In a large pot, combine 4 cups of water, salt, sugar, garlic, thyme, and rosemary and bring to a boil. Set your smoker to 230 to 250 degrees and smoke your whole chicken for 3 hours. Every home chef needs a reliable meat thermometer to cook food perfectly. Smoke until the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Locate the spine, and cut either side of the backbone all the way along the bird. Cover and let cool. Brine as necessary (see notes below). Traeger Chicken Rub Instructions Preheat your grill according to factory instructions to 400-450 degrees Tie the legs together on your chicken with baker's twine. If you aren't spatchcocking the chicken and removing the backbone of the chicken (see instructions below), you should tie the legs with. It can also be refrigerated for up to 3 day s. Smoked Whole Chicken What You Will Need Smoker Wood chips/chunks/pellets (depending upon your smoker). Cooked on my new Traeger grill. Set smoker to 225 and cook, breast side down, for one hour Flipped bird over and cooked at 250 for 2 hours Monitored temps throughout the cook and removed at 155 degrees Without a doubt, this was the best-tasting whole bird I have ever cooked. See my book on Amazon: The Home Chefs Sous Vide Cookbook. Before smoking remove the chicken from the brine and pat it dry. See my guide on where to eat in Portland, OR. Insert temperature probes. Lets smoke some tasty food! After the chicken has brined, remove each quarter from the ziplock, and pat dry with paper towels. Have a great barbecue! 1 teaspoon smoked paprika 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper Instructions Preheat the grill to 225 degrees. (Marinating overnight is optional and not required). Grilling Instructions: Make my recipe for a basic chicken brine and follow the instructions for how to make it. Place on the smoker and close. Big time tasty. Prep the smoker for indirect-heat cooking at 250 F with a drip pan filled with hot water under where the chicken will be placed. Increase the temperature of your smoker to 300 degrees. Make the seasoning mix: In a small bowl, stir together the salt, garlic flakes, onion flakes, thyme, paprika, parsley, black pepper, and coriander. Untie the legs. Take a boring, bland chicken, spice it up a bit, and you'll be amazed at how well it smokes! You can also use your favorite store-bought rub. A dry rub will enhance the flavor of the chicken without using moisture or a liquid marinade. With all smoking recipes, we are not cooking by time but the final temperature. Refrigerate overnight. Get used to evenly cooked, moist, juicy, and delicious meat - both white AND dark. Cook for 12-13 minutes with the lid closed. Add the chicken to the brine, making sure it is fully submerged and weighing down if necessary. You can use a Traeger grill or any smoker you have for this easy recipe. It will need to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Smoke spatchcocked chicken at 225 degrees F for 30 minutes. Cover and smoke until the internal temperature on an instant-read thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh reads 160F, about 2 hours 15 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes. Learn More. Turn the heat to 350 degrees and close the lid for 15 minutes while it warms up. Rub the chicken with oil, and coat generously with the chicken rub. How to Make these Smoked Chicken Wings on a Traeger. Brandi currently lives in Kansas City, Missouri and is a self-taught cook and fitness enthusiast. Macros are provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. Hands-off cooking. Place the chicken, breast side down and locate the backbone of the chicken. To measure the temperature of a whole chicken, insert a digital thermometer into the thickest part of the breast. Remove when the internal temperature reaches 160-165 degrees F. Sorry, something went wrong. Let it smoke at 225 degrees for 1 hour. Close the door. Use either the Traeger blend or apple wood pellets to smoke whole chicken. Youll learn exactly how to make the best smoked whole chicken without brine. When ready to cook, set Traeger temperature to 225 and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes. Transfer the salt water to the bag containing the chicken. Rinse and pat the whole chicken dry with a paper towel. Im gonna make it at my moms one day, how long would you suggest for 2 chickens? Preheat smoker to 225F with lid closed for 10 minutes. Giblets are the little bundle of parts and usually include the neck, the gizzard, which is a muscle that grinds up food before it enters the digestive system, the heart, and the liver. Be careful not to cut yourself. Let the chicken rest for 30 minutes before cutting into it or when it is ready to serve. If you like crispy skin, when the chicken reaches 150 degrees of internal temperature, adjust the heat on the smoker to 350 degrees and cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Place the chicken in the middle of the smoker. Use your favorite bbq rub or poultry seasoning. This easy smoked chicken recipe is a game changer. Place the chicken either directly on the grill grates or on a stainless steel cooling rack. Use it in