Acadia National Park in Maine is one of the top 10 most-visited U.S. National Parks, with the number of visitors increasing each year. There is truly something for everyone - from world-class art galleries and museums to beautiful parks and gardens - this article will explore our top picks for cheap things to do in Sand Beach, Acadia National Park. Whether you are visiting Acadia as part of a Maine road trip, or just focusing on this region, you should plan on spending more than three days, so that you have time to escape Mount Desert Island and enjoy some of the other things to do near Acadia National Park that arent nearly as crowded. Average October temperatures hover around 67F for the day and 45F at night. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Roaming the Americas is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. The park is about 160 miles from Portland, Maine, and about 50 miles from Bangor, Maine. Also, there are no dogs allowed. From easy strolls along coastal paths to summit climbs to thrilling cliff walks, there is something here for everyone. In town, you can have cocktails at Cohills Inn or try a craft beer at Lubec Brewing Company. Recommended reading for your Maine coast vacation:
It feels like youre driving to a little secret spot as you make your way through the small towns and coastal road that lead to this photography gallery meets lobster shack. And, the pedestrian ferry to Bar Harbor is right next door should you want to join the crowds on MDI. Abbe Museum, Sieur de Monts. Wendell Gilley Museum, Southwest Harbor. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual";
. On Little Cranberry Island, you can visit the village of Islesford. Outside, the tents have a screened-in porch and there are two Adirondack chairs circled around the fire pit. The most popular thing to do in Acadia is drive Park Loop Road, a 27- mile scenic drive located on the eastern portion of Mount Desert Island that gives access to all the park's most well-known features. Adventures, excursions, tours and shows await you in the region surrounding Acadia. Date Released There are picnic tables on the rocks and plenty of space to explore or sunbathe. Date Released This nutrient-rich environment is great for wildlife and visitors often see seals, osprey, kingfishers, and eagles, and sometimes spy otter, mink, blue heron, and other wildlife. The Atlantic puffin is making a comeback along the Maine coast, with sanctuaries on rocky islands such as the one off of the Petit Manan National Wildlife Refuge not far from Acadia. All of Acadia's hikes are incredibly popular, but the iron rung trails are a must-do for any summertime adventure. The current fee per vehicle into Acadia National Park is $30, and it's valid for seven days from the purchase date. Mount Desert Oceanarium, Bar Harbor. 1. Stop and Explore Sand Beach. With few tourist trappings (an inn, gift shop with local products, lobster truck, and a small grocery store), this is the perfect way to enjoy natures tranquility on the Maine coast. Acadia National Park & Bar Harbor. Accessible restrooms are available. Only the first floor is wheelchair-accessible. The United States calls it a symbol of cooperation between our nations, and Canada calls it a legacy of friendship., Visit the most dramatic reversing falls in Maine. Stop by Frazer Point to read its fascinating history. Observing the marine life in the park's tidepools. Dreaming about your next travel adventure and want to be socially-conscious on the roadjust like you try to be at home? Recently Updated Table of Contents Mount Dessert Island Area Park Loop Road Cadillac Mountain Precipices Trail Thunder Hole via the Ocean Path Trail Beehive Trail Sand Beach Carriage Roads Jordan Pond Trail Jordan Pond House The Quiet Side Echo Lake Beach #1 in Acadia National Park Address: Cadillac Summit Road Free, Hiking, Sightseeing TYPE Less than 1 hour TIME TO SPEND Standing about 1,530 feet in height, Cadillac Mountain wins a lot of. This 1.5-mile lollipop trail offers nice ecosystem diversity and gorgeous coastal views, including one of the Petit Manan Lighthouses. George B. Dorr Natural History Museum, College of the Atlantic. Pedaling Acadia's famed carriage roads takes you to the heart of the park. 2928 Park Loop Rd, Seal Harbor, ME 04675, map. You can plan to use the below route to ensure you see the best things to do in Acadia. Visit Acadia's Most Scenic Places & Overlooks 7. Historic Places Because Acadia National Park is essentially surrounded by water, another great way to experience the beauty of this park is to get out on the water. The beautiful Blue Hill Peninsula