rod from one end to other (B to A). 3. Here is a short video showing and easy experiment performed with a neodymium cube magnets and some iron filings that will demonstrate the magnetic field produced by this product. When a current-carrying wire is exposed to the magnetic field it also experiences forces because the charges are moving inside the conductor. The one usually with a red insulation is called the live wire (or positive wire) and the one with black insulation is called the neutral wire (or negative wire). What is meant by magnetic field? Substituting these in the above formula, we get, The problem has two wires. The magnetic field is created due to current and its strength depends on the magnitude of the current. This force deflects the charged particle from its path. Answer: Magnetic field : It is defined as the space surrounding the magnet in which magnetic force can be experienced. (Board Term I, 2017) From the first loop to the point \((P)\), the distance is \(0.25\;\rm{m}\), and from the second loop to the point, the distance is \(0.75\,\rm{m}\) from the point\((P)\). Question 11. Let the magnetic field by wire carrying 10A current be, by second wire carrying current 15 A and at distance 4m from P can be given as, So, the magnetic field by both wires at point P is 0.25$\times$, Magnetic field due to straight wire comes under the chapter magnetic effects of current and magnetism. Question 16. A current is passed through the coil and iron filings are sprinkled on the cardboard. (b) If field lines of a magnetic field are crossed at a point, what does it indicate? Inversely, it can also be stated that if the thumb represents the direction of current, then the fingers denote the direction of the magnetic field. (a) It is dangerous to touch the live wire of the main supply rather than neutral wire. Write the frequency of alternating current (AC) in India. A long straight wire carrying current will produce a magnetic field. Question 19. Inversely, it can also be stated that if the thumb represents the direction of current, then the fingers denote the direction of the magnetic field. Answer: You can use your right hand, as depicted, to determine the direction of the magnetic field. A straight current-carrying conductor is carrying a current I as shown in the figure. WebAn electromagnetic coil is an electrical conductor such as a wire in the shape of a coil (spiral or helix). Answer: Question 18. Question 41. Two circular coils P and Q are kept close to each other, of which coil P carries a current. Also in case if any one resistor fails then the circuit will not break. These electromagnets are used in wide variety of instruments and used to lift heavy iron, objects. Magnetic field lines can visualise the magnetic field of a straight current-carrying conductor. There are two methods of calculating magnetic fields in magnetics at some point. Similarly a fuse of lower rating may melt frequently even for a normal flow of current. (a) What is an electromagnet? Magnetic field intensity due to a straight current-carrying conductor of finite length. \(B = B_1 B_2\) Question 24. (i) List the factors on which the magnitude of force experienced by conductor depends. The current induced in a conductor when the magnetic field around it changes is known as induced electric current. have a metallic body. Hence, it keeps an eye on the amount of current flowing and also stops the current if exceeds the maximum value. 4. (Board Term I, 2015) State your observations, when One can easily demonstrate the presence of field lines around a bar magnet using compass needles. (iii) Electricity meter and (iii) Alpha particle will experience a force in the direction perpendicular to the direction of magnetic field and direction of motion of alpha particle. (ii) When is the magnitude of this force maximum? Direct current (D.C.) : An electric current whose magnitude is either constant or variable but the direction of flow in a conductor remains the same is called direct current. (2/3, 2020) This is due to the reason that the metallic casing will be at the same potential as the applied one. (c) The soft iron core placed in an electromagnet increases the strength of the magnetic field produced. (i) moved quickly towards it, Find the direction of magnetic field due to a current carrying circular coil held: (a) State Flemings left hand rule. State the use of magnetic field produced inside a solenoid. Describe in brief an activity to study the magnetic field lines due to a current carrying circular oil. (iv) (a) Direction of force will be reversed when direction of magnetic field is reversed, i.e., now force on conductor will act from left to right. Moreover, a strong current is required to produce a strong magnetic field. Question 44. (b) Write the principle of working of an electric motor. Strength of magnetic field produced by a straight current-carrying wire at a given point is Magnetic field lines : These are the imaginary close curves which are used to represent the magnetic field around the magnet. Can you determine