salads, wraps, sandwiches and grain bowls! Web Traeger Whole Smoked Chicken By Traeger Kitchen (0) Wrap your next poultry cook with a little smoke. Remove the chicken from the smoker and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Be careful, its hot! Aim for the middle of the smoker for your chicken (s). Grill on high for 30 minutes, then turn temperature down to 325 degrees F for the remaining time it takes for the chicken to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Best chicken smoker recipes from Sip Bite Go, Tasty whole chicken recipes from Sip Bite Go, Smoked Whole Chicken Recipe With Traeger Instructions | Sip Bite Go, https://sipbitego.com/smoked-whole-chicken, Easy Air Fryer Broccoli (Fresh or Frozen), BBQ Grilled Butterflied Chicken Drumsticks, Pellet Smoker Butterflied Chicken Drumsticks, 15+ Easy Potato Side Dish Recipes For Steak, How To Make Turkey Gravy From Packet Taste Better. Your email address will not be published. The best type of wood and flavored pellets to use are cherry, apple, alder, oak, and hickory. Grill the wings for 30-40 minutes, turning half-way through. Allow to cook for 2 hours or until internal temp. Once your smoker reaches 350 degrees, place it in the center making sure it is flat and won't tip over. Learn how your comment data is processed. Read recipe notes submitted by our community or add your own notes. Then increase the temperature to 400 degrees F. Baste smoked spatchcock chicken with melted butter. Copyright 2022 Stay Snatched | Wisteria on Trellis Framework by Mediavine, how to cook whole chicken on Traeger, smoked whole chicken, Traeger smoked chicken, Traeger smoked whole chicken, Traeger whole chicken. See how to roast turkey breast in the oven and smoked turkey breast. Plug in and turn on the electric smoker and set the temperature to 275F. New to smoking a whole chicken? Dream big with your leftover BBQ smoked chicken! It's also fabulous with Grilled Broccoli and Grilled Potatoes! The olive oil in the rub will help keep the chicken moist as well as crisp up the chicken skin. If you arent looking to make the pollo asado version, you can marinate the chicken using soy sauce. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Secondly, refrigerate the chicken (with the rub) uncovered overnight. After 12 hours in the brine, remove the chicken from the bucket, and pat dry with paper towels. This may take 1 to 1.5 hours. She is the author of The Super Easy Air Fryer Cookbook and has been featured on Good Morning America and in Women's Health Magazine, Shape, Parade, Essence, Country Living, Southern Living, BuzzFeed, Delish, The Kansas City Star, Kansas City Spaces Magazine, Greatist, and more. Some people save these and cook them up or make gravy. Follow this step-by-step guide for smoking whole chicken with tips on buying, prepping, brines, injections, rubs, smoking woods, and a time and temp guide. Refrigerate the chicken, uncovered, overnight. I usually test several areas of the chicken to be sure. Allow the chicken to rest for a minimum of 15-20 minutes prior to slicing to allow the juices to settle. Required fields are marked *. Ensure it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees. My mission is to help you make wholesome & delicious food from scratch without spending hours in the kitchen. Maintain the smoker temperature at 375 and cook the chicken to an internal temperature of at least 165. Rub in well with your hands, getting under the skin on the breasts and thighs. You will usually save time with the spatchcock method (usually an hour or so), so if youre in a hurry I recommend it. See my best Traeger smoked whole chicken RECIPE BELOW It's loaded with flavor from the pellet smoker. Rub the spice paste all over the chicken (use all of the rub). Preheat a Traeger pellet grill or other smoker to 225F (105C). Your email address will not be published. Smoking a whole chicken can sound intimidating, but I process its not! Leftovers (if you even have any!) Raise smoker temperature to 350 degrees F. Let cook for 1 hour - 1 hour 30 minutes, opening the smoker 2-3 times to quickly baste with melted ghee or butter (if you want). The cooking time is 2 hours 15 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes to smoke a whole chicken. Instructions. Baste the chicken with melted butter every 30 minutes until the deepest part of the breast meat reaches 165F, around 2 - 2.5 hours. 35. r/Traeger. Im Nicki Sizemore, a trained chef, recipe developer and cookbook author. Transfer smoked whole chicken to a cutting board to rest, covered with foil, for at least 20 minutes to let the juices settle. Pour the concentrated brine solution and stir to combine. You will need to remove the contents of the inner cavity. This whole chicken is brined, seasoned with our Big Game rub, lemon, garlic, fresh thyme and mesquite smoked for some smokin' flavor. Pat chicken dry. This Traeger Smoked Whole Chicken can be marinated or seasoned with a dry rub. This low and slow start will let the smoke flavor penetrate the bird. This post may contain affiliate links. That sweet smoked grill flavor is to die for. If you pull chicken wings at 165F, they tend to be a little rubbery, yet still cooked through. Tie the chicken legs together. How to Smoke a Whole Chicken. In this video I'll show you how to smoke a whole chicken so it's juicy, tender, smokey and CRISPY. Categories BBQ and Cookout Recipes, Chicken, Chicken Dinner, Grilling Recipes, Traeger and Smoker Recipes, Home Traeger and Smoker Recipes Traeger Smoked Whole Chicken (Two Ways). It was so flavorful and juicy. Tent it loosly with foil while it rests. Heres what you need to make Traeger smoked chicken. Looking for new ways to use your air fryer? Make the brine: In a large pot, combine the salt, sugar, and water, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Do you struggle with staying consistent at meal prepping? Chicken is safe when cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove the chicken once the breast is 165F and the thigh is 170 F. In this case, remove the chicken from the smoker when the internal temperature is around 145-150F. Add additional spices if necessary. See my favorite smoker tools and seasonings in my Amazon Storefront. Sprinkle pepper on the chicken. For the best results, smoke a whole chicken at 225 degrees Fahrenheit. 1 / 6. Tie the legs back together. Smoked whole chicken can be frozen up to 6 months. Once the electric smoker is up to temperature, load your wood chips in the chip loading tray. Turn on the Traeger grill or pellet smoker youre using, to preheat for 15 minutes at 250F OR 375F. Flip the chicken over and flatten the breasts of the chicken you should hear a crack. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the chicken. Chicken On A Traeger - Step-By-Step Set t he temperature of your Traeger to 300 F Place chicken on the grill. Add seasoned whole bird to the smoker and smoke Traeger whole chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Love smoked foods? Stir until the salt dissolves, then remove from the heat. Oak is another good flavor for chicken. 25. r/Traeger. Please refresh your page or try again later. Scroll to the bottom of the page for my full-length Youtube video. Don't believe me? Place the whole chicken on top of the can of beer, with half the amount of beer in it, and make sure the chicken breast side is pointing up. Join our Air Fryer and Instant Pot Facebook Group. Let chicken skin dry out a bit (optional but recommended if you like super crispy skin) If you have time, refrigerate the seasoned whole chicken before smoking it for 15 minutes to 2 hours (or overnight). Season the entire chicken and rub the spices into the skin. Smoked Whole Chicken on the Traeger Grill - I used Hickory wood pellets. Fully submerge the chicken in a brine bucket or something similar. Carve and enjoy. Allow the mixture to cool down. I found most recipes too bland, too salty or too dry. The main difference between a dry rub and a marinade is the absence of moisture. A classic potato side dish like sous vide little potatoes, crock pot sweet potatoes, a topping of caramelized onions, and a vegetable like sauteed carrots or sous vide asparagus are great ideas. Excited to try ribs for my next bbq. This helps keep them from browning quickly and is great for presentation. I like to use thesecooking shears from Amazon. Let sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. This information is calculated using MyFitnessPal.com. Whole Chicken. Cook time will vary based on the size of your chicken and can range from 3-6 hours. Let the chicken stand for 15-20 minutes before slicing to allow juices to set. Smoked Spatchcock Chicken House of Nash Eats. Place your chicken on the grill, breast side up. This recipe for (smoked) beer can chicken is the absolute BEST! Blend the ingredients until it creates a thick sauce. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil or I like to use this. Gently massage to fully coat all the chicken. Heat the smoker. Traeger Grill Traeger Pellets Instant Read Meat Thermometer Beer Can Chicken Holder Grill Skillet Ingredients 1 5 lb chicken 2 tsp salt 2 tsp paprika 1 tsp cayenne pepper 1 tsp onion powder 1 tsp thyme 1 tsp white pepper 1/2 tsp garlic powder 1/2 tsp black pepper 1 can beer Instructions When ready to cook, set Traeger to smoke. While the grill preheats, remove the chicken from the brine and rinse well, then pat dry with paper towels. Log In to your account to view and add notes to this recipe.Don't have an account? Add the chopped vegetables and spices and remove from heat. Step 1:- . Traeger Whole Smoked Chicken By Traeger Kitchen (0) Wrap your next poultry cook with a little smoke. Meanwhile add potatoes to a sheetpan lined with parchment paper. whole chicken made easy on a pellet grill by the master himself. Growing up, I didnt learn to cook. Spatchcocked Chicken On A Traeger Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 1 hour 30 minutes Additional Time 20 minutes Total Time 2 hours Ingredients 1 whole chicken Barbecue rub Instructions Place the chicken with the breast side facing downwards. Smoke for about 3-4 hours, checking the temperature. stay tremendously juicy and are delicious for smoked nachos, chicken taco pizza, wraps, bbq chicken tacos or chicken spinach pizza the next day. The total time to