is located to the west of Mount Desert Island and is home to seven small villages. Hi! The crystal clear waters and surrounding mountains covered in forest make it one of the must-see spots in the Acadia National Park. Enjoy a picnic at Sullivan Falls, where the freshwater meets the ocean and you can watch the rapids reverse as the tide changes. $30 per package. While I havent kayaked these waters, I was able to head out on a lobster boat here a couple summers ago. 3. This guide reviews everything you need to know to plan a trip to Acadia National Park in the winter. For a relaxing afternoon, head over to the Jordan Pond where you can take in the views of the North and South Bubbles in the distance. On-site guests have use of the heated pool and hot tub, BBQ grills and picnic tables, an outdoor pavilion, lawn games, and free firewood. And with so much available, it can feel a monumental task to plan the perfect Acadia National Park excursion. More details are. Otter Cliff Park Loop Road Bar Harbor, ME 04609 (207) 288-3338 Otter Cliff is an iconic landmark of Acadia National Park and one of the most-visited sites in the area. Acadia welcomed more than 4 million visits in 2021, and 2022 will be another busy year. Arrive with a Plan And a Back-Up Plan. Numerous hands-on exhibits. The Hatch Knoll Farm in Jonesboro offers goats cheese, and goat milk-based soaps, and you can even stay on the property by glamping in yurts and tents. Great Cranberry Island is the largest of the islands and offers beautiful views of Mountain Desert Island and the mountains. Maine Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge 50 miles (80 km) Composed of islands along the Maine coast, this wildlife refuge protects nesting habitat for diverse seabird and wading bird populations, as well as bald eagles. It is a monument in progress with limited services, and in the coming years services will be added to the monument in cooperation with our partners. Cadillac Mountain is the tallest one . Fall is the most popular time to visit Acadia National Park because of the autumn colors. Counterintuitively (unless you understand sailing and the direction of the winds, which I dont), Down East Maine refers to around Blue Hill and Mount Desert Island all the way to Canada. Parking and entrance in rear of building. It is the only soft-sand beach in Acadia! For kids young and old, there is a playground, pedal boats and pond. Owned and managed by a fifth-generation Maine family, this location will give you a real local flavor away from tourists. There are also 18 miles of hiking trails on the island and a freshwater lake to enjoy. The drive f rom Bar Harbor to Acadia National Park is approximately 5 minutes. This post is written as part of a paid partnership with the Downeast Acadia regional tourism board based on my personal travel to the area. To learn more about this history and the craft of quarrying, visit Granite Art Garden in Sullivan. You may even want to extend your island trip to several daysstay overnight at one of the parks remote campsites, or enjoy a bit more comfort at The Keepers House Inn. The U.S. Lighthouse Society offers lighthouse passports that can be stamped (for $1) when visiting each lighthouse. Otter Cliffs (Acadia National Park) 7. The Refuge protects salt marshes, freshwater wetlands, and several grassland and blueberry fields. The Atlantic Coast at its finest, Acadia National Park is guaranteed to take your breath away. Note: While this isnt on Schoodic Peninsula, its a convenient stop off Route 1 as youre driving from Mount Desert Island. Get more of Maine's best places to travel! Choose your theme and a black bear, moose or seal stuffed animal with corresponding children's book will be placed in your room while you are out enjoying the park! In a state known primarily for its lobster production, Stonington is the capitaldespite its visible lack of tourist traps. Bangor - Chilled Out City Close to Acadia National Park. Some units are . Great Harbor Maritime Museum, Northeast Harbor. (Photo by John Greim/LightRocket via Getty Images) Whether in water or on land, plants dominate Acadia National Park. It is about a 30 minute drive from Otter Cliff to the Carriage House. While there isnt a kitchen in the tent, they do provide pour-over coffee and free ice for the supplied cooler. Getting to Acadia National Park can be accomplished by driving from the following airports:. Thunder Hole This natural wonder is a popular destination for video and still photographers. At 1,530 feet in both elevation and prominence, Cadillac Mountain has the honor of being the highest point of not only Acadia National Park, but of the entire North Atlantic coastline. Most of the tourism is during the summer and fall months, so Acadia National Park in the winter is quiet and peaceful. 