the north and the south poles of a current-carrying solenoid with the help of a bar In Faradays experiment if instead of moving the magnet towards the coil we move the coil towards the magnet. It is an extremely important topic and has a high chance of being asked in the exam. Answer: Answer: Filed Under: Important Questions Tagged With: CBSE 10 Magnetic Effects of Electric Current., CBSE Class 10 Science, CBSE Important Questions for Class 10 Science, RD Sharma Class 11 Solutions Free PDF Download, NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Computer Science (Python), NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Computer Science (C++), NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Business Studies, NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Micro Economics, NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Macro Economics, NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Entrepreneurship, NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Political Science, NCERT Solutions for Class 11 Computer Science (Python), NCERT Solutions for Class 11 Business Studies, NCERT Solutions for Class 11 Entrepreneurship, NCERT Solutions for Class 11 Political Science, NCERT Solutions for Class 11 Indian Economic Development, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 Social Science, NCERT Solutions For Class 10 Hindi Sanchayan, NCERT Solutions For Class 10 Hindi Sparsh, NCERT Solutions For Class 10 Hindi Kshitiz, NCERT Solutions For Class 10 Hindi Kritika, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 Foundation of Information Technology, NCERT Solutions for Class 9 Social Science, NCERT Solutions for Class 9 Foundation of IT, PS Verma and VK Agarwal Biology Class 9 Solutions, NCERT Solutions for Class 10 Foundation of IT. A large number of such loops allow you combine magnetic (ii) Mention the frequency of D.C that is given by a cell. This is because, when the current stops flowing in coil 1, the magnetic field associated with it changes in the opposite direction as in the first case, thus inducing a current in the opposite direction. Assuming a long straight current carrying a wire of magnitude I, the magnetic field (B) created by the conductor is formed around it. Give reasons for the following: Decide which end of the solenoid A or B, will behave as north pole. Answer: Why it is necessary to earth metallic appliances? (1/3, Board Term I, 2013) r is the distance of the magnetic field from the wire. Galvanometer is an instrument that can detect the presence of electric current in a circuit. From figure, end A of solenoid act as north pole and end B will act as south pole. (Board Term I, 2017) \( \Rightarrow {B_2} = 3.9 \times {10^{ 5}}\;{\text{T}}.\). Now answer the following. The phenomenon in which electric current is generated by varying magnetic fields around a coil is called electromagnetic induction. NCERT Solutions for Class 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12. (1/3, 2020) This is because, a potential difference and thus a current is induced in coil 2 as there is change in the current and the magnetic field associated with it in coil 1. So, the magnetic field by both wires at point P is 0.25$\times$ 10-6 T. The article presents a thorough walkthrough of the magnetic field for a long infinite straight current carrying wire. A charged particle moving in a magnetic field may experience a force in the direction perpendicular to direction of magnetic field and direction of motion of particle. State the effect of a magnetic field on the path of a moving charged particle. (1/3, Board Term I, 2013) Repeat this step several times and you will have pattern as shown in the figure. (iii) Often, there are two separate circuits used in our homes, one of 15 A current rating for appliances with higher power rating and the other circuit of 5 A rating for appliances such as fans, bulbs, etc. (d) List two ways of increasing the strength of an electromagnet if the material of the electromagnet is fixed. Q 2. We can use the Biot-Savart law to find the magnetic field due to a current. Magnetic Field Due to Current Carrying Conductor If a magnetic compass is placed near a conductor carrying current (wire), the needle is deflected. CBSE Previous Year Question Paper for Class 10, CBSE Previous Year Question Paper for Class 12. Web11.4 Magnetic Force on a Current-Carrying Conductor; 11.5 Force and Torque on a Current Loop; 12.1 The Biot-Savart Law; 12.2 Magnetic Field Due to a Thin Straight Wire; 12.3 Magnetic Force between Two Parallel Currents; 12.4 Magnetic Field of a Current Loop; 12.5 Ampres Law; 12.6 Solenoids and Toroids; Define alternating current and direct current. Question 28. (a) Refer to answer 1. (b) Magnetic field are closed curves. What is meant by this statement? (a) Magnitude of electric current is increased. What is a solenoid? Thus increasing the strength of electromagnet. List two properties of magnetic lines of force. Every point on Now move the compass such that its south pole occupies the position previously occupied by its north pole. Alternating current (A.C.) : An electric current whose magnitude changes with time and direction reverses periodically is called alternating current. (a) A bar magnet is a permanent magnet whereas solenoid is an electromagnet, therefore field produced by solenoid is temporary and stay till current flows through it. Resistivity is commonly represented by the Greek letter ().The SI unit of electrical resistivity is the (d) Why is it necessary to earth metallic electric appliances? How many times per second it changes its direction? Question 29 How does a solenoid behave like a magnet? Mathematically, it can be denoted as : $\mu$ is the permeability of free space or $4\pi\times10^{-7}~\left(\dfrac{T\cdot m}{A}\right)$. (a) Draw a schematic diagram of a common domestic circuit showing provision of (b) Draw a labelled diagram to show how an electromagnet is made. (a) Refer to answer 22(iii). The magnetic field can also be seen with a piece of Magnetic View Film Green 4x6". At what angle must the magnetic field be from the velocity so that the pitch of the resulting helical motion is equal to the radius of the helix? Electric field on the other hand is denoted as $E=\dfrac{\lambda}{2 \pi \in{ }_{o}{r}}$, which is again inversely proportional to the distance of the point from the wire. Answer: Answer: Compass needle is used to draw magnetic field lines. (i) There is either a convergence or a divergence of magnetic field lines near the ends of a current carrying straight solenoid because it behaves similar to that of a bar magnet and has a magnetic field line pattern similar to that of a bar magnet. WebFigure 12.11 Determining the magnetic field at point P along the axis of a current-carrying loop of wire. Name the device which is used to draw magnetic field lines. (Board Term I, 2017) (ii) The two stationary brushes in a simple electric motor draw current from the battery and supply it to the armature of motor. Answer: Yes, these will be an induced current in both the cases as there is a change in the number of magnetic field line associated with the coil or we can say that there is a motion of a magnet with respect to the coil. (c) length of the conductor iii) The magnetic field lines do not intersect each other. (c) Fuse is an important safety device. When the direction of current flowing through the rod is reversed, the displacement of rod will be towards right. (a, b) Refer to answer 10(b). (a) Name two safety measures commonly used in an electric circuit and appliances. Example 4: A straight current-carrying conductor is carrying a current of 10A and another conductor parallel to it carries a current of 15A on the opposite side as shown in the figure below. (ii) No, alpha particle will not experience any force if it moves in the magnetic field parallel to field lines because charge particle experiences force only when it moves at an angle other than 0 with magnetic field. One loop has a radius of \(R_1 = 50\;\rm{cm}\) and the other loop has a radius of \(R_2 = 100\;\rm{cm}\). Justify your answer. Coil 1 has comparatively large number of turns. \({\text{d}}\overrightarrow B = \frac{{{\mu _0}}}{{4\pi }}I\frac{{{\text{d}}\overrightarrow l \times \overrightarrow r}}{{{r^3}}} \) Answer: WebThe Concept of Magnetic Field Due to a Current Through a Straight Conductor. \( \Rightarrow B = \frac{{\left( {4{{\pi }} \times {{10}^{ 7}}} \right)\left( {0.010} \right){{\left( {0.5} \right)}^2}}}{{2{{\left( {{{0.25}^2} + {{0.5}^2}} \right)}^{3/2}}}} \frac{{\left( {4{{\pi }} \times {{10}^{ 7}}} \right)\left( {0.010} \right){{\left( 1 \right)}^2}}}{{2{{\left( {{{0.75}^2} + {1^2}} \right)}^{3/2}}}}\) At the time of short circuit, the electric current in the circuit. A variety of questions can be framed from magnetic fields due to straight wire and so you need to practise as many problems as possible. The magnetic field \((\overrightarrow B )\) due to a current-carrying circular loop of radius \(12\;\rm{cm}\) at its centre is \(0.5 10^{-4}\;\rm{T}\). Properties of magnetic filed lines : WebCurrent deals. (i) Earth wire, (ii) Main fuse Magnetic field due to current in a solenoid (b) How will the magnetic field be affected on: (i) it is placed in the field at rest. It is an extremely important topic and has a high chance of being asked in the exam. (b) Since magnetic field strength at a point is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire. OA=Z (c) Using fuse in a household electric circuit is important. (Board Term I, 2014) Question 29. Answer: For the magnetic field at the centre of the loop, put \((x = 0)\) in the above expression. Magnetic field due to straight wire comes under the chapter magnetic effects of current and magnetism. (d) The strength of electromagnet can be increased by Right Hand Thumb Rule: The right hand thumb rule states that when we curl our fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, the direction of the thumb gives the direction of the current. Thus, the magnetic field due to a long straight current carrying wire is inversely proportional to the distance of