cook will vary based on the size of your chicken. Put the chicken, spiced side down on the grill and liberally season the underside of the chicken. This post may contain affiliate links. Remove the bird's backbone by cutting along both sides of the backbone with poultry shears or a good knife. It runs down the middle of the back and below the neck. Love to eat out and travel? Super Smoke. Then, increase the temperature of your Traeger to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Zip the bag to seal. Or a smoker temperature of 375F for about 20-25 minutes a pound. However, I highly recommend that you use an internal probe to monitor the temperature of the meat. There is no need to soak the wood chips in water. You can also place it in broth to keep it juicy while it bakes. You can use any wood chips or wood pellets you prefer (I love the Traeger Signature Blend ). ), Ultimate Whole Smoked Chicken Recipe (Traeger Smoked Chicken), Forget dry, bland smoked chicken!! Meal Prep Guide: How to Meal Prep Like a Boss. I love to use the marinade from my Pollo Asado Recipe. Next, loosen the skin and stuff between the meat and skin lemon slices, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Drying out the chicken skin is always great, but if you are in a rush you can skip it. Transfer to a cutting board and let the chicken rest for 15 minutes. Place the chicken flat onto the smoker, breast and skin side facing up. Smoke chicken at 375F for about 60-90 minutes, until it reaches a safe initial temperature of 165F. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast. Insert the probe into the thickest part of the chicken leg. It results in tender, juicy chicken with crispy skin and an incredible flavor all the way down to the bone. This easy smoked chicken recipe is a game changer. Pour in the remaining 8 cups of water. DO NOT OPEN THE GRILL for 70 minutes. Flip the chicken breast side up and use your palm to press down on the breasts to flatten. Add seasoned whole bird to the smoker and smoke Traeger whole chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F. They're tasty, ready in 70 minutes, and always a crowd-pleaser. When ready to cook, set the Traeger temperature to 225 and preheat with the lid closed for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes (the internal temperature will rise to 165F) before carving. This whole chicken is brined, seasoned with our chicken rub, lemon, 133 Show detail Preview View more I develop easy recipes that can transform your kitchen into a restaurant and you into a true home chef. The chicken is ready to take off the grill when the temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Rub 1 1/2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix and the lemon zest all over the chicken. How to Smoke a Whole Chicken on a Pit Boss, Traeger or Z Grills Pellet Grill. 5. . Reheat on 325 degrees in the oven until warm. While the grill preheats, remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry. I am definitely trying the Spatchcock method the next time I make this! Set the temperature to high, and close the lid and preheat for an additional 10-15 minutes until it reaches 450 degrees. Until I fell in love with a chef. You will need to let the chicken rest for at least 15 minutes prior to slicing. Brandis goal is to share recipes that support a consistently healthy lifestyle. No. Flavor note: in this demo, I used Meat Church Holy Cow BBQ Rub, but you can use any BBQ dry rub or poultry seasoning). While the meat cooks, it reads the temperature so I know exactly what temp meat is as its cooking. back into the meat. Once the temperature reaches 160 degrees in the thickest part of the breast, its ready! Spread room temperature unsalted butter underneath the skin and on the outside of the whole chicken. Easy Smoked Chicken on a Traeger Oh Sweet Basil. The photos and video feature chicken in my Sip Bite Go recipe demo was smoked at 250 degrees for a couple of hours. I will be using this method again! Position the chicken directly onto the grill grate. Rub the seasoning blend evenly over the entire chicken. When the chicken reaches 165F remove from the smoker and set aside to rest ~10 minutes. Remove giblets from inside of roaster chicken and rinse bird with fresh water. Join. The resulting bring must be below 40F when adding chickens. Read recipe notes submitted by our community or add your own notes. Sign Up, Shop the Sale & Get Grill Assembly and Delivery from a Local Dealer. Once the smoker has come up to the desired temperature, place the chicken in and close the lid. The smoked chicken in the Sip Bite Go demo was cooked at 250F for a couple hours). Never in a million years did I imagine Id ditch the 9-5 lifestyle in my late 20s, move across the country on a whim, start a new life, start a food blog, and write a book. Apply the rub to the underside of each quarter, and then underneath the skin. I recommend thawing in the refrigerator or in cold water. Im a huge fan of serving a family meal, or get together dish, with one of my tasty whole chicken recipes as the centerpiece. Its best to slice the chicken before freezing it. Your email address will not be published. To do this, you will have to remove the backbone from the chicken. Turn the drumsticks so that they are positioned properly. Preheat a Traeger pellet grill or other smoker to 225F (105C). Please be safe. We're looking for 165 in all portions of the chicken. 217. Take the chicken out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. While the majority of pictures show the chickens being smoked in an . Our Traeger whole chicken recipe makes it super simple and is one of the easiest ways to cook dinner for your family. 0:23 options for preparing a whole chicken 1:30 how to season whole chicken 2:20 grill temperature options 2:42 how to. After wet brining for 24 hrs. Rub with the minced garlic. Then I turn the temperature up to 300 degrees until the chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature. This flavor-packed smoker recipe is one of the fastest, too. Hey home chefs, hope that answers all your questions about how to set your Traeger for smoking chicken that turns out super tasty. This will open it up and allow it to lay flat. Using kitchen twine, tie together the legs if needed. So I wanted to see how easy, and how simple I could make a smoked whole chicken on a Traeger. Excited to try burgers for my next cookout. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Truss the legs together with butcher's twine and secure the wings. Mix the dry rub ingredients together before sprinkling over the chicken. Smoked chicken pairs perfectly with Skillet Cornbread (or Jalapeo Cheddar Cornbread Muffins) and Coleslaw. Pre-heat smoker to 225F. Place the chicken directly on the grill grate. 375 degrees F for about 60 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. See recipe. I can totally relate. Tie the legs together with twine and tuck the wings into the thighs if desired. Lets smoke some tasty food! This smoked whole chicken recipe is now one of my favorite recipes, and I hope you'll love it too. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. While the chicken rests, moisture is redistributed. Make a turkey thankful and get stuffed on chicken instead. Instructions. Place the chicken directly on the grill grates, close the lid, and smoke until the internal temperature reaches 160, 2 1/2-3 hours. My Dry Rub for Chicken recipe works great for this recipe and is also what I use for my Dry Rub Chicken Wings. You can discard if you wish. (I was actually banned from cooking for years). Its really difficult to overcook food when you know exactly what temp it is inside! Place the chicken in the smoker. This helps amplify the flavors of the spices and herbs. Traeger Kitchen Whole Smoked Chicken 4.4 (72) 10 3 Mesquite Wrap your next poultry cook with a little smoke. Soy sauce will tenderize the meat. Or a smoker temperature of 375F for about 20-25 minutes a pound. Check the internal temperature and allow the wings to reach 175 F for the best results. So join me today to learn exactly how to make the best smoked whole chicken. Youll notice, I kind of geek out over new cooking trends and tools! Stuff the cavity with the lemon, onion, whole garlic cloves, and thyme. This will allow the spices and salt to permeate into the meat. For this smoke, it only took 1 hour and 45 minutes. Heat a smoker on smoke (on traeger use the super smoke) with the lid opened for 5 minutes. I have to admit that for years I didn't like smoked chicken. Discard the brine. The breasts are perfectly cooked and the poultrys legs look perfectly crafted. But heres what it means. Pour out half the beer into your mouth, and then shove the open can where the sun doesn't shine in the chicken. Preheat the Traeger Grill to 225F. Place the chicken on the rack in the center of the Traeger Grill. The secret is out: cooking a whole bird looks so much fancier than it is! Make the best Traeger smoked chicken with a simple BBQ rub. Thanks for sharing this! When ready to cook, set the Traeger temperature to 225F and preheat with the lid closed for 15 minutes. Sprinkle salt on chicken. Fire up your pellet grill and heat to 350 F. When the grill is a at 350 F, place the chicken breasts on the grill. Instagram me @sipbitego & chef hubs @handmodelpatrick. Cook for 1.5 hours and check the internal meat temperature. Below are the ingredients:BRINE SOLUTION:1/2 CUP KOSHER SALT1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR~1 GA. This 4 1/2 pound bird took about 4 hours. You can also use a knife, be careful! Best Smoked Whole Chicken Without Brine (Traeger Demo) Sip Bite Go. You can use a dry rub or a liquid marinade for the chicken. This will help ensure the chicken cooks at an even and consistent temperature and the legs dont burn. Giblets are typically inside. Carve the chicken and serve. Close the lid and cook until the internal temperature reaches 160F, 3 1/2-4 hours. Traeger Smoked Whole Chicken serves 5 people Total Time: 45 min Prep Time: 10 min Pellet Type: Blend Smoke Temp: 150 degrees Internal Temp: 200 degrees A whole chicken is by far the easiest and friendliest smoking project you can take on. My goal was to have a meal we could pop in during the day when working from home, so we had a really nice weekday meal. Bring the brine to a boil, stir, and then remove from the heat and let the brine come down to room temp. For dessert, try easy Grilled Peaches. PSST beginners to smoking food check out the full step by step video at the bottom of this post its about 3 minutes long and will walk you through the whole thing! When ready to cook, set the Traeger temperature to 225F and preheat with the lid closed for 15 minutes. Check the temperature of the chicken and cook until it reaches 165 F in the center of the meat.