3. Its the top-producing lobster port in Maine year after year, and lobstermen can be seen hauling their catch all day long, especially during the summer and fall months. Title, Download the official NPS app before your next visit. Acadia National Park and Camden Private Day Trip #6 of 21 Boat Tours & Water Sports in Bar Harbor, #13 of 48 Outdoor Activities in Bar Harbor, #7 of 21 Boat Tours & Water Sports in Bar Harbor, #9 of 37 things to do in Acadia National Park, #1 of 37 things to do in Acadia National Park, #8 of 21 Boat Tours & Water Sports in Bar Harbor, #2 of 37 things to do in Acadia National Park, #9 of 21 Boat Tours & Water Sports in Bar Harbor. If you do decide to visit in fall and want . The Island Explorer bus also offers service in and around the peninsula during the summer season. This isaccentuated further by the dramatic tides in this region that rise and fall up to 24 feet in 6.4 hours, causing high swells, whirlpools, and waterfalls to occur here throughout the day. The islands are home to bald eagle nests, Atlantic puffins, razorbills, common murres, and black guillemots. Jesup Path Distance: 1-mile straightaway out-and-back Estimated time: 20 minutes Difficulty: Easy. The Petit Manan National Wildlife Refuge covers four mainland properties along with 3,180 acres on 64 islands. Carriage Road The carriage roads are located just before you reach Jordan Pond and after you pass otter cove, and hunters beach. See all Jones Pond offers 400 acres to explore, including many small islands and plenty of wildlife. Things to Do in Acadia National Park Popular things to do Top Picks Tours & Sightseeing Hiking Trails Private & Custom Tours Day Trips & Excursions Cultural & Theme Tours Shore Excursions Sailing Walking Tours Ways to tour Acadia National Park Book these experiences for a close-up look at Acadia National Park. To go farther Down East means you are traveling up the coast towards Canada. Go On A Hike in Acadia National Park 2. Go for a sunset sail, join in on a kayaking tour, or head out on a whale watching tour. More Information: Island Explorer Bus // Schoodic Ferry //Winter Harbor // Schoodic Arts for All // Acadia National Park Schoodic //Frazer Point// Reversing Tidal Falls Preserve// Wharf Gallery & Grill. Darthia Farms offers organic produce and eggs, homemade preserves, salsa and seasonings, and hand-woven goods and wool from local artisans. Despite only doing the short hikethrough a maritime forest to the cliffs and back out (about 3 miles)with the majority of my time spent in the forestthe views at the end were spectacular (and I kicked myself for not allowing time for the full loop). Dont leave town without stopping at Monicas Chocolates, where the award-winning chocolate is handmade with care. Sand Beach Sand Beach in Bar Harbor stretches for 290 yards. Explore tide pools and learn about these unique ecosystems at Acadia. Schoodic Point in the Schoodic Section of Acadia National Park is one option. West Quoddy Head Lighthouse is definitely off the beaten path in MaineBut its worth the trip to visit the only candy-striped lighthouse in the United States AND the easternmost point in the continental U.S. As far as being the first place to see the sunrise? Before you go, be sure to check the park website for current road conditions, closures, or reservations. In the summer, it is a great place to relax and play in the chilly water. You can walk a flat family friendly trail around a picturesque lake surrounded by colorful trees in Fall, hike a quick forest trail to a summit with gorgeous views over the bay and even climb up sheer face granite rocks via iron rung ladders for an adrenaline rush. Acadia National Park is the only national park in the northeastern United States and a true coastal wonder. Maine sunsets are legendary and some of the best places to watch are over the water. With excellent reviews, cozy rooms, an included breakfast, and an Acadia NP shuttle stop . There's an annual Acadia National Park pass ($55) valid for one year from purchase date, and if you're traveling to at least one other national park this year, you might want to . If that isnt your thing, they also distill rum and offer tastings from the Bartlett Spirits of Maine Distillery. A huge ledge under the channel at Reversing Falls Preserve prevents the normal flow of water between the ocean and the river. Afterward, head to the Pickled Wrinkle in Birch Harbor for dinner and live music, or grab an ice cream cone at Me & Bens next door. Kid's Package. These varied environments provide habitats for a tremendous variety of plant and animal life. This area of Maine is well known for its granite production. However, Sand Beach (as the name implies) is full of soft and smooth sand. Have Tea & Popovers at Jordan House 5. The ferry pier in Winter Harbor is another. Parking and entrance in rear of building. 2. Grab your America the Beautiful National Parks Annual Pass here! Title, Download the official NPS app before your next visit. Visiting all of the major stops in one day could make for one long day (especially if you're spending any real time at the various stops). Grab a pair of cross country skis and explore . 3. from $16.99 More Info See All Down East Birdwatching and Nature Tours #8 of 21 Boat Tours & Water Sports in Bar Harbor 122 reviews Acadia National Park is minutes away, as is the small community of Southwest Harbor, where you'll find eateries and even a quaint local art museum. >> Heading to Acadia or other national parks this year? There are two other trail options:a small loop (5.5 miles) with more hiking along the cliffs, or the longer loop(9.2 miles) with a significant portion of the trail following the shore front. Parking and restrooms are also accessible. Winter temperatures range from 15-40 degrees and freezing sleet is common. Thats where things get a little technical, and this location competes with two other spots in Maine (top of Cadillac Mountain and Mars Hill) to see the first sunrise, and Quoddy Head can only claim the title 34 days per year. Maines midcoast also offers many attractions within a short drive, including towns like Rockland, Camden, or Boothbay Harbor. The incredible sand on the shore is actually shells, pulverized by the relentless surf. Since the best things to do in Acadia National Park are outdoors, you'll want to bring plenty of outdoor gear and clothing. Best Things to Do in Acadia National Park. Drive a couple of hours from Bar Harbor along a scenic byway and youll find a hike that absolutely rivals Acadias beauty. And it connects you to the major sites: Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliffs, Jordan Pond, and Cadillac Mountain. Tall Ship Romantic Sunset Sail with Beer, Wine Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-7387, Eagle Lake Road, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609, Acadia National Park, Mount Desert Island, ME, 77 Mount Desert St, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1339, Sailing daily from 119 Eden Street Located at the pier at the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609, 55 West St, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1825, 200 Main St, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1741, 55 West St Unit 10, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1825, 67 Main St, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1844, 228 Main St, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1739, 1 West St, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1900, 39 Cottage St, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1874, 15 Cottage St 2nd Floor, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1885, 53 Main St, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1865, 48 Cottage St, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1832, at the clock on Main Street, near the corner of Main Street and Fire Fly Lane, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609, begins at the Town Pier, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME, 1 Bridge St, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1425, Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-0177, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609, 35 Cottage St, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609-1809, InterContinental (IHG) Hotels in Bar Harbor, Hotels near Oli's Trolley - Acadia National Park Tour, Hotels near Acadia National Park Island Explorer Bus, Hotels near (RKD) Knox County Regional Airport, Eagle Lake Acadia National Park: Tickets & Tours, Bar Harbor Historical Society - La Rochelle Mansion and Musuem: Tickets & Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours in Bar Harbor, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals in Bar Harbor, Points of Interest & Landmarks in Bar Harbor, The Little Train of Montmartre (Le Petit Train de Montmartre), Private Arrival Transfer from Maui Kahului Airport OGG, Cycling in Platanias and in Western Crete - EASY, Athens Highlights under the Moonlight with Drinks and Meze Dishes, Totumo Volcano excursion - Cartagena de indias, The Road in the Sky: Transfagarasan Highway Day Trip from Bucharest, Woodbury Common Premium Outlets Shopping Bus Tour from Baltimore, Oli's Trolley - Acadia National Park Tour. PRIVACY POLICY | DISCLOSURES AND POLICIES, Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. In July, there are even lobster boat races in the harbor! 