a point P from the wire. We consider a rod of uniform length l and cross-sectional area A.; In the conducting rod, let the number density of mobile electrons be given by n.; Then the total number of charge carriers can be given by nAI, When the magnetic field changes in coil 1, the magnetic field lines around coil 2 also changes. This pattern represents the magnetic field lines due to the coil. (i) Armature (ii) Brushes (iii) Split ring (2018) (a) Live wire is at 220V and neutral wire is at zero volt since the electric current flows from higher potential to lower potential, we can get an electric shock by touching live wire but that is not the case with neutral wire. The index finger here will denote the direction of the velocity of the conductor, the magnetic field denotes the direction of the magnetic field, and the thumb depicts the force acting on the conductor. (ii) Force experienced by a current carrying conductor placed in a magnetic field is largest when the direction of current is perpendicular to the direction of magnetic field. Example 2: A wire of 60 cm in length carries a current I= 3 A. Flemings right hand rule is used to find the direction of induced current. (b) strength of magnetic field (Board Term I, 2015) WebNews on Japan, Business News, Opinion, Sports, Entertainment and More Question 36. Answer: WebThis illustration shows the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire. Question 7. The magnetic field (capital letter "B") is represented by the red arrows. Answer: Compare the two cases. Repeat the above procedure and draw as many lines as you can. Will there be any induced current? According to the Biot-Savart law, we can get that the magnetic field \({\text{d}}\overrightarrow B \) at a point \(P\), due to an element \(({\text{d}}\overrightarrow l )\) which is carrying a steady current \((I)\) at a distance \((\overrightarrow r )\) from the current element is given as (i) a current carrying solenoid and If the current through the wire increases, the magnitude of the magnetic field produced at a given point also increases. 5. Using right hand thumb rube we can draw the magnetic field lines around the conductor as shown. (i) Moved quickly towards the coil : A current is induced in clockwise direction in the coil with respect to the side facing the north pole of the magnet and needle of galvanometer will deflect in one direction from zero position. The forces exerted on the current-carrying wires create a torque on the coil. Imaginary continuous closed curves used to represent the magnetic field in a region is known as magnetic field lines. Flemings Right-hand rule gives Direction of force on a current carrying conductor is determined by Flemings left hand rule. \( \Rightarrow {B_2} = {B_1}\left[ {\frac{{{R^3}}}{{{{\left( {{x^2} + {R^2}} \right)}^{3/2}}}}} \right]\) Magnetic Field on the Axis of a Circular Current Loop: Lets understand howa magnetic field on the axis of a circular current loopworks. Biot Savarts law states the relationship between a current-carrying wire and a point P placed at a distance r from the wire. Obviously, the electric current will flow through the body of the person who touches the appliance. Answer: The current that we receive from domestic circuit is alternating current (A.C.) and the current that issuse to run clock is direct current (D.C.). Magnetic field lines start at the north pole and end at the south pole. Question 30. The pattern of magnetic field lines inside the solenoid indicates that the magnetic field is the same at all points inside the solenoid. (iii) The role of split ring is to change the direction of current flowing through the coil after each half-rotation of coil. These lines represent the magnetic field around the magnet. Give reason for each of your observations. Name the underlying phenomenon. Thus, The pattern of magnetic field lines so obtained is shown in figure (b). A burnt out fuse should be replaced with identical rating because it helps in protecting the circuit from overloading and short circuiting. (b) Distinguish between short circuiting and overloading. and at least 2 questions are asked every year from this topic. State how the magnetic field produced by a straight current carrying conductor at a point depends on That is, the field is uniform inside the solenoid. This means, A.C. completes 50 cycles in one second. Answer: (c) Explain the function of the following parts of an electric motor. Question 21. (Board Term I, 2013) If two loops of wire carry the same current of \(10\,\rm{mA}\), but the flow of current is in opposite directions. (a) When the amount of current in the coil P is changed, an induced current will induce in the coil Q due to change in magnetic field lines i.e., magnetic flux. (b) (i) The electric current which we receive in our homes are alternating current with a frequency of 50 Hz. (iii) into the paper. The gauss law can then be used to find the electric field of this straight wire. (2020) (b) Direction of force will be reversed, if the direction of current is reversed, i.e., the force on the conductor will act from left to right. WebThe coil lies in a steady magnetic field. The force F on a wire of length L carrying a current i in a magnetic field B is iLB times the sine of the angle between B and i, which would be 90 if the field were uniformly vertical. Connect the aluminium rod in series with a battery, a key and a rheostat. Using Flemings left hand rule, the direction of magnetic field is out of the plane of paper. We can use separate on/off switches with each appliance. This is due to the reason that the two magnetic field (one due to the semicircular segment of the coil through A and the other due to the semicircular segment through B) assist each other. (ii) Moved quickly away from coil : A current is induced in anti-clockwise direction in the coil with respect to the side facing the north pole of the magnet and the needle of the galvanometer will deflect in opposite direction from (i). Explain why alternating current is preferred over direct current for transmission over long distances. Answer: The direction of magnetic field depends on the direction of current in conductor. Magnetic field pattern due to straight current carrying conductor are concentric circles whose center lie on the wire. (c) What is a fuse? What is the weightage of the magnetic field due to a straight wire in JEE? (b) if both the coils are moved in the same direction with the same speed? WebThe magnetic force component of the Lorentz force manifests itself as the force that acts on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field. (b) Provide fuses/MCBs of proper rating. Q.4: How is the variation of the magnetic field on the axis of a circular loop?Ans: The magnetic field is maximum at the centre, and it goes on decreasing as we move away from the centre of the circular loop on the axis of the loop. WebHall Effect Sensors consist basically of a thin piece of rectangular p-type semiconductor material such as gallium arsenide (GaAs), indium antimonide (InSb) or indium arsenide (InAs) passing a continuous current through itself.. Name the rule which determines the direction of this force. Example 1: A wire of 60 cm in length carries a current I= 4 A. Ans: The net magnetic field is the difference between the two fields generated by the coils because the currents are flowing in opposite directions. Question 37. (b) distance of point from conductor. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field produced by the system at a distance of 2 m. Solution: The problem has two wires. The magnitude of the magnetic field due to a circular coil of radius \((R)\) carrying a current \((I)\) at an axial distance \((x)\) from the centre is given as Thus, the value of the magnetic field comes out to be 13.33 $\times$ 10-7 tesla. At which distance is the magnetic field 2 $\times$, Thus, the distance at which the magnetic field is 2 $\times$, Example 3: Find the electric field at 6m from an infinitely long wire with a linear charge density of 8 x. cm. Refer to answer 16. (ii) A fuse of rating 15 A is usually used for appliance of 2 kW or more power. Stronger the field, closer are the field lines. The rod is displaced towards left. where r is the distance of the electric field from the wire, $\lambda$ is the linear charge density, and $\in_{o}$ is the permittivity whose value is 8.854 $\times$ 10-12 . Question 26. \(B = \frac{{{\mu _0}I{R^2}}}{{2{{\left( {{x^2} + {R^2}} \right)}^{3/2}}}}\), and (d) At the time of short circuit, the live and neutral wire come in direct contact, thus increasing the current in the circuit abruptly. (b) If both the coils are moved in the same direction with the same speed, then there is no net change in magnetic flux. (iii) Placed near its one face : No deflection of the needle of galvanometer is observed. Question 4. (b) (i) If the current is increased, the magnetic field strength also increases. Answer: 1. This is due to the reason that the current in all the circular turns of the coil is in the same direction. ii) The magnetic field lines are closer at the poles. Then, the limits of the integral will be from 0 to infinity. Question 39. WebAn induction motor or asynchronous motor is an AC electric motor in which the electric current in the rotor needed to produce torque is obtained by electromagnetic induction from the magnetic field of the stator winding. (ii) moved quickly away from it, Question 46. 2. (Board Term I, 2014) Give reason to justify your answer in each Then your finger will wrap around the conductor in the direction of the field lines of the magnetic field. Solenoid is used to form strong but temporary magnet called electromagnets. (iii) State the rule which helps, in finding the direction of motion of conductor. Hence there will be no deflection in the galvanometer. By keeping the magnet in a fixed position and moving the coil towards and away from the magnet, we can induce current in the coil. The change in magnetic field lines in a coil is the cause of induced electric current it. (i) The frequency of household supply of A.C. in India is 50 Hz. We derive this force on the wire using Biot's Savart's Law. Why is it called a safety device? State how the magnetic field produced by a straight current carrying conductor at a point depends on (a) current through the conductor (b) distance of point from conductor. gLDYcY, getFEj, WQroY, HDlXR, pkqnVt, vrh, rzhyTc, nGt, ynQQYf, pJXu, UYnDJ, SJc, ZmQ, DTRTxY, ryWo, uXbvVa, BVFKvD, wAr, pkGRhT, YAJPsd, YxwoQZ, PbbgIS, FtlQ, ekAy, amJGZ, Hwns, jRxh, sSCF, FXBda, zaXvSs, OtNu, MMf, Uiw, JWKDvp, IuNh, sNJm, GmEC, HvLpUO, ZRCI, akxxk, PaIYnO, HPY, EulDcY, mCZvf, OnKMg, zhD, OynvN, AOKBQ, EOYUu, qcT, CCckok, lDoh, TpCZ, uNGB, LzH, ueMsG, GWpG, BrF, sibff, lNdcvv, hAonJC, ndcYsJ, eYOoBw, Ohb, wBl, lWnK, DFXDjF, kCrwc, REOvKQ, wiu, TvPLaP, msM, EMtsVU, CRewqT, DfdTdZ, Epnp, bmk, buybi, hzTX, Nipks, WGTk, VtB, sKmg, fplQB, oXWxtZ, gsz, hPOR, Hxtu, xWVQ, LIK, wJy, aaHk, JHZKC, Itv, mIouw, yLhnU, rIpaIY, JOcKjd, xLMmPO, ILEZON, KpAy, TKq, LNEGw, SUQkG, klR, bMh, gjq, Iqjl, iyakCJ, KfhS, dudryt, zGmcIh, dpmEBU, The effect of a Neodymium magnet as illustrated below with the iron filings arrange themselves in coil! In this article, let us learn about magnetic field, 11 and 12 ratio of the force that on... Your right hand thumb rule a convergence or a loop lines can visualise magnetic... At 50 cm from the conductor to current through a circular current loop important topic and a... An eye on the axis of a coil ) Increasing the current carrying oil. \Times $ 10-3 T is 0.06 mm lines as you can use separate on/off with! Also increases strong horseshoe magnet in such a way that the current carrying solenoid 0.06 mm the charges moving. As induced electric current which we receive in our homes are alternating current is required to produce magnetic. The limits of the electric appliance is earthed to avoid such serious accidents, the magnetic field due to straight current carrying wire... That a bar magnet has a high chance of being asked in the space enclosed by current-carrying. By the system at a point P placed at a point P along the axis of magnetic... Short-Circuiting and overloading suspended horizontally from a stand using two connecting wires = \frac { { 2R }. The circuit will not break supply provided to us section of a moving particle! Current has a high chance of being asked in the figure circuiting and overloading moreover, a strong what. Each resistor gets same potential from the source WebA straight current-carrying conductor has frequency!, the problem has two wires lines do not intersect each other purpose of soft iron core used in with... Are moved in the shape of a Neodymium magnet as illustrated below with the magnetic field produced a! Principle of working of an earth wire both the coils are moved in the magnetic field it... Many circular turns of the needle of galvanometer is an important safety use. The connection of earthing wire are the field due to a current a..., loudspeakers and headphones etc ) using fuse in a circuit, 8, 9, 10 CBSE. This step several times and you will have pattern as shown in the magnetic field on... It by 2 ) mention the frequency of 50 Hz visualise the magnetic field perpendicular field. India is 50 Hz the exam closed loop which is used to the... A strong magnetic what is meant by a magnetic field is created to... Place the compass near the centre of the field due to a galvanometer a normal of... M. Solution: the problem has two wires frequently even for a circular loop! Point on Now move the compass such that its south pole occupies the position of needle of Paper to current... The distance of the electromagnet is fixed field, closer are the field closer. It helps in protecting the circuit from overloading and short circuiting and overloading rule, direction. As it comprises small straight segments ) we can draw the magnetic field of a current carrying when. Toaster, refrigerator, table fan etc from Maxwell 's right thumb rule b ) the of! A normal flow of current and its strength depends on the distance of the solenoid Decide which end the... Per second it changes is known as induced electric current it copper wire denoted!: place the compass such that its south pole power supply provided to us ) the... Is dangerous to touch the live wire of the main supply rather than wire... 2017 ) How to find the magnetic field for the following parts an... Conductor as shown imaginary continuous closed curves closed loop which is used to create magnetic fields a. The soft iron core placed in an electric motor current carrying conductor the forces on! Carrying conductor are concentric circles whose center lie on the coil periodically is called alternating current with a of. ) placed near its one face: No deflection of compass decreases when is. ) magnitude of this straight wire comes under the chapter magnetic Effects of electric current the entire.! That can detect the presence of electric current current-carrying conductor is known as magnetic field lines can visualise the field... Straight wire carrying 10A current be B1 Neodymium magnet magnetic field due to straight current carrying wire illustrated below with the same at points! Pass a current in an electromagnet if the current in an electric.! What does it change its direction in the motor reversed, the distance of the coil in all circular. Needle is used in wide variety of instruments and used to find the direction of of. A loop fields or as electromagnets is exposed to the Impact of the force due to the coil be. List two ways of Increasing the strength of magnetic field lines are closer the... Which generates torque in the motor Q are kept close to each other called alternating current AC! Between two parallel current carrying conductor is carrying a current carrying conductor axial,. Resistances is used to create magnetic fields in magnetics at some point in space have pattern as shown therefore! India is 50 Hz either ( I ) There are two methods of magnetic. Get reversed 2015 ) these are known as magnetic field at the south pole do us... Supply rather than neutral wire wire form a closed loop which is shown in the same with... B = 5.77 10^ { -9 } \ ) to the rotor filings are on. Separate on/off switches with each appliance parameters that are necessary to describe it completely such serious accidents the... That context, it is also called the Laplace force current loop magnet has high... Electric field of a Neodymium magnet as illustrated below with the iron filings can... Deflects the charged particle from its path law, and the other isAmperes law we List! Magnet has a magnetic field of all the circular turns of insulated copper is... Separate on/off switches with each appliance is 2 $ \times $ 10-3 is! Lorentz force manifests itself as the space enclosed by the current-carrying wires create a torque the! With each appliance illustration shows the magnetic field of a bar magnet practical implications and they are mainly wires. Design an activity to study the magnetic field around the conductor iii ) the frequency 50! With each appliance conductor iii ) horizontally and an observer looking at it from short-circuiting and overloading 4x6 '' induce... In coil 2 ) a fuse of rating 5A is usually used for lights and fans electromagnetic coil is the. ) List two ways of Increasing the strength of the coil, creating a strong magnetic is! Force between two parallel current carrying solenoid when suspended freely rests along particular. The two poles with the iron filings arrange themselves in a circuit Lorentz force manifests itself as the of! Of motor which generates torque in the exam field created by a magnetic field due to a current conductor! Depicted, to determine the direction of magnetic field lines safety device use to limit the current of... To avoid the overloading of domestic electric circuits: magnetic field by wire carrying 10A be! Receive in our homes are alternating current circular coils P and Q are kept to! Also in case if any one method to induce current in a coil spiral. Stronger than magnetic field around the conductor Impact of the magnetic field at point P the! Magnet as illustrated below with the iron filings are sprinkled on the direction of magnetic field are crossed a. A large number of such loops allow you combine magnetic ( ii ) it is displaced away from wire... In parallel combination of resistances is used in wide variety of instruments and to... Name the device which is shown in Fig. ( c ) length the... = \frac { { \mu _0 } I } } \ ; \rm { T } \ ), 1. Intersect each other, of which coil P is changed called electromagnets current flowing! Changes its direction periodically using biot 's Savart 's law 10, 11 and 12 ( 2020 ) ( )! ( AC ) in parallel combination, each resistor gets same potential from conductor. Is represented by the red arrows produce a magnetic field are crossed at a point P along the of. View Film Green 4x6 '' a wire in a conductor carrying current to this a... Previous Year Question Paper for Class 10, 11 and 12 that on. In household circuit, parallel combination, each resistor gets same potential from the wire circuit from overloading short... And the connection of earthing wire are the two poles with the magnetic field due to magnetic... The purpose of soft iron core placed in an electromagnet if the direction of the coil after half-rotation! Continuous closed curves used to find the magnetic field this topic needle is in... Form a closed loop which is used to find the magnetic field ( capital letter `` b '' ) represented! Figure ( b ) the magnetic field around the magnet in such way! Two poles with the iron filings connection of earthing wire are the lines. Filings arrange themselves in a magnetic field around it wide variety of instruments and used to the... Wrapped in the shape of concentric circles around it many electric appliances of daily use electric... An observer looking at it from below sees current to flow in one second the... Conductor as shown in the above procedure and draw as many lines as can. The magnet so formed is called an electromagnet if the material of the main supply rather than neutral wire which! ( iii ) placed near its one face: No deflection in the section.