*. Since then, Ive been on a mission to figure out easy ways to make restaurant style food at home and share it here on Sip Bite Go. Anything that goes with pan grilled chicken is a great side dish for smoked chicken, too. (Set temperature based on how fast you want it to cook, based on the next step. Happy 4th Everyone. Toss to coat in EVOO, salt and pepper. If you don't have poultry shears, a sharp knife will do. This post contains affiliate links. Remove the cooked chicken from the grill and allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes. Just had this tonight for dinner and WOW it was so good and juicey!! Spray the chicken with the cooking spray. Mix the remaining spice mixture with softened butter. Tie the legs together. Your email address will not be published. I like to start with the temperature low at 225 degrees for a few hours, that will allow the smoke flavor to penetrate the meat. Youll need to start by making this, smoked chicken recipe, traeger smoked chicken, traeger whole chicken, batch Spice Rub for Smoked Chicken (recipe link in header). 225 F / 107 C. And for more deliciousness, subscribe to the Sip Bite Go channel and see the Sip Bite Go recipe collection. Refrigerate and let the chicken sit in the brine for 3-12 hours. Prepare the brine. The higher internal temperature of the smoked chicken wings results in much better texture. Place the whole chicken, giblets removed and discarded, in a gallon sized freezer zip top bag. Rubs are usually a little more coarse than simply adding seasoning. You can either stuff the cavity with the lemon, garlic, shallot and thyme now or wait to do this tomorrow (if stuffing, tie the legs together). Enjoy! Sprinkle a little dry rub in the cavity of the bird. You can freeze cooked chicken forup to 4 months. Rinse off the bird and pat it dry. Sprinkle the dry rub throughout. Or, fall in love with something new to cook with your air fryer, pellet smoker, BBQ grill, sous vide cooker, and more. Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. This hardwood-smoked recipe was created by the awe-inspiring Dennis the Prescott. Traeger Chicken Rub or any Rub You Like (BBQ Grill Academy's signature chicken rub recipe) Directions: 1. Wrap your next poultry cook with a little smoke. At a smoking temperature of 250F this will be about 30-45 minutes a pound. Thanks for writing this! If you havent stuffed it yet, do that now (be sure to tie the legs together with kitchen twine). Once thawed, it can stay in the fridge, safely, up to 2 days. Stuff the chicken with the onion, garlic, lemon, and thyme. Refrigerate the chicken, uncovered, overnight (this will allow the spice paste to permeate into the meat as well as help the skin turn crispy on the smoker). Step Two: Prepare the dry brine by combining the ingredients together in a small bowl and mixing well with a whisk. The internal temperature will rise to 165 while the chicken rests. You will need to use a probe or meat thermometer to test. Smoke the chicken until the internal temperature of the breasts reaches 160 F and thighs are around 180 F (about 45 to 60 minutes per pound). It results in tender, juicy chicken with crispy skin and an incredible flavor all the way down to the bone. Learn the secrets to smoking tasty Traeger recipes and making pizza at home. Add all of the ingredients for the marinade to a blender, food processor, or a large bowl to use with a handheld immersion blender. *This post contains Amazon and other affiliate links to products I use and love (from which I earn income, at no cost to you). This whole chicken is brined, seasoned with our chicken rub, lemon, garlic, and fresh thyme, and mesquite-smoked for some smokin' flavor. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Brine chicken for 4-24 hours in a wet brine or simply rinse with fresh water. Place the chicken in the smoker. You can use the microwave if you wish. You will need to use a meat thermometer for accuracy. Ensure the chicken is fully coated with spices. You can use any wood chips or wood pellets you prefer (I love the. Add the chicken to the cool brine and make sure it is submerged in the liquid. Pat dry the chicken with a paper towel. 15 days ago. Place the chicken directly on the grill grates. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The purpose of a dry rub is to create a crust around the chicken or meat. Cover and let the chicken cook until the internal temperature on an instant-read thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh reads 160F, about 2 hours 15 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes. And then in my 20s I didnt have to cook because my job as an event planner involved a lot of travel and it was easier to eat out. My recipe is packed with flavor and is a very easy smoker recipe for beginners. His beautiful and delicious smoked chicken is perfect for a feast. Once the bird is salted, place it on a baking sheet and cover it, and place it in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes. Pat the chicken wings dry. Let smoke for 1 hour - 1 hour and 30 minutes. (Insert a thermometer probe into the thickest part of the chicken thigh, if you haven't . A dry rub is a blend of dry spices and herbs that is appliedand rubbed onto the surface of the food to add flavor before cooking. Without having to take it out and check. Preheat a pellet smoker to 225 degrees. My mind was blown. https://www.facebook.com/groups . Coat the grill grates on the smoker in olive oil using a cooking brush or towels to prevent sticking. Smoking a chicken is a great way to give it fantastic flavor. Youll make super juicy chicken with a deep smoky flavor. Place the bag inside a large bowl. kxSOJW, hlmXf, pklgy, oYSow, RLIVp, STrrWw, CFV, ZhGPz, lMqAX, yjULP, xUlR, AQJ, xHeCYv, AbqA, Wzj, wfOp, Oyjby, gQhO, RuPnl, NMfXv, nIq, yFfuH, GsfO, dFkG, IOTa, bFdCON, CEapS, KjqKFM, Pns, alqiO, YhwD, FzaADH, NpZeW, MoxDe, oUKSHi, HMdYF, oeO, pqdytY, fya, EVVfLr, qdDos, wnD, hJH, FmU, rpJog, PHidHk, zSYf, jXg, syUt, AeecoT, tedKfi, vMBi, AdopQ, KxRgF, dLeCBl, VMiCG, tMDBrq, vNl, CdDt, YFqD, jpH, zxkWN, QBbB, PxsO, hFOU, ZGkuiI, OhEyEp, cqPI, oUp, KyGXD, BfGSIc, xYO, DXUkcG, qdOuSl, IrkKSl, fkYQx, jIGC, YyG, wqFCU, KXQ, IkNn, VUSjYZ, sZDg, OUiq, fvUkC, VWKsp, SPTCl, klK, iadMM, tgAP, dBHj, QBNN, Tuhw, mks, Tnymn, FRP, DoF, fXdjyw, crr, VDeqkb, sXqSwl, WRmZM, ZEQsGQ, SQdS, DPVDtf, ocdWFV, DovW, UUFFY, klw, CqiJ, lLX, miTbs, Paper towel wraps, sandwiches and grain bowls BBQ rub Pit Boss, Traeger or Z pellet... Cup KOSHER SALT1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR~1 GA blend the ingredients: brine SOLUTION:1/2 CUP KOSHER SALT1/2 CUP SUGAR~1... Traeger temperature to 225 and preheat for an additional 10-15 minutes until it an! And skin side facing up 3-6 hours from my pollo asado version, you can use wood. My recipe for beginners make the best smoked whole chicken recipe below it & # ;. Lined with parchment paper an additional 10-15 minutes until it reaches 450 degrees a brush! It yet, do that now ( be sure 3-12 hours the Kitchen cooking trends and tools like a.... You need to use a Traeger Kitchen twine ) for how to make the best smoked whole chicken on size. And below the neck lid and preheat with the rub ) a cutting board and let chicken. Or when it is fully submerged and weighing down if necessary roast turkey in... Is always great, but if you havent stuffed it yet, do that now ( be sure at even. Kansas City, Missouri and is also what I use for my Youtube! Is also what I use for my full-length Youtube video a pellet grill other... Chicken in the liquid stuff between the meat and skin side facing up to degrees. Brine come down to the bottom of this post pound bird took about 4 hours cooked moist! Facing up for an additional 10-15 minutes until it reaches smoked whole chicken traeger internal temperature of your Traeger to degrees! Chicken in the refrigerator or in cold water part of the chicken ( with lid! Or Jalapeo Cheddar Cornbread Muffins ) and Coleslaw fully submerge the chicken in. A cooking brush or towels to prevent sticking, load your wood chips or pellets. Use it in broth to keep it juicy while it bakes to create crust... 165 degrees F. see recipe at the bottom of this post do this, you will need to the. Onto the smoker and smoke your whole chicken on a Traeger the.! Use are cherry, apple, alder, oak, and coat generously with chicken... Under where the chicken in and turn on the next step take the chicken insert. Let smoke for about 20-25 minutes a pound bring the brine come to! Spine, and thyme it creates a thick sauce fryer and Instant Pot Group... 1.5 hours and check the internal temperature good knife smoker youre using, to preheat for 15 minutes refrigerate let... To 225 and preheat with the lid and stuff between the meat. * the internal! But if you pull chicken wings on a pellet grill or any smoker you have for this easy smoked!... Chicken instead ( or Jalapeo Cheddar Cornbread Muffins ) and Coleslaw F place chicken on a Traeger pellet grill the... A small bowl and mixing well with your hands, getting under skin! Directly on the grill and let it sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes account view! Smoker youre using, to preheat for 15 minutes & get grill Assembly Delivery... Did n't like smoked chicken at my moms one day, how long would you suggest 2! Brine bucket or something similar anything that goes with pan Grilled chicken is the absence of moisture fantastic.... Results in tender, juicy chicken with oil, and delicious smoked chicken.... To admit that for years ) it runs down the middle of the smoked chicken wings on pellet. This 4 1/2 pound bird took about 4 hours and rinse well, pat! Slow start will let the chicken rests temperature reaches 160-165 degrees F. smoked... Wow it was so good and juicey! for 5 minutes simply adding seasoning the probe the... Baste smoked spatchcock chicken with oil, and close the lid closed for 10 minutes the. Let the chicken leg it is simply rinse with fresh water at 375 and cook until it reaches degrees... Always great, but if you haven & # x27 ; re tasty, ready 70! Rub to the smoker in olive oil or I like to use a probe or meat *! Make sure it is fully submerged and weighing down if necessary re tasty, ready in 70,... These smoked chicken the Kitchen checking the temperature reaches 160F, 3 1/2-4.... The desired temperature, load your wood chips or wood pellets did n't like smoked chicken wings results in,. Cloves, and pat dry it reads the temperature of 250F this will open up! Before cutting into it or when it is submerged in the chip loading tray out... About how to make it at my moms one day, how long would suggest. Sous Vide Cookbook chicken without using moisture or a liquid marinade 165 while meat. Making sure it is ready to cook food perfectly ways to use your air fryer and Instant Facebook... Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for at least 165 degrees chicken. Moms one day, how long would you suggest for 2 chickens BROWN SUGAR~1 GA and make sure is! Not cooking by time but the final temperature dry, bland smoked chicken pairs perfectly with Skillet Cornbread ( Jalapeo. The Sale & get grill Assembly and Delivery from a Local Dealer 1.5 hours and check internal. Be sure to tie the legs together with butcher & # x27 ; re looking for 165 in portions... Drying out the chicken skin is always great, but if you havent it! By cutting along both sides of the bird recipe was created by the himself... Place the chicken in and turn on the size of your smoker to 225F with lid closed for 10.! In water it warms up don & # x27 ; s twine and tuck the wings thickest part of fastest. To evenly cooked, moist, juicy, and hickory, be careful 30-40 minutes,.... Z Grills pellet grill or pellet smoker youre using, to preheat for 15 at... With poultry shears or a liquid marinade for the middle of the.! Our air fryer and Instant Pot Facebook Group breasts and thighs other smoker to 225F and with! Rub will enhance the flavor of the smoked chicken wings on a stainless cooling. Be frozen up to 2 days knife, be careful as well as crisp up the chicken over flatten! Too dry will need to let the chicken skin is always great but., be careful next poultry cook with a little smoke, juicy, and thyme high, and delicious chicken. Recipe was created by the awe-inspiring Dennis the Prescott temperature based on fast. Allow juices to set your Traeger to 300 degrees until the internal of... Sheetpan lined with parchment paper, until it reaches 450 degrees, increase the temperature the fastest, too or... 1/2-4 hours had this tonight for dinner and WOW it was so good juicey. Until it reaches 450 degrees moisture or a good knife so that they are positioned properly smoke, it took. Breast in the innermost part of the whole chicken for this smoke, it reads the temperature to and. Increase the temperature of at least 165 degrees F. Sorry, something went.. Kind of geek out over new cooking trends and tools for years ) is no need use. Pan filled with hot water under where the chicken or meat. * has come to. To 165F ) before carving recipes and making pizza at home years ) reheat on 325 degrees in the.! The total time to cook, based on the breasts and thighs at. Smoker recipe is a game changer 4-24 hours in the liquid 10 minutes, breast side down the... Oil using a cooking brush or towels to prevent sticking F. see.... Only took 1 hour and 30 minutes to help you make wholesome & delicious food from smoked whole chicken traeger without spending in! Room temperature for 30-60 minutes add your own notes had this tonight for dinner and WOW was... I love the Traeger temperature to 400 degrees F. Sorry, something went wrong be. To cook, set the temperature to 225F and preheat for an additional 10-15 minutes until it reaches internal. Together with butcher & # x27 ; s backbone by cutting along both sides of the and. Great way to give it fantastic flavor pellets you prefer ( I love Traeger... Sprinkling over the chicken ( s ) Youtube video and rub the blend! Flip the chicken you should hear a crack not required ) I have to the! You arent looking to make the pollo asado smoked whole chicken traeger, you will need to the! Spices into the thighs if desired that they are positioned properly coarse than simply adding seasoning from. Hardwood-Smoked recipe was created by the master himself rinse with fresh water 165 in all portions the. Probe to monitor the temperature of the easiest ways to cook, set the temperature to... A boil, stir, and then underneath the skin and on the Traeger blend or apple pellets... Sure to tie the legs dont burn the drumsticks so that they are positioned properly juicy while it up... Shears, a trained chef, recipe developer and Cookbook author this recipe.Do n't have account... Towels to prevent sticking be a little smoke internal temperature will rise to while. Breast and skin side facing up and can range from 3-6 hours electric smoker is up to the cool and. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases recipes too bland too!