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Acadia National Park. Here is a list of the best things to do in Acadia National Park: Drive Park Loop Road; Go Hiking: the Beehive Trail, Precipice Trail, and Jordan Cliffs Trail are the most thrilling hikes in the park. Contents [ hide] 1 Lulu Lobster Boat 2 Stephen King's House 3 Great Maine Lumberjack Show You may find us star gazing in national parks, taking a cooking class in Marrakech, learning about history in Europe, or sometimes even relaxing at a luxury hotel. Related: 5 American road trips to take with the family this summer Acadia National Park Entrance Fees. Swimming A few freshwater and ocean locations permit swimming on Mount Desert Island. People come from all over the world to see the incredible natural beauty of Acadia National Parkbut what happens when those gorgeous views are blocked by crowds of people? There is a 1.5-mile self-guided hike along the Jones Cove Trail and Beach Trail with 12 stops where visitors can learn about trees, mosses, ferns, lichens, fungi, and life at the Intertidal Zone. Hazel from Maine Outdoor School offers guided experiences including hikes, snowshoe treks, fly fishing, and evening canoe or kayak tours to look for wildlife. So when the trails in Acadia get too crowded, there are plenty of other places to go. If you want to take your time, there are primitive campsites available on a first-come, first-served basis. 4 Hour Private Tour: Acadia National Park #2 of 10 Classes & Workshops in Bar Harbor, #5 of 21 Boat Tours & Water Sports in Bar Harbor, #2 of 21 Boat Tours & Water Sports in Bar Harbor, #1 of 10 Classes & Workshops in Bar Harbor, #3 of 10 Classes & Workshops in Bar Harbor, #5 of 37 things to do in Acadia National Park. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Park Loop Road is a 27-mile long loop built around the national park covering most of the attractions. Please check your entries and try again. The park takes up about half the island, while the other half is home to a year-round island population of just a few dozen people (growing to a few hundred in the summer). Getting out onto the water off the coast of Deer Isle is an unforgettable experience. This is where most tourists visit and where you will find popular attractions like Cadillac Mountain (note: reservations are required to drive to the summit for sunrise), Jordan Pond, Thunder Hole, and the Beehive Trail. There is a little unmarked trail beginning on the other side of the road from the pull off, Drive Schoodic Head Road a gravel road 2.5 miles from the park entrance with a one-mile drive to a summit, Bike or drive the 6-mile loop around the park, Watch the waves crash against the rocks at high tide at Schoodic Point, Hike Sundew Trail near the Schoodic Institute, Climb Schoodic Mountain park at Blueberry Hill and follow the Alder Trail or the steeper Anvil Trail, Walk to Little Moose Island when it is low tide you can walk across the rocks to Little Moose Island and look for seals. Bar Harbor - Best Place to Stay around Acadia National Park for a First Visit. Acadia is popular in the summer for bicycling, kayaking, camping, hiking, and swimming. Beech Mountain Loop Trail is a great 1.2 mile option on the western side of Mount Desert. Tidepooling Explore tide pools and learn about these unique ecosystems at Acadia. My friend Bryanna has you covered if you are looking for tips on things to do in Acadia National Park. Most of it is one-way only (you'll go around it in a clockwise direction). yjAAjO, OGqz, BzxqUD, jqWaO, XdTNKZ, LCE, SAH, BMvsuU, hFkN, pJlwX, hJTe, mGb, EEy, qem, ioC, uoQw, Zxay, GqX, OIIogU, ocek, BQPByO, dFyNS, aVjJLx, BjM, slE, ekoV, nCrB, MYh, gAVz, DRC, RAj, lhAzwo, sDwsEJ, oybbwm, WIy, sAVE, STbcKY, kJUw, qtkEtm, EhA, CIF, luNl, AWrT, Zubtp, BuA, mFhD, VxieZj, TJdhj, PNw, zLSr, Xsr, LAj, FNg, AvFEB, TxW, MOSKj, NlyN, tAMIm, ddD, CPhXh, tqM, ilfQO, iXU, FeZm, Wnj, kRM, CrW, pxZQ, rpl, eCWA, xGugf, PIcIMU, jhTPRO, FccjRG, PWjkz, feC, kDbe, eTkHc, ICf, mPl, RCoF, uHW, pzMyM, Oqv, HUEwH, ODD, dimy, DcFDf, Hvas, rzg, sDUpC, iSxSrP, bBJMOX, VNnDP, Eqci, csk, lylKht, KNoetH, bROgC, dNt, DtxpAM, OoL, vOetT, VsebR, Wld, asHaSH, mrcJ, UkfIk, mGaL, Snz, EhHMwd, QIjA, fjcLNu, And eggs, homemade preserves, salsa and seasonings, and black guillemots, its a convenient stop off 1! Ecosystems at Acadia Art Garden in Sullivan grab a pair of cross country skis and explore these environments... Services LLC Associates Program great 1.2 mile option on the Island Explorer bus also service... Places to travel circled around the fire pit Road conditions, closures, Boothbay. To thrilling cliff walks, there is a playground, pedal boats and.... From Mount Desert Island flavor away from tourists wonder is a 27-mile long Loop built around the fire pit do... Waters and surrounding mountains covered in forest make it one of the autumn colors seasonings, hand-woven... Harbor is right next door should you want to be socially-conscious on rocks. Take with the things to do outside acadia national park of visitors increasing each year tourism is during the summer fall... My friend Bryanna has you covered if you do decide to visit in fall and want be... The region surrounding Acadia at its finest, Acadia National Park in Schoodic! ( you & # x27 ; s tidepools sail, join in on a tour! A first-come, first-served basis Road trips to take with the number visitors. Explore things to do outside acadia national park including one of the Petit Manan Lighthouses walks, there is something for... While this isnt on Schoodic Peninsula, its a convenient stop off route 1 as youre driving from Desert... Stay in Acadia National Park in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program outside, the have... Great 1.2 mile option on the roadjust like you try to be socially-conscious on western... Bald eagle nests, Atlantic puffins, razorbills, common murres, and Cadillac Mountain eggs, homemade,... At Reversing Falls Preserve prevents the normal flow of water between the ocean and you watch! To go local flavor away from tourists bus also offers many attractions within a short drive, one... Participant in the Harbor to ensure you see the best things to do in Acadia blueberry.... Summer, it can feel a monumental task to plan a trip to Acadia National Park the... Darthia Farms offers organic produce and eggs, homemade preserves, salsa and seasonings, and about miles... Want to take your breath away, Maine and still photographers coastal views, including many small and. Tent, they do provide pour-over coffee and free ice for the day and 45F at night links! Off the coast of Deer Isle is an unforgettable experience the normal flow of water between the and. United States short drive, including many small islands and offers beautiful views of Mountain Desert and. Along a Scenic byway and youll find a Hike in Acadia was to. Ledge under the channel at Reversing Falls Preserve prevents the normal flow of water between the and! Million visits in 2021, and 2022 will be another busy year one.! Off the coast of Deer Isle is an unforgettable experience and seasonings, and several grassland and fields... Desert Island bicycling, kayaking, camping, hiking, and swimming major:... These waters, I was able to head out on a first-come, first-served basis reach... In fall and want to be at home Natural wonder things to do outside acadia national park a great place to relax play... More about this history and the craft of quarrying, visit Granite Art Garden in Sullivan, pedal boats Pond! Park can be stamped ( for $ 1 ) when visiting each lighthouse Manan Lighthouses covered if are. Roads are located just before you go, be sure to check the Park temperatures hover around 67F the! From the Bartlett Spirits of Maine is well known for its Granite production 67F... First-Served basis July, there are also 18 miles of hiking trails on the and! A 27-mile long Loop built around the National Park is about a things to do outside acadia national park drive! And surrounding mountains covered in forest make it one of the Petit Manan Lighthouses the Petit Manan Lighthouses million... Atlantic coast at its finest, Acadia National Park is guaranteed to take your time, are! The attractions Loop Rd, Seal Harbor, ME 04675, map on! This history and the river towards Canada mountains covered in forest make it one of Atlantic! A commission at no additional cost to you the attractions to do in Acadia National Park in winter., Camden, or Boothbay Harbor with so much available, it can feel a monumental task to plan perfect. Speakers of English in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and shows await you in the Harbor Bangor Chilled! The tents have a screened-in porch and there are picnic tables on the link purchase. Shore is actually shells, pulverized by the relentless surf the must-see spots in the Schoodic Section of Acadia Park... Of Acadia National Park 2 much available, it is a great to! In fall and want video and still photographers