reinterpret_cast to void

This rule bans (T)expression only when used to perform an unsafe cast. There are a few circumstances where you might want to use a dynamic_cast instead of a static_cast, but these mostly involve casts in a class hierarchy and (only rarely) directly concern void*. will probably work ok on x86, but Irreducible representations of a product of two groups, What is this fallacy: Perfection is impossible, therefore imperfection should be overlooked. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. The static_cast is more appropriate for converting a void* to a pointer of some other type. Is this an at-all realistic configuration for a DHC-2 Beaver? Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow! Why was USB 1.0 incredibly slow even for its time? void is not included here because you can never dereference a void *. int ProgressBar (const uint64_t data_sent, const uint64_t data_total, void const *const data) { Dialog *dialog = reinterpret_cast<Dialog*> (data); dialog->setValue ( (data_sent *100) / data_total); } the reinterpret_cast seems not allowed and say reinterpret_cast from 'const void *) to Dialog * casts away qualifiers Any idea c++ casting In real world it is never used because void * is a special case, and you obtain the same value with static_cast: void *y = static_cast<void *> (x); // equivalent to previous reinterpret_cast (in fact above conversion is implicit and can be simply written void *y = x; - thank to Michael Kenzel for noticing it) the reinterpret_cast was a error with some compilers even in the more relaxed level while other accepted it in all case without ever giving a warning. When you refer to byte and char being the only legal types, it is just that it is legal to dereference the converted pointer only for those types. I'm casting from an int** to a void*. . Thanks for this the code makes my eyeballs crawl, but it seems to work properly and avoid warnings/errors even with maxed out warning-levels in gcc and clang. Thanks for a really detailed answer unfortunately this is going a little different direction from my misunderstanding. When should static_cast, dynamic_cast, const_cast, and reinterpret_cast be used? Leaving a link here: @cpplearner The types are in the Type Aliasing section. Is it cheating if the proctor gives a student the answer key by mistake and the student doesn't report it? Ready to optimize your JavaScript with Rust? Understanding reinterpret_cast. From that point on, you are dealing with 32 bits. For a conversion between different function type pointers or between different object type pointers you need to use reinterpret_cast. But usually static_cast is preferred because it is more narrow and in general (but not in this specific case) more safe conversion. You don't need to use reinterpret_cast, though. pointers aren't necessarily the same Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow! This cast operator can convert an integer to a pointer and so on. What reinterpret_cast convention is this? Why is Singapore currently considered to be a dictatorial regime and a multi-party democracy by different publications? I do hope this was all just an academic exercise; if code like this came up in a code review, I'd have serious misgivings about that . Counterexamples to differentiation under integral sign, revisited, i2c_arm bus initialization and device-tree overlay. It is used to convert a pointer of some data type into a pointer of another data type, even if the data types before and after conversion are different. The " reinterpret_cast " operator can convert any type of variable to fundamentally different type. For example, when using a C-style cast, as in. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. int* a = new int (); void* b = reinterpret_cast<void*> (a); int* c = reinterpret_cast<int*> (b); a and c contain the same value, but the value of b is unspecified. rev2022.12.11.43106. In C++0x, reinterpret_cast<int*> (p) will be . However, you should only do this if you used static cast to cast the pointer to void* in the first place. You claimed that it was possible to cast a pointer to, @BenVoigt you offered that code in response to someone asking "How do I cast", and then when someone said that the code casts between pointers (which it does), you said "Nope". But the function to pointer to function implicit conversion is made for the argument to reinterpret_cast, so what reinterpret_cast get is a Test** (*p)(void** a). One use of reinterpret_castis to convert a pointer to an unsigned integer (when pointers and unsigned integers are the same size): int i; unsigned int u = reinterpret_cast<unsigned int>(&i); Reply userNovember 30, -0001 at 12:00 am One use of reinterpret_cast is if you want to apply bitwise operations to (IEEE 754) floats. Das Hauptproblem ist, dass die Daten bentigt um einen Zeiger-auf . Note that a C-style (T)expression cast means to perform the first of the following that is possible: a const_cast , a static_cast , a static_cast followed by a const_cast , a reinterpret_cast , or a reinterpret_cast followed by a const_cast . Mathematica cannot find square roots of some matrices? In C the cast is allowed, but it's behavior isn't defined (i.e. . However, you should only do this if you used static cast to cast the pointer to void* in the first place. Those types are exempt from strict aliasing rules. test = reinterpret_cast<DWORD> (&ShowLogArg); myfunc (test); return (0); } The above program works fine on Windows server 2012 and Windows 10 when built in 32-bit mode using VS2012. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. But I'm not sure without analysing the code. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. c++ reinterpret_cast unique_ptr * unique_ptr * c++ Using reinterpret_cast to cast unique_ptr * to unique_ptr * for creating a transformable tree structure I'm just forgetting like an idiot. As with all cast expressions, the result is: an lvalue if new_type is an lvalue reference type or an rvalue reference to function type; ; an xvalue if new_type is an rvalue reference to object type; ; a prvalue otherwise. This has already saved me from bugs where I accidentally tried to coerce one pointer type into another. Is it possible to hide or delete the new Toolbar in 13.1? like int to pointer and pointer to int etc. Once a pointer has degenerated into a void* you can static_cast it to any type of pointer. The relevant section from cppreference on reinterpret_cast : (Any object pointer type T1* can be converted to another object pointer type cv T2*. reinterpret_cast void* C castconst C () POSIX C reinterpret_cast C ++ 0X reinterpret_cast The solution may be to replace *static_cast<const T*>(value) to reinterpret_cast<const T*>(value). -P.S. Was the ZX Spectrum used for number crunching? You should use static_cast so that the pointer is correctly manipulated to point at the correct location. Scenario 3: Forward and backward transitions between voids Errors can occur if no one pointer can be converted to void, and void can be converted backward to any pointer (for static_cast<> and reinterpret_cast<> conversions). Why does the distance from light to subject affect exposure (inverse square law) while from subject to lens does not? We do not currently allow content pasted from ChatGPT on Stack Overflow; read our policy here. Why does Cauchy's equation for refractive index contain only even power terms? The paragraphs about void* are 4 and 10. Is there a good reason to favor one over the other? Also, casting from void *can use static_cast, it does not need to reinterpret. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. reinterpret_cast static_cast static_cast reinterpret_cast Ready to optimize your JavaScript with Rust? The expression consists of a dereference applied to a cast. I want to reinterpret cast a function pointer into a void* variable. are member pointers fixed in size and reinterpret_cast? casting a void Casting between function pointers and Repeater. From: Nathan Sidwell <nathan@acm.org> To: Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>, Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com> Cc: gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org Subject: Re: [PATCH] c++: Only reject reinterpret casts from pointers to integers for manifestly_const_eval evaluation [PR99456] Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 08:35:45 -0500 [thread overview] Message-ID: <d6d0ff1a-1cc1-b689-f4e8-8f7ff57fd4ad@acm.org> () In-Reply-To . EDIT (2017): The answer above is only correct for C++03. If you have a function, and want a void* pointing to it, you can do it all in one line, but that's a bit cumbersome on the syntax. static_cast only allows conversions like int to float or base class pointer to derived class pointer. Du kann nicht werfen einen Zeiger-auf-member void * oder zu jedem anderen "normalen" Zeiger-Typ. Do not dereference it or you will enter the myth-enshrouded lands of undefined behavior. I want to reinterpret cast a function pointer into a void* variable. rev2022.12.11.43106. @BenVoigt That is casting between pointers; one of them happened to be a float pointer. The reinterpret_cast operator should not be used to convert between pointers to different classes that are in the same class hierarchy; use a static or dynamic cast for that purpose. The rubber protection cover does not pass through the hole in the rim. In computer science, a pointer is an object in many programming languages that stores a memory address.This can be that of another value located in computer memory, or in some cases, that of memory-mapped computer hardware.A pointer references a location in memory, and obtaining the value stored at that location is known as dereferencing the pointer. So, when you cast a (void*) to (long), you are losing 32 bits of data in the conversion. I usually do the following, which is doing a type pun, and is the recommended way to do it, according to the manpage of dlopen (which is about doing the converse - casting from void* to a function pointer). Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. So you can use reinterpret_cast and const_cast together. How to cast void pointers to function pointers, i2c_arm bus initialization and device-tree overlay. reinterpret_cast reinterpret_cast . Otherwise you should reinterpret_cast to exactly the same type of the original pointer (no bases or such). Something can be done or not a fit? The Boost Serialization library has a good. Use static_cast for this. #include<iostream> float fastInvSqrt( float x ) { const int INV_SQRT_N = 1597292357; const float MULT = 1.000363245811462f; float const mx = 0.5f * MULT * x; If you want to print the address, cast the pointer to void* first: cout<< "address=" << ( void *)charPtr1; extensible library interface without reinterpret_cast. Can several CRTs be wired in parallel to one oscilloscope circuit? static_cast will not prevent this from happening. How can I use a VPN to access a Russian website that is banned in the EU? Both static_cast and reinterpret_cast seem to work fine for casting void* to another pointer type. I was concerned about the below explanation. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Browse other questions tagged, Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide. Some give a warning depending on the warning and conformance level, others gave no warning whatever I tried. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. size as regular pointers, since on However, this doesnt actually describe the effect of a reinterpret_cast. While there are a few additional things that a C cast can do which aren't allowed by combination of static, reinterpret and const casts, that conversion is not one of them. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Is it Legal to reinterpret_cast to a void*, https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/reinterpret_cast, stackoverflow.com/questions/573294/when-to-use-reinterpret-cast. There are two caveats to be made: 1. Was the ZX Spectrum used for number crunching? Should teachers encourage good students to help weaker ones? rev2022.12.11.43106. The standard guarantees that first one is a standard (read implicit) conversion: A prvalue of type pointer to cv T, where T is an object type, can be converted to a prvalue of type pointer For a conversion of void* to int* you can only use static_cast (or the equivalent C-style cast). some architectures they might contain When should static_cast, dynamic_cast, const_cast, and reinterpret_cast be used? Can several CRTs be wired in parallel to one oscilloscope circuit? reinterpret_cast is a tricky beast. Except that converting an rvalue of type "pointer to T1" to the type "pointer to T2" (where T1 and T2 are function types) and back to its original type yields the original pointer value, the result of such a pointer conversion is unspecified. The type of a pointer to cv void or a pointer to an object type is called an object pointer type.. You don't need to use reinterpret_cast, though.Every object pointer type whose pointed type is cv-unqualified is implicitly convertible to void*, and the . An object pointer can be explicitly converted to an object pointer of a different type. CGAC2022 Day 10: Help Santa sort presents! Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Taking the address of the function pointer will give you a data-pointer: Pointer to a function pointer. reinterpret_cast, on the other hand, is a casting operator designed to do conversions that are fundamentally not safe or not portable. Would salt mines, lakes or flats be reasonably found in high, snowy elevations? Is it correct to say "The glue on the back of the sticker is dying down so I can not stick the sticker to the wall"? CGAC2022 Day 10: Help Santa sort presents! to cv void. Are can all casting operations be covered by the other 3 cast operators? How to use VC++ intrinsic functions w/o run-time library, C++ gives strange error during structure initialization with an array inside. static_cast is intended to be used here). When would I give a checkpoint to my D&D party that they can return to if they die? As for which one is preferred by the spec, neither is overly mentioned as "the right one to use" (or at least, I don't remember one of them being mentioned this way.) example how; so does the tinyxml project. Error: #694: reinterpret_cast cannot From that point on, you are dealing with 32 bits. Increment void pointer by one byte? 10 QGuiApplication::allWindows () 11 QSharedPointer. Should I use static_cast or reinterpret_cast when casting a void* to whatever. If he had met some scary fish, he would immediately return to the surface. To clarify: what the author means here by ", @curiousguy Not true according to the standard. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. by two? Site design / logo 2022 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Reinterpret-cast: The reinterpret cast operator changes a pointer to any other type of pointer. Does balls to the wall mean full speed ahead or full speed ahead and nosedive? No there don't (or rather, they might, but a C++ implementation for such a processor wouldn't be standard conformant). Below C++ program demonstrates the use of reinterpret_cast to reinterpret the bit pattern. (*)(void) to a void*). By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. reinterpret_cast does NOT guarantee that the same address is used. This By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Syntax : reinterpret_cast <type> (Expression) reinterpret_cast performs a low level reinterpretation of the bit pattern of its operands. Counterexamples to differentiation under integral sign, revisited, QGIS expression not working in categorized symbology. Why do we have reinterpret_cast in C++ when two chained static_cast can do its job? reninterpret_cast does not check if the pointer type and data pointed by the pointer is same or not. Can virent/viret mean "green" in an adjectival sense? I found that using this technique, GCC automatically notices when the left and the right types differ in size, and spit out a warning in that case. This means in particular that a cast from a pointer to function to void * is not possible, but you can cast it to void(*)(). template<class Vector> void test (Vector& vec) { using E = decltype (vec [0]); for (int i=0; i < 10; ++i) { vec.push_back (E (i)); } } int main () { std::vector<double> v; test (v); for (int i=0; i < 10; ++i) { printf ("%f\n", v [i]); } } That's unsafe and compiler warns you here that it could be that the destination type is not big enough to hold the source value. How could my characters be tricked into thinking they are on Mars? CDerived* pD = new CDerived (); rev2022.12.11.43106. CGAC2022 Day 10: Help Santa sort presents! a reinterpret_cast (5.2.10); One simple solution would be to use intptr_t: static constexpr intptr_t ptr = 0x1; and then cast later on when you need to use it: reinterpret_cast<void*> (foo::ptr) ; It may be tempting to leave it at that but this story gets more interesting though. Does balls to the wall mean full speed ahead or full speed ahead and nosedive? Below is the sample code, class Test { int a; }; int main () { Test* *p (void **a); void *f=reinterpret_cast<void*> (p); } The above code works well with Visual Studio/x86 compilers. It doesn't guarantee any safety and your program might crash as the underlying object could be anything. Does illicit payments qualify as transaction costs? And I will eventually cast from the void* back to an int**. reinterpret_cast to void* not working with function pointers, Casting a function pointer to another type. Why does the USA not have a constitutional court? (void*) &d); } Since the arrays are reference types and hold their own metadata about their type you cannot reinterpret them without overwriting the . Site design / logo 2022 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. For back casting, standard says (in static_cast paragraph): A prvalue of type pointer to cv1 void can be converted to a prvalue of type pointer to cv2 T. reinterpret_cast<char*>(&x)int 10910 Is this an at-all realistic configuration for a DHC-2 Beaver? */ /* */ /* $Source: src/runtime/rt_vfs.C . text and read text. We do not currently allow content pasted from ChatGPT on Stack Overflow; read our policy here. reinterpret_cast allows anything, that's usually a dangerous thing and normally reinterpret_cast is rarely used, tipically to convert reinterpret_cast is a type of casting operator used in C++. static_cast is the cast of choice when there is a natural, intuitive conversion between two types that isn't necessarily guaranteed to work at runtime. object pointer type is converted to the object pointer type pointer to cv T, the result is static_cast(static_cast(v)). Generic Method Pointer. Why should I use a pointer rather than the object itself? At what point in the prequels is it revealed that Palpatine is Darth Sidious? @anon Apparently you've never worked with POSIX threads before then. Note that if that make sense or not will depend on the target more than the compiler: a portable compiler like gcc will have a behavior imposed by the target architecture and possibly ABI. Here it is how this can be done, but i don't recommend it if you have problems to read it - you may however use it inside a macro. Ready to optimize your JavaScript with Rust? The reinterpret_cast<> must be used carefully. Books that explain fundamental chess concepts. 9 windows. - type is a pointer reinterpreted as. 6 QWindowsForeignWindow::setParent. Why do some airports shuffle connecting passengers through security again. "it's the cast from the void* to the int** that requires a reinterpret_cast" is wrong. This is illustrated in the following example: class A {int a; public: A ();}; cast away const or other type even round trip isn't guaranteed to work). @MartinYork reinterpret_cast is what you use to go between unrelated types of the same size (eg intptr_t <-> void*, this will not fly with static_cast or similar). char *charPtr1=reinterpret_cast<char*> (intPtr1); cout<<"address="<<charPtr1<<";c="<<*charPtr1<<endl; There's an overload of operator<< (char*), which assumes the pointer points to a NUL-terminated string, and prints that string. Whether this leads to breaking the strict aliasing rules and undefined behavior is left to the programmer. Others pointed out you cannot do that cast (strongly speaking, casting to void* anything using reinterpret_cast is also not allowed - but silently tolerated by the compilers. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. reinterpret_cast means like telling the compiler that I know better than you here, just carry out what I am saying. Does illicit payments qualify as transaction costs? How many transistors at minimum do you need to build a general-purpose computer? For example: - reinterpret_cast is a keyword. Not the answer you're looking for? i.e. Don't write a binary file "because it's faster". Help us identify new roles for community members, Proposing a Community-Specific Closure Reason for non-English content, casting via void* instead of using reinterpret_cast. Is it legal to use function with no definition c++? To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. How do I arrange multiple quotations (each with multiple lines) vertically (with a line through the center) so that they're side-by-side? Have fun! .. Irreducible representations of a product of two groups. 7 QDebug<<. You need to also use a const_cast to remove const qualifiers. Similarly, you can use static_cast to convert from an int to a char, which is well-defined but may cause a loss of precision when executed. On the other hand, if you're casting between pointer types (as is fairly common when indexing in memory via a char*, for example), static_cast will generate a compiler error and you'll be forced to use reinterpret_cast anyway. (unsigned*)&x therefore reduces to reinterpret_cast<unsigned*>(&x) and doesn't work. All you need is a single static_cast: We do not currently allow content pasted from ChatGPT on Stack Overflow; read our policy here. static_cast is a good choice if you have some advance knowledge that the cast is going to work at runtime, and communicates to the compiler "I know that this might not work, but at least it makes sense and I have a reason to believe it will correctly do the right thing at runtime." Something can be done or not a fit? So its better and recommended to use static_cast. Also, does the direction of the conversion matter. At what point in the prequels is it revealed that Palpatine is Darth Sidious? This will allow you to cast it to void*. It's in the language for a reason. Does aliquot matter for final concentration? Your code is not guaranteed to work on any compiler, ever. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. 3.4 reinterpret_cast. The type of a pointer to cv void or a pointer to an object type is called an object pointer type. Really not sure what else you could do to access registers at memory mapped locations with specific addresses, except C-casts. I was looking at https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/reinterpret_cast and I noticed that it specifies the legal types we can always cast to: But I did not see void* in the list. Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow! MOSFET is getting very hot at high frequency PWM. Site design / logo 2022 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Ready to optimize your JavaScript with Rust? Course Hero uses AI to attempt to automatically extract content from documents to surface to you and others so you can study better, e.g., in search results, to enrich docs, and more. target-type is the target of the cast whereas expr is being cast into the new target-type. Here: #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main () { int i = 123456 ; // p123456 int * p = reinterpret_cast < int *> ( i ); return 0 ; } reinterpret_castvoid*static_cast static_cast @BenVoigt the "entire expression" isn't a cast though. none prevent the C cast, even in the highest conformance mode. Why use static_cast(x) instead of (int)x? To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Is energy "equal" to the curvature of spacetime? Image Processing: Algorithm Improvement for 'Coca-Cola Can' Recognition. a conversion from type cv void * to a pointer-to-object type; Keep in mind that a c-style cast like (char*) is reduced to either static_cast or reinterpret_cast whose limitations are listed above. static _ cas t const _ cas tre interp ret_ cas t dynamic _ cas t. kingsfar . As with all cast expressions, the result is: an lvalue if new_type is an lvalue reference type or an rvalue reference to function type; ; an xvalue if new_type is an rvalue reference to object type; ; a prvalue otherwise. Browse other questions tagged, Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide. Replacing a 32-bit loop counter with 64-bit introduces crazy performance deviations with _mm_popcnt_u64 on Intel CPUs. reinterpret_cast casts away const qualifier? To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. This is the object: Expand | Select | Wrap | Line Numbers template<class T> class Coordinates { public: T *x; T *y; int size; public: Coordinates (); Coordinates (int s, T data); Coordinates (const Coordinates &c); ~Coordinates ();; void zeros (void); }; [] Keywordreinterpret_cast [] Type aliasinWhen a pointer or reference to object of type T1 is reinterpret_cast (or C-style cast) to a pointer or reference to object of a . Thanks to Richard which makes me revisit the issue more in depth (for the record, I was mistaken in thinking that the pointer to function to pointer to object was one case where the C cast allowed something not authorized by C++ casts combinations). The rubber protection cover does not pass through the hole in the rim. When should static_cast, dynamic_cast, const_cast, and reinterpret_cast be used? From C++ . Fixes the following MSVC 2005 warning when doing tests like ClassName *p = 0; REQUIRE( p != 0 ); warning C4312: 'reinterpret_cast' : conversion from 'int' to 'ClassName *' of greater size int needs to be cast to intptr_t apparently: old:. Japanese girlfriend visiting me in Canada - questions at border control? Should I use static_cast or reinterpret_cast when casting a void* to whatever. [] Keywordreinterpret_cast [] Type aliasinWhen a pointer or reference to object of type T1 is reinterpret_cast (or C-style cast) to a pointer or reference to object of a . The trick to start being able to do the type but is to transform the temporary function pointer to an lvalue reference to const, which you can take the address of, and then proceed like above. SWIG%rename " "%pythoncodePythonPythonPython " "carraysPython . Share Improve this answer Is this an at-all realistic configuration for a DHC-2 Beaver? Add a new light switch in line with another switch? (175) QT0-5qimageqpainter . The intermediary cast to void* makes it equivalent to using two static_cast's internally, and makes GCC be quiet about warning about a type pun. Accessing the result of this cast violates strict aliasing and causes undefined behavior, as usual. Excellent observation :-). Putting a space in ". 1. static _ cas t static _ cas t static _ca. Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow! Why would I use dynamic_cast to cast TO a void *? To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. However it crashes on Windows server 2012 and Windows 10 when built in 64-bit mode using VS2012. Does illicit payments qualify as transaction costs? qualifiers, I read the explanation in Casting a function pointer to another type. Explanation Unlike static_cast, but like const_cast, the reinterpret_cast expression does not compile to any CPU instructions (except when converting between integers and pointers or on obscure architectures where pointer representation depends on its type). I've played with several compilers I've here: In the last available draft for C++0X, the reinterpret_cast between function pointers and objects pointers is conditionally supported. Only that if you reinterpret_cast from one type to another. You can also use reinterpret_cast to convert a float* to an int* or vice-versa, which is platform-specific because the particular representations of floats and ints aren't guaranteed to have anything in common with one another. Not the answer you're looking for? Also, casting from void * can use static_cast, it does not need to reinterpret. However, you are also casting the result of this operation to (void*). Losing bytes like this is called 'truncation', and that's what the first warning is telling you. It is always legal to convert from a pointer to a type to a pointer to a different type including void, so if T is a type this is legal C++: In real world it is never used because void * is a special case, and you obtain the same value with static_cast: (in fact above conversion is implicit and can be simply written void *y = x; - thank to Michael Kenzel for noticing it), To be more explicit the standard even says in draft n4659 for C++17 8.2.10 Reinterpret cast [expr.reinterpret.cast], 7. When you convert CDerived to CBaseX static_cast<> and reinterpret_cast<> are no different. As an analogy, a page number in a book's . Der C++ FAQ Lite dies erklrt in einigen Details. Could you just post that as an answer and I'll accept? A C++ reinterpret cast seems to accomplish this just fine but so far I have had no success in D after trying quite a few different things. When is casting void pointer needed in C? If you're just looking to store different types of function pointer in a list then you can cast to a common function pointer type: This is valid to do via reinterpret_cast (5.2.10/6): A pointer to a function can be explicitly converted to a pointer to a function of a different type. cast to const __FlashStringHelper*, if you don't need to modify the object; cast from char* if you do need to modify it; use reinterpret_cast<__FlashStringHelper*>(const_cast<char*>(whatever)) or the brute-force (__FlashStringHelper*)whatever if you insist on abandoning the type system entirely. Which cast to use; static_cast or reinterpret_cast? should I use it or static_cast then static_cast to avoid reinterpret_cast? The more structure-breaking the cast is, the more attention using it requires. The following SO topics provide more context and details: What wording in the C++ standard allows static_cast(malloc(N)); to work? The compiler can then check that the cast is between related types, reporting a compile-time error if this isn't the case. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Not the answer you're looking for? Site design / logo 2022 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. If he had met some scary fish, he would immediately return to the surface. Zeiger-zu-member werden nicht korrigiert, wie regelmige Zeiger sind. Browse other questions tagged, Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide. Raw memory access like this is not type-safe and can only be done under a full trust security environment. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. ReInterpret Cast ( reinterpret_cast) is a cast operator that converts a pointer of some data type into a pointer of another data type, even if the the data types before and after conversion are different. remember that it's undefined behavior. Theres a misconception that using reinterpret_cast would be a better match because it meanscompletely ignore type safety and just cast from A to B. I'd suggest rethinking the interface to ProgressBar to avoid needing this cast. For example, you can use reinterpret_cast to convert from a void * to an int, which will work correctly if your system happens to have sizeof (void*) sizeof (int). in most cases the 2 casts do the same thing but static_cast is far more restrictive than reinterpret_cast. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Use static_cast on both sides for this, and save reinterpret_cast for when no other casting operation will do. What happens if you score more than 99 points in volleyball? MOSFET is getting very hot at high frequency PWM, PSE Advent Calendar 2022 (Day 11): The other side of Christmas. It's sole purpose is to indicate to the compiler that you want to take some bits and pretend that they represent this other type. That brings us to our final answer: auto fptr = &f; void *a = reinterpret_cast<void *&>(fptr); This works. The result of a reinterpret_cast cannot safely be used for anything other than being cast back to its original type. How can I use a VPN to access a Russian website that is banned in the EU? Browse other questions tagged, Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide, You should at least put in an assert that, Note that p actually has type Test**(void**), and is a function, not a function pointer. Hidden reinterpret_cast s Here's a fun little puzzle, courtesy of Richard Hodges on Slack. @FranoisAndrieux Ugh, I knew that. convert a pointer to an integral type large enough to hold it and back, convert a pointer to a function to a pointer to a function of different type, convert a pointer to an object to a pointer to an object of different type, convert a pointer to a member function to a pointer to a member function of different type, convert a pointer to a member object to a pointer to a member object of different type. Did neanderthals need vitamin C from the diet? In any case, the resulting pointer may only be dereferenced safely if allowed by the type aliasing rules). CbDrawIndexed *drawCmd = reinterpret_cast<CbDrawIndexed*>(mSwIndirectBufferPtr + (size_t)cmd->indirectBufferOffset ); bufferCONST_SLOT_STARTVES_POSITION reinterpret_cast < new-type > ( expression ) Returns a value of type new-type . My use case requires a reinterpret_cast because I'm casting from an int** to a void*. Would salt mines, lakes or flats be reasonably found in high, snowy elevations? Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. How does legislative oversight work in Switzerland when there is technically no "opposition" in parliament? [] Keywordreinterpret_cast [] Type aliasinWhen a pointer or reference to object of type T1 is reinterpret_cast (or C-style cast) to a pointer or reference to object of a . Should I use static_cast or reinterpret_cast when casting a void* to whatever. How do I arrange multiple quotations (each with multiple lines) vertically (with a line through the center) so that they're side-by-side? C++. This cast operator can also convert variable into totally incompatible type too. Help us identify new roles for community members, Proposing a Community-Specific Closure Reason for non-English content, C++ Converting function pointer to unique hash key. Keyboard shortcuts: Use 'j/k' keys for keyboard navigation; Use 'Shift+S' to show/hide relevant lines; Use '?' to toggle this window So, when you cast a (void*) to (long), you are losing 32 bits of data in the conversion. int cell = 20; outFile.write (reinterpret_cast<const char *> (&cell),sizeof (cell)); You are asking whether binary files are good. should I still use static_cast for: I have read the other questions on C++ style casting but I'm still not sure what the correct way is for this scenario (I think it is static_cast). By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. It does not mean they are the only type you can use with reinterpret_cast. When convert a void pointer to a specific type pointer, which casting symbol is better, static_cast or reinterpret_cast? When casting from a void* there is not type information for the cast to work with. Use static_cast: it is the narrowest cast that exactly describes what conversion is made here. (clang ++) error: reinterpret_cast from const void * to uv_loop_s *const casts away qualifiers The funny thing is that I'm not doing a cast to uv_loop_s * , but to const uv_loop_s * : return reinterpret_cast< const T > ( raw() ); and the raw( ) function is declared as const void *raw() const noexcept A minimal verifiable example: In practice I use reinterpret_cast because it's more descriptive of the intent of the cast operation. reinterpret_cast will forcefully convert the void* to the target data type. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. Other uses are, at best, nonportable. @user470379 Wowthat's the very reason I landed on this question at SO! MOSFET is getting very hot at high frequency PWM. C++ static _ cas t dynamic _ cas t const _ cas tre interp ret_ cas t. The type of the function pointer will be of type Class* (*)(void*). reinterpret_cast method pointer to different class, is this UB? CGAC2022 Day 10: Help Santa sort presents! To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. Logan Capaldo 2010-08-13 13:17:58 @Logan Capaldo: Thanks. The above code works well with Visual Studio/x86 compilers. In C++11 through C++17, it is implementation defined if conversions between function pointers and void * are allowed. The purpose of reinterpret_cast is to reinterpret the bits of one value as the bits of another value. reinterpret_cast to void* not working with function pointers, error: passing xxx as 'this' argument of xxx discards qualifiers, Replacing a 32-bit loop counter with 64-bit introduces crazy performance deviations with _mm_popcnt_u64 on Intel CPUs. Using reinterpret_cast to cast a function to void*, why isn't it illegal? Function reinterpret_cast, on the other hand, is a casting operator designed to do conversions that are fundamentally not safe or not portable. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Just be so kind as to only use it for comparison, as key in a hash map or similarly innocent things. Is it possible to hide or delete the new Toolbar in 13.1? As you can see from the last line of the question I'm trying to cast from an. We do not currently allow content pasted from ChatGPT on Stack Overflow; read our policy here. static\u castv[0] int reinterpret\u cast reinterpret_cast Site design / logo 2022 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Using C++ Style casts, this looks like a combination of two static_cast's. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. is it better than static_cast? To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. The rubber protection cover does not pass through the hole in the rim. 3.3 void* , static_cast reinterpret_cast , void* . reinterpret_cast,"". reinterpret_cast may be used to cast a pointer to a float. Can we keep alcoholic beverages indefinitely? "it specifies the legal types we can always cast to" This seems like your invention. The pointer value (6.9.2) is unchanged by this conversion. reinterpret_cast can't be used to cast a pointer to function to a void*. Are the S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average securities? What is this fallacy: Perfection is impossible, therefore imperfection should be overlooked. shouldn't Test* *p(void **a); be Test* (*p)(void **a) ? (Nearly -1) I don't think this is right, can you provide a reference for this? regular pointers (e.g. Write. Japanese girlfriend visiting me in Canada - questions at border control? You could certainly make a case for a different operator to designate pointer reinterprets only (which guaranteed the same address returned), but there isn't one in the standard. Help us identify new roles for community members, Proposing a Community-Specific Closure Reason for non-English content. - Expression is a pointer to be reinterpreted. Ready to optimize your JavaScript with Rust? [basic.compound]/3:. How do I arrange multiple quotations (each with multiple lines) vertically (with a line through the center) so that they're side-by-side? It pretends it's pointing to a void* (instead of a function pointer), and then reads it. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. As with all cast expressions, the result is: an lvalue if new_type is an lvalue reference type or an rvalue reference to function type; ; an xvalue if new_type is an rvalue reference to object type; ; a prvalue otherwise. So why have reinterpret_cast<>? Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. What properties should my fictional HEAT rounds have to punch through heavy armor and ERA? ( reinterpret_cast does not perform the adjustments that might be needed.) Browse other questions tagged, Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide. @MartinYork reinterpret_cast is what you use to go between unrelated types of the same size (eg intptr_t <-> void*, this will not fly with static_cast or similar). But with ARM compiler, it gives compilation error. Cast from Void* to TYPE* using C++ style cast: static_cast or reinterpret_cast. For example, you can use reinterpret_cast to convert from a void * to an int, which will work correctly if your system happens to have sizeof (void*) sizeof (int). They are bad. If the other side of the void* will cast to a base class you need to also cast to that base class before assigning to void. Otherwise you should reinterpret_cast to exactly the same type of the original pointer (no bases or such). Why is Singapore currently considered to be a dictatorial regime and a multi-party democracy by different publications? Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. The type of the function pointer will be of type Class* (*) (void*). Should teachers encourage good students to help weaker ones? However, I think the spec wants you to use static_cast over reinterpret_cast. I suggest using the weakest possible cast always. The effect of calling a function through a pointer to a function type (8.3.5) that is not the same as the type used in the definition of the function is undefined. Losing bytes like this is called 'truncation', and that's what the first warning is telling you. Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. You likely obtained that void* with implicit conversion, so you should use static_cast because it is closest to the implicit conversion. Dialog *dialog = const_cast<Dialog*>(reinterpret_cast<const Dialog *>(data)); Solution 2 You need to also use a const_castto remove constqualifiers. As we learnt in the generic types example, static_cast<> will fail if you try to cast an object to another unrelated class, while reinterpret_cast<> will always succeed by "cheating" the compiler to believe that the object is really that unrelated class. The C style cast automatically dealed with that. Tim Roberts [MVP] wrote: There do exist processors on which a "char *" and an "int *" are different sizes. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. How should I cast the result of malloc in C++? What is a smart pointer and when should I use one? So you are either doing an invalid cast or a casting back to the original type that was previously cast into a void*. This type of cast reinterprets the value of a variable of one type as another variable of a different type. Which one to use when static_cast and reinterpret_cast have the same effect? It is efficient because it does not copy the value. Is the EU Border Guard Agency able to tell Russian passports issued in Ukraine or Georgia from the legitimate ones? Why do some airports shuffle connecting passengers through security again. Can virent/viret mean "green" in an adjectival sense? But you can still cast the resulting pointer back to the original type safely, and use the result as-if it was the original pointer. Therefore, if it's not possible to do this using reinterpret_cast then it is not possible with a C-style cast either. A casting operator for abnormal casting cases. Generally reinterpret_cast is much less restrictive than other C++ style casts in that it will allow you to cast most types to most other types which is both it's strength and weakness. It's recently that I needed to properly understand reinterpret_cast, which is a method of converting between data types. Can several CRTs be wired in parallel to one oscilloscope circuit? And I will eventually cast from the void* back to an int**. Needless to say that like with all techniques that try to work around this limitation, this is undefined behavior. Case 2: Casting to related classes 1. Not the answer you're looking for? Was Sie wahrscheinlich tun mssen, ist, wickeln Sie Ihre member-Funktion in einem regulren Funktion. Only in the rarest of rare cases when there is no other way use reinterpret_cast. reinterpret_cast, on the other hand, is a casting operator designed to do conversions that are fundamentally not safe or not portable. However, you are also casting the result of this operation to (void*). Something can be done or not a fit? On the one hand, Konrad makes an excellent point about the spec definition for reinterpret_cast, although in practice it probably does the same thing. Casting to and from void* using static_cast and using reinterpret_cast is identical. When a prvalue v of You can achieve this but this is a relatively bad idea. The order of casting operators that's tried always tries to use a static_cast before a reinterpret_cast, which is the behavior you want since reinterpret_cast isn't guaranteed to be portable. defines a function, not a pointer to function. In current C++, you can't use reinterpret_cast like in that code. It's my understanding that C-style cast is defined in terms of the new cast styles. For example, you can use reinterpret_cast to convert from a void * to an int, which will work correctly if your system happens to have sizeof (void*) sizeof (int). Some POSIX functions need the conversion to be well useful. reinterpret_cast in C#. Every object pointer type whose pointed type is cv-unqualified is implicitly convertible to void*, and the inverse can be done by static_cast. So if your converting from Void* to Type* or from Type* to Void* should you use: To me static_cast seems the more correct but I've seen both used for the same purpose. It also allows. We do not currently allow content pasted from ChatGPT on Stack Overflow; read our policy here. In short, if you ever find yourself doing a conversion in which the cast is logically meaningful but might not necessarily succeed at runtime, avoid reinterpret_cast. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Const_cast: The const_cast operator is used to explicitly override const and/or . Syntax : How can I cast "const void*" to the function pointer in C++11? Is this an oversight? This is a tough question. Are there any situations where reinterpre_cast<> should be used. Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. I don't see any rule in the standard allowing this conversion. (in practice it will typically contain the same address as a and c, but that's not specified in the standard, and it may not be true on machines with more complex memory systems.) confusion between a half wave and a centre tapped full wave rectifier. Not the answer you're looking for? The reinterpret_cast operator can be used for conversions such as char* to int*, or One_class* to Unrelated_class*, which are inherently unsafe. Allowed static casts and their results are described in 5.2.9 (expr.static.cast). There is no need for a cast of any sort when converting to a void* pointer. Help us identify new roles for community members, Proposing a Community-Specific Closure Reason for non-English content. You mean besides the standard? 8 vscodewindows. Jul 22 '05 # 3 hack_tick hi there Help us identify new roles for community members, Proposing a Community-Specific Closure Reason for non-English content. In other words, reinterpret_cast<void(*&)()>(x)performs type punning on the pointer itself. How to do such conversions from void (*)(void*) -> void* effectively so that atleast it compiles almost the same in most of the compilers ? You should use static_cast so that the pointer is correctly manipulated to point at the correct location. . This is usually the case on POSIX compatible systems because dlsym() is declared to return void *, and clients are expected to reinterpret_cast it to the correct function pointer type. You should always avoid reinterpret_cast, and in this case static_cast will do the job. I have used reinterpret_cast for interpret a class object as a char*. reinterpret_cast can't cast away cv-qualifiers So you can use reinterpret_castand const_casttogether. confusion between a half wave and a centre tapped full wave rectifier. Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow! How could my characters be tricked into thinking they are on Mars? rev2022.12.11.43106. extra contextual information. For example, you can use static_cast to convert base class pointers to derived class pointers, which is a conversion that makes sense in some cases but can't be verified until runtime. What properties should my fictional HEAT rounds have to punch through heavy armor and ERA? How to make voltage plus/minus signs bolder? I use reinterpret_cast to convert integer memory addresses to pointers to overlay structs. reinterpret_cast is very much standard C++. casting from pointer to an integer type and vice versa. [expr.reinterpret.cast]/7:. In the case of casting an object pointer to another object pointer type, failing to meet the requirements of strict aliasing rules means you cannot safely dereference the result. 3.5 int reinterpret_cast. void(*println_ptr)(Printer*const, const char*) = reinterpret_cast<void(*)(Printer*const, const char*)>(&Printer::println); Last edited on . How can I cast "const void*" to the function pointer in C++11? For ex, you could typecast an myclass* to void* and then use reinterpret_cast to convert it to yourclass* which may have a completely different layout. Fixed by #403 yurivict commented on Oct 16, 2018 cryos on Oct 18, 2018 #403 cryos completed in #403 on Oct 18, 2018 Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub . For example: However , make sure that the Dialog is actually not a const object; attempting to modify a const object (presumably setValue does this) causes undefined behaviour. Using reinterpret_cast to do this with pointer conversions completely bypasses the compile-time safety check. What properties should my fictional HEAT rounds have to punch through heavy armor and ERA? How do I put three reasons together in a sentence? In C++11, the cast to Why is processing a sorted array faster than processing an unsorted array? reinterpret_cast<T&>(x)is equivalent to *reinterpret_cast<T*>(&x). In case of char*, I'd use c-style cast, until we have some reinterpret_pointer_cast, because it's weaker and nothing else is sufficient. That page does not say anything similar to that. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Why can't pointer fit variable of different type, even though sizeof is same? It does not check if the pointer type and data pointed by the pointer is same or not. Using explicit C++ style static_cast casts, this looks much more complicated, because you have to take the constness into account. reinterpret_cast from double to unsigned char*, std::cout not properly printing std::string created by reinterpret_cast of unsigned char array. See the answer at the link. How to print function pointers with cout? Is it illegal to use resources in a University lab to prove a concept could work (to ultimately use to create a startup). But in the particular case of casting from void* to T* the mapping is completely well-defined by the standard; namely, to assign a type to a typeless pointer without changing its address. When casting back to the original type, AliasedType and DynamicType are the same, so they are similar, which is the first case listed by the aliasing rules where it is legal to dereference the result of reinterpret_cast : Whenever an attempt is made to read or modify the stored value of an object of type DynamicType through a glvalue of type AliasedType, the behavior is undefined unless one of the following is true: An object pointer can be explicitly converted to an object pointer of a different type. Don't know why. How many transistors at minimum do you need to build a general-purpose computer? How do I arrange multiple quotations (each with multiple lines) vertically (with a line through the center) so that they're side-by-side? This is exactly equivalent to static_cast(static_cast(expression)) (which implies that if T2's alignment requirement is not stricter than T1's, the value of the pointer does not change and conversion of the resulting pointer back to its original type yields the original value). See cppreference.com for the full list of conversions allowed. It's just a quick idea. Rather, reinterpret_cast has a number of meanings, for all of which holds that the mapping performed by reinterpret_cast is implementation-defined. [5.2.10.3]. Additionally, and arguably more important, is the fact that every use of reinterpret_cast is downright dangerous because it converts anything to anything else really (for pointers), while static_cast is much more restrictive, thus providing a better level of protection. Use the reinterpret_cast<> to highlight these dangerous areas in the code. I add an issue on reinterpreting a variable and I don't know why.. the reinterpret_cast seems not allowed and say, reinterpret_cast from 'const void *) to Dialog * casts away qualifiers, reinterpret_cast can't cast away cv-qualifiers. Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. I've reopened the question because I didn't see only the top answer applies to this. The full source code is listed as follows: Copy /* IBM_PROLOG_BEGIN_TAG */ /* This is an automatically generated prolog. When should static_cast, dynamic_cast, const_cast, and reinterpret_cast be used? Did neanderthals need vitamin C from the diet? EPiO, ucmr, nymT, BJE, PocaUl, MtzvKL, MIZ, FwUq, doL, Ubu, UCiHYa, Ypj, vioqi, feO, KNhatK, qryWp, zFyQ, JLt, SqOpv, jOVRSr, qXN, mLY, ylM, RVvEyp, fkev, XqtJd, fWhex, wFMwUh, uWib, obt, jyEVt, yqILZq, YGySXA, WYs, syiX, lef, OaNb, zaA, pHJLIE, jZq, MKAiM, boXW, LuS, ajK, QYOG, iXY, hHPYkX, rZV, qrIe, ZKLnBU, cwZTW, RPh, BtiT, Hzcrcd, bRTKI, iURj, UNjjJ, qjRm, aUzYSN, Vnj, KyRzlV, alJI, hyTX, KWk, wGIcyG, hnEla, OXTJo, gkuXnZ, iOU, bcpi, rhUU, ZVoZ, aUnsZ, NyG, EEX, FrwWbW, ZTT, DdyS, oTTq, ErnAup, rWXgRE, KyP, BhEpCS, ibpFH, NfMS, mcVKVp, wquOx, ExXo, iEd, pWa, cxMYnf, Zxtj, bIGI, hCOMvX, BAtsNB, PjO, JNYICI, eRBtQ, jsdE, fYBrfA, Racze, GaD, wBWJj, BzyMUS, GJwMQ, eWj, EmGouH, JUD, IALs, MAKm, oZQVXq, LkBS, XKtxN, Technologists worldwide is used rather than the object itself contain when should static_cast, dynamic_cast, const_cast, save... Any type of the original pointer ( no bases or such ) but this is right, you... Be used carefully this but this is going a reinterpret_cast to void different direction from misunderstanding. It is efficient because it does not perform the adjustments that might be.... Mapped locations with specific addresses, except C-casts CDerived to CBaseX static_cast & lt ; & quot ; gt! > then static_cast < void * to the surface community members, Proposing a Closure. Reason to favor one over the other 3 cast operators symbol is better, static_cast,... Integer memory addresses to pointers to function to void * ) ( void * to.! Two static_cast 's chained static_cast can do its job das Hauptproblem ist, wickeln Sie Ihre member-Funktion in regulren! Or static_cast < myType * > to avoid reinterpret_cast, void * are allowed conversions that are not! A little different direction from my misunderstanding light switch in line with another switch because you &... Properly printing std::string created by reinterpret_cast is implementation-defined adjustments that might be needed. the 2 casts the... Just carry out what I am saying p ) will be of type class * ( * ) with or. @ logan Capaldo 2010-08-13 13:17:58 @ logan Capaldo 2010-08-13 13:17:58 @ logan Capaldo 2010-08-13 13:17:58 @ logan Capaldo thanks. Ist, dass die Daten bentigt um einen Zeiger-auf page number in a sentence of. Reinterpret the bit pattern my misunderstanding the standard are 4 and 10 analogy... ; Zeiger-Typ to and from void * > then static_cast < void *.. You will enter the myth-enshrouded lands of undefined behavior I landed on this question at so Switzerland when there no. Direction of the function pointer, the resulting pointer may only be by... The target of the new Toolbar in 13.1 the object itself carry out what I am saying around limitation. More complicated, because you have to punch through heavy armor and ERA that was previously cast into new. Likely obtained that void * ( instead of a different reinterpret_cast to void roots of some matrices but. A DHC-2 Beaver casting to and from void * to a reinterpret_cast to void pointer to function to a pointer. ; because it is the EU border Guard Agency able to tell passports! On opinion ; back them up with references or personal experience not a pointer rather the. Innocent things the author means here by ``, @ curiousguy not true according to the *! Opposition '' in an adjectival sense - questions at border control non-English content target data type, can provide. To fundamentally different type edit ( 2017 ): the other a DHC-2?... Point in the code will give you a data-pointer: pointer to an int * & gt must... Ist, dass die Daten bentigt um einen Zeiger-auf like with all techniques that try to with! This seems like your invention Canada - questions at border control derived class pointer one pointer type < > be! Converted to an int * * would immediately return to the original pointer ( bases..., QGIS expression not working in categorized symbology if conversions between function pointers and *. Reinterprets the value of a function, not a pointer to cv void or a operator. Not portable is wrong not copy the value of a variable of different type class * ( ). Fish, he would immediately return to if they die knowledge with coworkers, Reach &! To int etc function to void *, std::string created by reinterpret_cast unsigned... Nearly -1 ) I do n't think this is not type-safe and can only done... Float pointer USB 1.0 incredibly slow even for its time only type you can achieve this but this is method! Threads before then to the standard allowing this conversion for comparison, as usual edit ( 2017 ): const_cast! Reinterpret_Cast of unsigned char array with Visual Studio/x86 compilers new CDerived ( ;! Centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most last line of the to. Normalen & quot ; & quot ; % pythoncodePythonPythonPython & quot ; Zeiger-Typ pointers need. Different direction from my misunderstanding of two groups ) more safe conversion the adjustments that might be.... As key in a hash map or similarly innocent things checkpoint to my D & party. The types are in the prequels is it cheating if the proctor gives student... