does mount require sudo

I feel I should be able to mount anything that the user otherwise would have access to to a mount-point that the user is the owner of. Maybe the timeout resets if you rerun sudo within those 5 minutes? Help us identify new roles for community members, Proposing a Community-Specific Closure Reason for non-English content, Defining a variable with or without export. Try to access root directory files using this command - sudo ls -la /root. fzcx0l ALL=(ALL) ALL TechRepublic Premium content helps you solve your toughest IT issues and jump-start your career or next project. It doesn't always require super privs. sudo has time out set, so that's why first 15 minutes you can type sudo and don't need to put in password again. Educate a rookie on Where To Keep Her Files. You've heard about the bad hard drive issue, etc. There is presumably some logic at the root of that which makes it impossible to solve, since it is a well known issue which has existed for a long time with no solution. Browse other questions tagged, Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide, What are you trying to do? So it made sense to restrict mounting to people who had legitimate physical access, and they would likely have access to the root account. A couple of uses for non-root mounting are mounting file-system images to a user owned direction and mounting a network share to a user owned directory. 7. Do so by providing the file system's mount point. Now root can allow normal users to mount with specific restrictions, but he needs to make sure that if the user has write access to the block device, that the mount disallows suid, and also devnodes, which have a similar problem ( the user can craft a devnode that gives them write access to an important device they shouldn't have write access to ). To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. Try to run a command with sudo permission and see if it is working or not. It looks like (a variation of) this has already been asked here before: Yes, you are correct, I was a little imprecise in my question. Mounting to a non-owned location shadows the files at that location. Find the drive name associated with the disk and mount it with the command sudo mount NAME /data (Where NAME is the name associated with the drive, such as /dev/sdb). It only takes a minute to sign up. sudo mount -a Note: If a mount has the noauto option set, the sudo mount -a command will not mount it. In Solaris 8, when I boot to single user mode, mount a device and then reboot or init 0, the system unmount it automatically. Method 2: Open terminal on your android phone (download here): Type this in the terminal : su. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? Why does my stock Samsung Galaxy phone/tablet lack some features compared to other Samsung Galaxy models? Would salt mines, lakes or flats be reasonably found in high, snowy elevations? Allowing creation of a virtual filesystem (like FUSE) does not allow you to do anything that is not already possible in more a roundabout way using IPC. @CrazyCasta WRT "making the system crash", it is certainly possible to mount defective hardware which exploits vulnerabilities in the hardware interface. sudo mount -o hard,nolock usa-node01:/mapr /mapr. Select Attach. I want to write a script that would do: and some other non-sudo commands. By writing your password as shell command, it becomes accessible through .bash_history file and by running history shell command. For instance, perhaps mount could allow an unprivileged user to mount a filesystem if they were the owner of the filesystem entry being mounted over. 0. Is it possible to mount a disk from a non-root account? Here, we're going run the whoami command as the user mary. It allows you to execute a command as another user, including the superuser. $ sudo mount --bind Dir1 Dir2 Mount options for coherent As a general rule, anything that significantly affects all users on a Linux system cannot be done (at least by default) by an unprivileged user. The general working of sudo is as simple as setuid. SEE: 5 Linux server distributions you should be using (TechRepublic Premium). Or you may prefer to write expect script which will have password written and password will be entered when it prompts for it. FYI: The newest kernels have "namespace" support. How do I run a command as a different user from a root cronjob? Yes, by default, sudo won't ask for password for 15 minutes after the user has entered it once. Filesystem drivers have often not been tested as thoroughly with malformed filesystem. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. This will open /etc/sudoers for editing. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. I am trying to write a script that would ssh into a host, perform mount operation there, run some other commands and exit. And then I added in /etc/rc.local: Code: Select all. What can the administrator add to /etc/fstab to allow mounting an unspecified device to an unspecified location? For instance, the filesystem being mounted might have a root directory owned by a different user, which would mean the user who mounted the filesystem would not be able to unmount it again. This is a crucial feature, otherwise, you wouldnt be able to either expand your storage or attach external data drives. Note that there is no "n" between the "u" and the "m"the command is umount and not "unmount.". 2019 . We should reference storage volumes by their UUID ( Universally Unique Identifier) instead. Like: su geniusgeeks. Acecssing NFS share without root privileges, Counterexamples to differentiation under integral sign, revisited, i2c_arm bus initialization and device-tree overlay. It would seem like the administrator would have to add an explicit line to the fstab for my nfs mount in order allow it. You can test it yourself by mounting an USB drive as normal user using udisksctl command like below: $ udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdc1. Site design / logo 2022 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. The setuid sets this EUID value. The sudo command provides an efficient way to grant users the special rights to execute commands at the system (root) level. Always pass password through stdin as it's more secure approach - thodnev Why would Henry want to close the breach? sudo is not necessary to run your command in this context, since it'll be invoked as root anyway. Check out our top picks for 2022 and read our in-depth analysis. Why is the eastern United States green if the wind moves from west to east? If i double click the test.sh file and select run in terminal then the terminal prompts for password. Does fstab allow wildcards? Mount a loop file without root permission? Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. If you updated your users' groups recently, try logging out then back in. It is possible to disable the need for a password when running sudo commands. Is it correct to say "The glue on the back of the sticker is dying down so I can not stick the sticker to the wall"? If you spend a lot of time on the command line, sudo is one of the commands you will use on a frequent basis. In the example line above for the /etc/fstab file, it's actually a bad idea to use a device name such as /dev/sdb1. Subscribe to TechRepublics How To Make Tech Work on YouTube for all the latest tech advice for business pros from Jack Wallen. I don't understand why this is though. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. gvfs, lufs, sshfs, and ftpfs uses FUSE to allow non-root users to mount virtual filesystem; and unlike mount's -o user, FUSE do not require the sysadmin to arrange specific mounts. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Why does my stock Samsung Galaxy phone/tablet lack some features compared to other Samsung Galaxy models? Any others utils? If you can't read/write it, or can't view the directory it's in to see if it exists then mount would just fail in the same way a ls or cat type command would. Ready to optimize your JavaScript with Rust? The fstab entries allow administrators to delegate mounting to other users for removable drives. Copy the command under using the EFS mount helper. Or if i double click test.sh file and select run then nothing happens. %admin ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/mount woodnt adm disk dialout cdrom audio video plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare vboxusers. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Does mount always require root privileges? Here is what I did: It has been renamed to reflect that new functionality. $ type truecrypt This is the Cmnd_Alias statement: Cmnd_Alias NFS_MOUNT /usr/sbin/mount -F nfs -o rw hpservername:/backups /backups This command works for me as ro. However if the user owns /home/my_user/my_imagefile.img and mount point /home/my_user/my_image/ why shouldn't they be able to mount that image file on that mount point with: As kormac pointed out there is a suid problem. Otherwise, anyone who can run any Docker commands at all, can run this one: docker run -v /etc:/host-etc busybox \ sh -c 'echo ALL ALL (ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL >> /host-etc/sudoers' That is, anyone who can run Docker commands is all but root already. Help us identify new roles for community members. {0} ok boot -s 1) sshfs doesn't require access to the /etc/fstab, so if you can map your webdav users onto linux users with similar file structure, then that is a simple alternative. -V: The -V (version) option causes sudo to print the version number and exit. Are IT departments ready? However, if you want, you can change this behavior. The sudo command runs the command that follows it as the root user. 2, After I umounted the usb drive the led of it still on, but not blinking. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. One such task is mounting file systems (such as external drives) to the filesystem. Volume "/home/woodnt/.vol/i5yq" has been dismounted. Ultimately, I want to have this in a script. Searching for disksdone Or, $ udisksctl mount --block-device /dev/sdc1. Unmounting the ISO Image. That's a good point about the limit of loop-back device nodes. How to mount a host directory in a Docker container, SSH sudo inside script different behaviour, Received a 'behavior reminder' from manager. As long as you have the privilege for the mount directory and to whatever resources that are needed to construct the filesystem, you can create FUSE mount. I've got my external drive listed in my /etc/fstab, and the UUIDs match, but if I reboot my computer, or sometimes if I've so much as just put it to sleep and come back after a while, I have to remount it using sudo mount -a. But its not exactly that simple. It is possible there was a regress. That's true whether the system is native or running inside a VM. Now root can allow normal users to mount with specific restrictions, but he needs to make sure that if the user has write access to the block device, that the mount disallows suid, and also devnodes, which have a similar problem ( the user can craft a devnode that gives them write access to an important device they shouldn't have write access to ). usermod -aG sudo newuser. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Is it correct to say "The glue on the back of the sticker is dying down so I can not stick the sticker to the wall"? 1. Does balls to the wall mean full speed ahead or full speed ahead and nosedive? If you want to allow certain mount operations you can use a tool like sudo by writing appropriate rules for it. %wheel ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/powertop. How are setuid, suid, sudo, and su all related? if he did have sudo access, how to remove ? Replace /dev/sdc1 with your device name. 1, I successfully mounted my usb drive with "sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt", but I can't wirte, It says "read-only file system". kormoc's answer is illuminating, though I am curious why certain flags couldn't be forced on non-root users (like nosuid) to fix this. sudo umount /mnt. Sudo stands for "superuser do" and effectively gives a regular user (one that belongs to the admin group) access to administrator-like powers. If you want to allow to mount given path without superuser permissions (for regular user) edit its /etc/fstab entry as shown here. How do I change permissions without sudo? 2.1.1 Running a Single Command. This is an issue for at least a few reasons: npm install has the ability to run arbitrary scripts. I am wondering why I am restricted from mounting network shares and image files that I otherwise have plenty of access. What is the right way to mount and umount a usb driver? Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. Sudo in general is necessary for security. Post these 15 minutes, you'll be prompted for password again. In this directory I created a laucher.sh file with the following commands: Code: Select all. Mount options for cifs See the options section of the mount.cifs(8) man page (cifs-mount package must be installed). If you're not using sudo, its configuration isn't relevant. Should teachers encourage good students to help weaker ones? 36. $ truecrypt -t -v -d It is also important to consider that the data in such filesystems can almost always be accessed without the need for mounting a device, either through file transfer or tools which extract from images without mounting, so a system which does not allow you to mount something does not represent an insurmountable problem with regard to accessing data that you have bizarrely placed in an image file, or (more understandably) want to get from a remote system. You really should NEVER use such a line os.system ('echo %s|sudo -S %s' % (sudoPassword, command)), cause it brings a security hole. This System update policy from TechRepublic Premium provides guidelines for the timely update of operating systems and other software used by the company. E.g., how do desktop systems allow unprivleged users to mount usb drives, etc? Installation In most Linux distributions, the sudo package is installed by default. Warning A buggy filesystem driver could allow a user supplying a malformed filesystem to inject code into the kernel. These automatic mount points are mounted only when they are accessed, and unmounted after a certain period of . To unmount a mounted file system, use the umount command. Is it safe to unplug it? Install the NFS client. If youre working with a distribution of Linux that includes a desktop GUI, adding external drives is pretty simple. Why is apparent power not measured in watts? In effect, the non-root users can only run mount operations that have been pre . thanks for the help in advance , Edit: Solved! Jack Wallen introduces new Linux users to the mount command and how to use it to mount an external drive to the internal file system. 4. For example: showmount -e usa-node01. however, i came across something in chapter 8 - "mounting file systems" that has me really confused. As for the proper syntax, I have this line in my sudoers: Code: %wheel ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/powertop It lets anyone in the wheel group run powertop as root with no password. Using sudo npm install (and potentially sudo npm <anything>) is a bad idea . Part 1: Demystifying root. We do not currently allow content pasted from ChatGPT on Stack Overflow; read our policy here. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. When would I give a checkpoint to my D&D party that they can return to if they die? This tells the EFS mount helper to pass your credentials to the EFS mount target. Something can be done or not a fit? Installed Fedora 37 and steam wont launch. Don't forget to replace /path/to/image. The difference is that root has access to all files, while a normal user will only see into directories where they have read and execute pe. Company-approved Jack Wallen is an award-winning writer for TechRepublic, The New Stack, and Linux New Media. Set up a mount point for an NFS share. sudo (superuser do) is a great tool for restricting access to the root account (or other accounts). @hourly rm somefile. This is how the file managers mount an external drive without administrative rights. This incident will Make Firefox use VLC libraries for video decoding! How could my characters be tricked into thinking they are on Mars? 5. SolveForum.com may not be responsible for the answers or solutions given to any question asked by the users. Why? So some restrictions would have to be added to prevent suid from being a problem as well as potentially some other issues. And that, my friends, is the basics for using the mount command. From the policy: PHYSICAL SECURITY GUIDELINES AND REQUIREMENTS The following guidelines should be followed in designing and enforcing access to IT assets. That's simply because the underlying system call (see 'man 2 mount') requires CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability no matter what the mount options are. You then need to find out where the drive is located, which can be done with the command lsblk. In my specific case I am doing mount -t cifs, how does one go about making this mount not require require sudo? Use ftp, etc. Ready to optimize your JavaScript with Rust? P.S. It's both a historical and security restriction. Known limitations. is not in the sudoers file. You're actually running a command named 'sudo'. sudo mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWD Is it have some safe way (without permanent sudo and other). 10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting, Hi Folks, Answer (1 of 5): du recursively summarises the disk usage of directories and files, by default the current directory. It seems like I should be able to mount for the purpose of simple read/write an image file/network share that I otherwise have access to onto a mount point that I own. First off, you have to have a directory on the internal file system to serve as the mount point. If the invoking user is already root, the -V option will print out a list of the defaults sudo was compiled with. As you already know, you need to be a sudo user in order to display, mount and access removable media (such as external hard drives, USB drives, optical drives and cameras) from the command line. Edited my /etc/fstab and put the filesystem to use the newest ntfs3 driver and now it mounts for unprivileged users :p. If you add into /etc/fstab an entry for the mount with the "noauto,user" options, then any normal user is allowed to execute that mount. Now you could possibly envisage some ways in which this change was a "safe" change. To add a user and grant full sudo privileges, add the following line: [username] ALL= (ALL:ALL) ALL. The sudo command allows non root users to run other Linux commands that would normally require super user privileges, while the sudoers file instructs the system how to handle the sudo command. The name means 'super user do' and will perform the following command with root privileges after verifying the user running sudo has the permission to do so. Run the following command: sudo crontab -e. This opens up root 's crontab. Imagine you made a script that called 'sudo umount'. You're actually running a command named 'sudo'. Your note regarding interrupts on devices is totally irrelevant; the only significant interrupt that is happening on for remote filesystem comes from the network card, which are handled wholly by the kernel. Looking for the best payroll software for your small business? sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda7 /media/Ddrive Most systems probably would not want to have the whole GNOME just for some remote mounting, then you can use lufs, sshfs or ftpfs. If I can read/write a mount point then I should be able to everything mount can with the exception of actually mounting it to a directory. How can I do this without a sudo option and without entering any passwords when the script is running. Then you can use non-root syntax like this to mount within your local home directory; sshfs -o ControlPath=none -o workaround=rename -o idmap=user \ -o nonempty -o reconnect -o . UID is the User ID or in other words the owner of the file. The message "mount: only root can do that" comes from the mount command itself: it allows non-root users to only mount and unmount those filesystems that have the special mount option "user" in the /etc/fstab file. Central limit theorem replacing radical n with n. How does the Chameleon's Arcane/Divine focus interact with magic item crafting? I do not agree that users should be able to mount a filesystem that they do not otherwise have access to without specific authorization since just the act of mounting it could potentially cause some sort of action (like filesystem checking) that root did not want. Of course if you have no root rights, it is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to mount a filesystem (if it is not explicit allowed in /etc/fstab), else it would a BIG security breach. Here's a breakdown of the granted sudo privileges: This issue can occur if your NFS client does not have permission to mount the file system. Forget Windows - their security model doesn't really provide much security. Perhaps one way to do this would be to make the OS treat all files as belonging to the user that did the mounting. Why does Linux require that a user be root/using sudo/specifically authorized per mount in order to mount something? This is tiny and very very annoying. Mount does exactly what you think it does, it mounts an external drive to your internal filesystem. How do you remount FS as RW? I've mounted a share using standard nomenclature for the NFS mount command with the following command line: Do standard Bash utilities make system calls or library How do I get this version of htop with IO as a tab listed? Your argument is valid if 'you' are the single user; remember that Linux (and Unix) are multi-user systems, where users are not necessarily trusted. alrsprd3:root-/etc> more sudoers | grep fzcx0l How can I use a VPN to access a Russian website that is banned in the EU? It doesn't give you "real" super-user permissions though -- you can only do what you're already allowed to do (i.e. I want to write a script that would do: ssh user@server "mount -t nfs xx.xx.xx.xx:/ /nfs -o rsize=4096,wsize=4096 ; cp pqr rst ; umount /nfs ;" and some other non-sudo commands. How can a file manager mount a drive without root? If set to a value less than 0 the user's time stamp will not expire until the system is rebooted. Select the file system that you want to mount. protected from users reading/writing them? They don't use fstab, as far as I know. Can a prospective pilot be negated their certification because of too big/small hands? You cant simply mount, say, /dev/sdb to the root file system. : You are introducing new, untrusted data to the kernel, and it has to deal with whatever is thrown at it. Mount options for cifs Just like nfs or smbfs implementation expects a binary argument to the mount system call. I have an account in a lab where my home space is restricted to 8GB. Allowing a user to perform mount calls would probably be rather tricky regarding security. Generally, this is an acceptable risk on a consumer device, but Linux is designed for server first. But still, truecrypt isn't needing a sudo prefix so how can modifying sudoers affect the truecrypt script? In normal use, it is setup so that people in the wheel group can run commands as root if they give it their password. By default, sudo will initialize the group vector to the list of groups the target user is in. At what point in the prequels is it revealed that Palpatine is Darth Sidious? So, I have to keep it in vfat format, which is fine because Linux rocks and will read it no problem. FUSE filesystems can only expose files that the user has the permission to create, which solves the last issue above. By default when you enter a sudo command, you need to re-enter your password which can be a pain, especially if you've set your password to a complex pattern or disabled password login and only use SSH keys. However, in Solaris 10 it does not seem to do the same. Again, the principle is that a secure system is restricted, and people are granted privilegesif you haven't been granted privileges, you are out of luck, unfortunately. Many of the driver updates and other Linux things happen here. Not the answer you're looking for? The rubber protection cover does not pass through the hole in the rim. Penrose diagram of hypothetical astrophysical white hole. If there was we can expect some me2s to roll in. Privileges are one mechanism by way of which this is accomplished. The mount helper also supports mounting an Amazon EFS file system at instance boot time automatically by using entries in the /etc/fstab configuration file on EC2 Linux instances. I'm not really clear why there needs to be a loop-back device though, seems a bit redundant. Prerequisites In order to mount drives and filesystems on Linux, you need to have sudo privileges on your machine. Of course, if we are talking about a server VM, then these tools might not be installed. sudo prividleges apply recursive.. eg if user run script as sudo ./script.sh inside script it will have sudo priviledge. For instance, on my computer /dev/sda1 is owned by user root and group disk with permissions brw-rw----. mnt_for_70 is a mount point I created on {IP address2} Desktop linux distributions use udisks to grant non-root users limited mounting priviliges. As for reboot command itself, it might be separated from systemd, hence requires sudo. Ordinary users can create a namespace, and within that namespace, become root and do fun stuff like mount file-systems. I have created a Cmnd_Alias statement to nfs mount a file system (for the DBAs to run as needed), but visudo will not allow me to save the sudoers file. In the previous version of windows I didn't have the problem. Browse other questions tagged. Runtime.exec ("sudo mount /path/to/mount/point /dir\\ with/spaces\\ in\\ name"); As for the password, sudo may not ask for password if recently you entered it on the same shell. Do non-Segwit nodes reject Segwit transactions with invalid signature? In 16.10 you don't need sudo for either command. Manually Mount. The mount program does not read the /etc/fstab file if both device (or LABEL / UUID) and dir are specified. # format Each file in Linux has a UID and EUID associated with the file. For practical purposes, it is possible nowadays to mount a filesystem without being root, through FUSE. But what if youre using a GUI-less server? SEE: How-to guide for Linux administrators (free PDF) (TechRepublic). It will prompt for the root password and, if authenticated successfully, run the command as root : > id -un 1 tux > sudo id -un root's password: 2 root > id -un tux 3 > sudo id -un 4 root. 2. So the question to ask is this: is the shell at hand being run by the root user already? xarblu 2 yr. ago Always felt like it's way longer than 5 minutes. 23 . Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Mounting an image still involves device nodes (eg, /dev/loop). Said application would not be able to read/write from the partitions in /dev (unless those partitions were changed to allow the user access to them, which usually doesn't make sense). Therefore, you would simply append the following to root's crontab. sudo command in Linux stands for Super User DO. other commands (cd, cp) do not require sudo privelages but mount option requries sudo permission. This is why mounting is normally restricted to root. suid binaries could be added to a device, mounted on your box and used to root a box, which is why by default. If not: What kind of mount does and what kind of mount doesn't require sudoIN GENERAL? See, *nix does not sell high capacity magazines over the counter -- you need a permit. Share If not, then you need sudo so the process becomes root before running the command. I found a solution which I find somewhat unsound : I created a /home/pi/Scripts directory. This job description provides an overview of SAP, and discusses the responsibilities and qualifications that the position requires. As a general rule, anything that significantly affects all users on a Linux system cannot be done (at least by default) by an unprivileged user. and how can I make it not require it? All rights reserved. The mount helper defines a new network file system type, called efs, which is fully compatible with the standard mount command in Linux. Site design / logo 2022 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. To verify that you have sudo privileges, you can run the " sudo " command with the " -l " in order to list the privileges you currently own. Use the visudo command to edit the configuration file: sudo visudo. Get current directory or folder name (without the full path). Setuid executable and device files are the most obvious examples, and they are fixed by the. thanks You can appear. sudo is an efficient way to access the root privileges and execute the command as the root user. The issue with regard to virtual and remote filesystems (or remote filesystems via virtual filesystems, a la FUSE) is less significant, but this does not solve the security question (although FUSE might, and it certainly would solve your problem). Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow! In the list of options of the entry must be option user or users (depends on that if you want that user could unmount the filesystem or not). See Namespaces in operation, part 1: namespaces overview, section 4. This is not a security breach at all when the only users of the system are trusted to mount devices, but not to do other things. As far as not using sudo, I'm confused then. Could anyone please assist me with the what could be the scenarios to test the file system mount/umount performance check in HPUX. What does sudo do under the hood? I don't know when they changed that. If you have a situation where this is not the case, it might be worth while asking: If the administration of the system is fair, then #2 explains why #1 is impossible for you. Share Improve this answer edited Dec 20, 2016 at 21:32 To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. Did neanderthals need vitamin C from the diet? -l: The -l (list) option will print out the commands allowed (and forbidden) the user on the current host. If you can read/write the file normally then you should be able to mount it (is my argument). You are right that this creates a hassle, but "making arrangements" for that is going to vary from system to system (there is finite supply of loop devices, for one thing), so again, that's why. If a user has direct write access to a block device, and can mount that block device, then they can write a suid executable to the block device, mount, it, and execute that file, and thus, gain root access to the system. [sudo] password for woodnt: %admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/mount, $ groups This can be used to allow users to create or delete their own time stamps via "sudo -v" and "sudo -k" respectively. At what point in the prequels is it revealed that Palpatine is Darth Sidious? How to allow users to mount windows shares. Due to how npm is . Mounting a filesystem can allow the mounter to cause some files to appear that he would not otherwise have permission to create. How can i avoid typing password? Logged in as normal user, you can run any command as root by adding sudo before it. This is to allow the root user to determine which drives are expected and safe to mount. Why do I need to sudo mount -a my external drive when it's already in fstab? 2. Is it possible to mount arbitrary mount points that one has normal access to? How do I schedule an app to open every day at 8am. But I can write it in windows. If that is the case, then this makes a little more sense. I would like to mount an nfs volume from my personal server to essentially increase the amount of room that I have. Is truecrypt itself calling sudo to mount? Imagine you made a script that called 'sudo umount'. To use sudo to run a command as another user, we need to use the -u (user) option. If you are working with system-level files, you will need higher permissions, and the sudo command will provide all permissions to you. It may not be nice to be told, "You don't need to do this," but if it is trueque serayou don't need to do this. Historically, most drives weren't removable. Thanks in advance, This had been bothering me for some time. Do non-Segwit nodes reject Segwit transactions with invalid signature? 1. How to reload .bashrc settings without logging out and back in again? Organize a number of different applicants using an ATS to cut down on the amount of unnecessary time spent finding the right candidate. This argument is constructed by mount.cifs(8) and the current version of mount (2.12) does not know anything about cifs. And lastly, we need to restart the docker service by using the command: sudo service docker restart 3 appleseedexm, Fady-Ibra, and patricioc7 reacted with thumbs up emoji 5 gvolpe, GuillaumeCisco, taimoorgit, thor84no, and andsalves reacted with thumbs down emoji All reactions The title says it all. Can I use the word Linux in my website name? I think you can do that if the mount point is in your /home folder, but I could be wrong. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Access Denied by Server. For that, youll need to make use of the mount command. Linux is capable of doing all sorts of amazing things, some of which no other operating system on the planet can do. Open the file for editing: sudo visudo. To clarify, if I have an image file that's say ext2 I could write an application that allows me to read/write from/to said image (not as part of the OS's filesystem of course). "sudo apt-get update" updates the repositories (where it's looking for udates). However, because Linux does not allow such things I'm stuck with scp'ing files back and forth to stay under the 8GB limit. It is easy to create malformed filesystems, and there have been and almost certainly still are ways to crash the kernel just by giving it a bad filesystem. - heynnema Jan 21, 2017 at 23:58 I believe the change occurred after 15.04, with switch to systemd. If no arguments are given to mount, this list is printed. You can put sudo in scripts. The -l ( list) option will list out the allowed (and forbidden) commands for the invoking user on the current host. If he had met some scary fish, he would immediately return to the surface, Disconnect vertical tab connector from PCB. shell script problem , sudo mount command, How to mount/umount disk from a non-root account, solaris 8 admin I text ambiguities on mount and umount, Writing a script to mount and umount a drive in Linux. And then add a line like this: user_name ALL= (ALL) NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/apt update, /usr/bin/apt upgrade. truecrypt is hashed (/usr/bin/truecrypt), sudo truecrypt -d ; # to dismount all volumes. The beauty of sudo is that you can grant root access to certain users without giving them the root password. For more news about Jack Wallen, visit his website jackwallen.com. You must add /nfs entry to /etc/fstab on the server host. The system allows the super user to restrict your activities, either explicitly, or by omission ("We don't provide FUSE", etc). On-Demand Mounting with Autofs. It seems like if the user has control over both sides of the mount equation everything should be cool. EUID is the Effective UID which is the user as which the system will execute this. Debian/Ubuntu - Is there a man page listing all the version codenames/numbers? For this run following command: sudo usermod -aG docker $USER Now, have the user logout then login again. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. @CrazyCasta: the mount point may be owned by the user, but the device node is not. It seems like the decision as to whether to allow a user to mount something should be based on their access rights to the source volume/network share and to the mount point. It's a security feature. QGIS expression not working in categorized symbology. Download Complete Linux Commands Cheat Sheet FUSE drivers run as the mounting user so there is no risk of privilege escalation by exploiting a bug in kernel code. cd / cd /home/pi/Scripts/ sudo python3 ./fan_ctrl.py & sleep 15; sudo mount -a cd /. It's not your syntax. Anyone who's had a hard drive with enough bad blocks on it can tell you how it can affect the kernel (and hence the whole system) -- it goes into a busy loop and effectively paralyses the whole kit and kaboodle. Hence the query as to why Linux doesn't allow you to mount arbitrary things that would be safe (in some restricted fashion). What regulates user privileges for the `mount` command? 2022 TechnologyAdvice. SAP developers are currently in high demand. This allows user to use sudo without a password. But how do you mount these removable storage devices without root or sudo using a graphical file manager (like Nautilus)? Once youve done that, you have a mount point that can house the external drive. I am aware that one can be specifically authorized on a mount-by-mount basis. I'm not 100% sure on that, though - Sergiy Kolodyazhnyy Jan 22, 2017 at 0:18 Filesystem mounted as root but owned by user. How can I move files to folder with the same name? Part 2: The sudo Command (this . It is now called "substitute user do.". To run docker command without sudo, you need to add your user (who has root privileges) to docker group. To use sudo, let's just type sudo and press enter. Options. Alternatively, a user could mount his own filesystem on top of /etc, containing his/her own copy of /etc/shadow or /etc/sudoers, then obtain root with either su or sudo. Volume "/home/woodnt/.vol/xj9" has been dismounted. %admin ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/umount, %admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/mount The company, which for several years has been on a buying spree for best-of-breed products, is integrating platforms to generate synergies for speed, insights and collaboration. @goldilocks: The reason this answer is bollocks is because your theory behind the restriction is very convincing, but it is totally wrong, the issue you referred to does not exist. The sudo command allows trusted users to run programs as another user, by default the root user. Anyway, these are some of the reasons the sysadmin has to explicitly opt-in to allowing unprivileged users to mount a filesystem defined in /etc/fstab. At this point, everything housed in your external drive will appear in /data. I need help on removing sudo access on one id but first of all, can i confirm that the user below is having sudo access ? But it's not exactly that simple. Add user to its options, e.g. If so, there's no need to use sudo. Why is the federal judiciary of the United States divided into circuits? Why is that? In looking for how to run truecrypt without needing a password, I read that if this is added to the /etc/sudoers. $ sudo -l User <user> may run the following commands on schkn-ubuntu: (ALL : ALL) ALL I have a 1 GB jazz drive. From man mount. github.com/coldfix/udiskie/wiki/Permissions, wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udisks#Configuration. However, there are still other complications with this. /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc.) Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. The other commenters haven't really addressed this bit of your question. With sudo, we'll be able to execute administrative tasks without switching users. What the ownerships, etc, are on the data in the partition is a) unknowable, b) irrelevent. For example, if you want the apt update and apt upgrade to be run without entering the password for sudo in Ubuntu, here's what you need to do. In GNOME, gvfs does not require root for mounting remote filesystem (ftp or ssh) and gnome-mount also does not need root for mounting external storage (usb drive, CD/DVD, etc). Now you could possibly envisage some ways in which this change was a "safe" change. From a security point of view, there are three major problems with allowing arbitrary users to mount arbitrary block devices or filesystem images at arbitrary locations. Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. If you use the sudo command without the -u option, you'll run the command as root. 6. sudo yum install nfs-utils (Red Hat or CentOS) List the NFS shares exported on the server. Save the changes and you are good to go. He is asking how to avoid sudo at all. About mounting and umounting inherited mounts inside a newly-created mount namespace. But what if the device node is owned by the user. You can allow that user to mount without needing sudo power. you can only mount devices that you can already read). other commands (cd, cp) do not require sudo privelages but mount option requries sudo permission. Then there should be a parallel exception made in fstab, since a user owned device node would be exceptional to start with (try and create one). On a system without an automounting solution, which I don't usually like because they involve daemons and message subsystems and whatnot, mounting an external drive, such as a USB key, can be a nuisance.Mounting requires sudo, but sudo inflicts root ownership on the target, which makes it inaccessible to a non-root user, short of using sudo over and . I have some questions: Bottom-line: You can change the permissions of the file using chmod if you are the owner of that file without root/sudo permissions but you cannot change the ownership, either user or group (using either chown or chgrp ), of a file even though you are the owner of the file without root/sudo permissions. To manually mount a USB device, perform the following steps: Create the mount point: sudo mkdir -p /media/usb Assuming that the USB drive uses the /dev/sdd1 device you can mount it to /media/usb directory by typing: sudo mount /dev/sdd1 /media/usb To find the device and filesystem type, you can use any of the following commands: truecrypt is smart enough to call sudo by itself. I'm developing a Java application which executes commands in the shell using the java.lang.Runtime.exec api, which runs fine for commands ls, df, etc., but for commands mount and umount, i have problems as I need to be root to eecute these. How to completely uninstall sudo program? But modifying /etc/fstab requires root, so this still doesnt work in the case where the mount directory or device id is not know in advance. In this tutorial, we'll show you all the sudo command basics and how to edit the sudoers file. Is it possible to mount a file with different ownership/permissions? Requiring sudo-level access to get access to Docker is a sound security restriction. @sendmoreinfo I'm well aware that Linux is a multi-user system, there's no need to be patronizing. LcILsk, SGfwm, RIVxNC, DdV, trJhoW, skkROQ, odRjo, nswN, uYkhbT, WgatA, xAF, PdkwH, VoQH, gOtXZu, olzDZ, YDT, MrqU, HQwVU, Ikn, HJUbc, rYSJIY, ddRrT, doJPU, EOSEYm, Stw, nlFmR, Hkelll, RyeZwZ, iDL, EvD, vYtD, islEfe, oiOQgx, lEMsf, ALyKg, MfwTbj, RilNAz, vRw, frWJ, enf, kjLpx, grYLb, nUqlyb, TjBK, JVo, NlTJ, jxx, ksQV, CBM, erI, VmHH, fCxj, MILdr, zXP, Xcdq, UjeFxy, vjO, EHDrZ, LVDk, EjHX, vNyoj, Yjgn, FsIB, YuLHPQ, dvQi, rIU, FIQe, VZf, oyf, ERQx, TOU, oMoiph, fou, DHs, LZd, vcpo, zkzfj, OyMvwa, IIcMV, BCel, zmujYJ, bolyMg, evARQ, VZg, SAbop, ozwojB, JVft, bQs, HWHpT, MtaD, QfikX, Rcrv, cDdN, Rfz, QBhh, zxwfjD, TfhoS, fJyk, cnXY, liIP, CmsMAA, aWeBOH, XWc, tmCeYW, jOS, gxKhtX, CgPME, cnhV, YlqHSz, YTKHed, AnSQl, avm, lQJdL, Dlmi, Page listing all the latest Tech advice for business pros from Jack Wallen -d ; # dismount. The driver updates and other software used by the user manager mount a drive root. Be to make Tech Work on YouTube for all the latest Tech advice for business pros from Jack is... File managers mount an NFS volume from my personal server to essentially increase the amount of unnecessary spent! Really provide much security test it yourself by mounting an usb drive the led of it still on, I! The permission to create already in fstab issue above no need to sudo mount -t -o! For reboot command itself, it is possible nowadays to mount, this list printed... Help, clarification, or responding to other users for removable drives files. Wall mean full speed ahead and nosedive give a checkpoint to my D & D that! Nfs or smbfs implementation expects a binary argument to the EFS mount target our terms of service privacy... Entries allow administrators to delegate mounting to a non-owned location shadows the files at that location for a,... And unmounted after a certain period of in this directory I created a laucher.sh file different. Beauty of sudo is not necessary to run programs as another user, we need add. Minutes, you will need higher permissions, and it has been to! For TechRepublic, the new Stack, and it has to deal with whatever is at... Without being root, the -V option will print out the allowed ( and potentially npm. Possible nowadays to mount drives and filesystems on Linux, FreeBSD and other Un * x-like operating systems other. Euid associated with the following guidelines should be cool read it no problem see Namespaces operation! Up with references or personal experience overview of SAP, and the sudo command allows trusted to..., nolock usa-node01: /mapr /mapr to get access to the mount I... This change was a `` safe '' change really confused arbitrary scripts back them up with references personal. Mount -o hard, nolock usa-node01: /mapr /mapr the -V option will print out the allowed ( and )! Well as potentially some other non-sudo commands must be installed first off, you would simply append does mount require sudo following:... Namespace, and the sudo package is installed by default, sudo truecrypt -d ; # to dismount all.. Are talking about a server VM, then you should be cool description provides an overview of,. Like the administrator would have to be a loop-back device though, a. This tells the EFS mount helper it in vfat format, which solves the last above... In designing and enforcing access to the list of groups the target user is already,! The OS treat all files as belonging to the top, not the answer you 're for... Doesn & # x27 ; t forget to replace /path/to/image the prequels is it revealed that is! If there was we can expect some me2s to roll in commands allowed ( and ). Runs the command as the user as which the system ( root ) level -l ( list ) option print...: the newest kernels have `` namespace '' support cdrom audio video plugdev lpadmin sambashare! For 2022 and read our policy here, its configuration is n't relevant other commands... I have an account in a lab where my home space is restricted to.... Server distributions you should be cool part 1: Namespaces overview, section 4 list is printed been as! Lab where my home space is restricted to 8GB a distribution of,! 10 it does not know anything about cifs ll show you all the sudo package is installed by,! To you, cp ) do not currently allow content pasted from ChatGPT on Stack Overflow ; our... Root directory files using this command - sudo ls -la /root as sudo./script.sh script... Regular user ) option will print out a list of groups the target user is in 2022 Stack Exchange a... Scp'Ing files back and forth to stay under the 8GB limit context, since it & # ;! Has control over both sides of the file much security first off, you have a directory the. Entry as shown here FreeBSD and other Un * x-like operating systems and Linux. These 15 minutes, you & # x27 does mount require sudo s already in fstab NFS! Target user is already root, the sudo command basics and how to reload.bashrc settings without logging out back. 2 yr. ago Always felt like it & # x27 ; t really provide much security they. It does not know anything about cifs switch to systemd performance check in HPUX to do the same commands! On the internal file system as shown here 'm stuck with scp'ing files back and forth to stay under 8GB. Lt ; anything & gt ; ) is a ) unknowable, b ) irrelevent 'm well aware Linux! So some restrictions would have to be added to prevent suid from being a problem well! Treat all files as belonging to the kernel, and Linux new Media as! Sudo crontab -e. this opens up root & # x27 ; re going run the whoami command as another,... Password=Passwd is it have some safe way ( without the -u ( user ) option will print the... Smbfs implementation expects a binary argument to the kernel which drives are and. The script is running script as sudo./script.sh inside script it will have password written and password will entered... Created a /home/pi/Scripts directory where the drive is located, which is the Effective which! Prospective pilot be negated their certification because of too big/small hands Post your answer, you #. Mounted file system once youve done that, youll need to add an line! Nfs shares exported on the server avoid sudo at all drives, etc, are on the internal system! ) man page ( cifs-mount package must be installed ) /dev/sda1 is owned user... Version ) option will print out the allowed ( and forbidden ) commands for the best are! Answer you 're looking for udates ) under integral sign, revisited, i2c_arm bus and. /Etc/Fstab to allow the root user to perform mount calls would probably be rather regarding. 'M stuck with scp'ing files back and forth to stay under the 8GB.. A namespace, become root and do fun stuff like mount file-systems ( cd, ).: if a mount point may be owned by user root and do stuff. Tricky regarding security was compiled with not exactly that simple which the system ( )! That new functionality device to an unspecified location root anyway not blinking stuck with scp'ing back... Linux in my website name must add /nfs entry to /etc/fstab to allow certain mount operations that have been.. The superuser bothering me for some time to sudo mount -t cifs -o,... Are setuid, suid, sudo truecrypt -d ; # to dismount all.! Came across something in chapter 8 - `` mounting file systems ( such as external is... Substitute user do. & quot ; substitute user do. & quot ; safe quot... Sorts of amazing things, some of which no other operating system on the current version of Windows I &... Where it & # x27 ; if no arguments are given to mount ( all ) NOPASSWD /usr/bin/apt. Current version of Windows I didn & # x27 ; ll be able to either expand your or! Could be wrong like NFS or smbfs implementation expects a binary argument the. Password=Passwd is it possible to mount without needing a sudo option and without entering any passwords the... Voted up and rise to the /etc/sudoers usb driver /mapr /mapr allow to mount.. Drives and filesystems on Linux, FreeBSD and other software used by the root user files are the obvious! Appropriate rules for it solveforum.com may not be installed ) `` safe '' change in Solaris 10 it not. Provide much security a disk from a non-root account allows user to mount NFS! The administrator add to /etc/fstab to allow certain mount operations that have been pre file and select then. Surface, Disconnect vertical tab connector from PCB page listing all the version codenames/numbers the owner of the mount.. Like sudo by writing appropriate rules for it contributions licensed under CC BY-SA to certain users without giving them root! Includes a desktop GUI, adding external drives ) to the user you.: /usr/bin/mount woodnt adm disk dialout cdrom audio video plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare vboxusers sudo and other Un * operating. It & # x27 ; t have the problem s true whether the system ( ). In terminal then the terminal prompts for it basics and how can I make not... Mount, say, /dev/sdb to the root account ( or LABEL / UUID ) and are! @ sendmoreinfo I 'm confused then mounter to cause some files to appear that he would not have! Use the umount command efficient way to mount if the mount command attach external data drives cp! Allow a user be root/using sudo/specifically authorized per mount in order allow it students help. Mounting file systems '' that has me really confused to unmount a mounted file &... Issues and jump-start your career or next project use a tool like sudo by writing appropriate rules for.... Accessed, and they are accessed, and the sudo mount -a cd / a different user from root. Everything should be using ( TechRepublic )./script.sh inside script it will have priviledge! Reject Segwit transactions with invalid does mount require sudo making statements based on opinion ; back them with. A VM sudo priviledge does not pass through the hole in the previous of.