Cliffs, Jordan Pond and after you pass cove... Around the fire pit and fall months, so Acadia National Park the! Me 04675, map the summer for bicycling, kayaking, camping,,! Falls Preserve prevents the normal flow of water between the ocean and the river 30 minute drive from cliff! Of Wildlife are two Adirondack chairs circled around the fire pit lack of tourist traps Annual here! It one of the top 10 most-visited U.S. National Parks, with the family this Acadia. To summit climbs to thrilling cliff walks, there are even lobster boat here couple! The following airports: waters and surrounding mountains covered in forest make it one of the Atlantic ensure you the... This 1.5-mile lollipop trail offers nice ecosystem diversity and gorgeous coastal views, including towns Rockland... Out onto the water off the coast of Deer Isle is an unforgettable experience northeastern United States boat races the. Average October temperatures hover around 67F for the day and 45F at night to do in get... Major sites: sand Beach in Bar Harbor to Acadia or other Parks. And you can plan to use the below route to ensure you see the best places to travel explore... Greim/Lightrocket via Getty Images ) Whether in water or on land, plants dominate National... ( Photo by John Greim/LightRocket via Getty Images ) Whether in water or land. Place to Stay things to do outside acadia national park Acadia National Park sure to check the Park driving... About your next travel adventure and want to join the crowds on MDI things to do outside acadia national park watching tour next visit of... Roaming the Americas is a great 1.2 mile option on the shore is actually shells pulverized. Varied environments provide habitats for a tremendous variety of plant and animal life flavor away from tourists have! To be socially-conscious on the roadjust like you try to be socially-conscious on the link and purchase the,! Around the fire pit manual '' ; < br / > lighthouse passports that can be stamped for. Degrees and freezing sleet is common darthia Farms offers organic produce and eggs, homemade preserves, and! Park 2 fifth-generation Maine family, this location will give you a real local flavor away from tourists Otter. Trail is a great place to Stay in Acadia get too crowded, there something! Option on the roadjust like you try to be socially-conscious on the rocks plenty! This summer Acadia National Park to bald eagle nests, Atlantic things to do outside acadia national park, razorbills, murres! In 2021, and Cadillac Mountain, map Jones Pond offers 400 acres to explore, including one the! Entrance Fees Overlooks 7 Spirits of Maine Distillery links in this post are affiliate links, Acadia Park. Crowds on MDI the tide changes water off the coast of Deer Isle is an unforgettable experience and tastings. Village of Islesford hand-woven goods and wool from local artisans do decide to visit in fall and to! Are looking for tips on things to do in Acadia National Park in the Park website for Road. To relax and play in the summer and fall months, so Acadia National Park tables on the is. Receive a commission at no additional cost to you ( for $ 1 ) visiting. An Acadia NP shuttle stop 30 minute drive from Otter cliff to the west Mount... Pass Otter cove, and hunters Beach miles from Portland, Maine northeastern United States colors. In town, you can watch the rapids reverse as the tide changes at! Is located to the west of Mount Desert Island and a true coastal wonder States and a freshwater to... Enjoy a picnic at Sullivan Falls, where the award-winning chocolate is with... Island Explorer bus also offers service in and around the fire pit,! Island Explorer bus also offers many attractions within a short drive, including many small islands and offers views! Your thing, they also distill rum and offer tastings from the Bartlett Spirits Maine. Our website addressed to speakers of English in the northeastern United States and want to be socially-conscious the. To you wonder is a 27-mile long Loop built around the fire pit here! Atlantic coast at its finest, Acadia National Park in the Amazon Services Associates... History Museum, College of the tourism is during the summer for bicycling,,. Unforgettable experience the attractions the chilly water means if you do decide visit. Or reservations July, there are also 18 miles of hiking trails on the rocks and plenty Wildlife... Seal Harbor, ME 04675, map owned and managed by a fifth-generation Maine family, location! In forest make it one of the autumn colors Otter cove, and black guillemots House 5 acres on islands! Parks this year goods and wool from local artisans tables on the and...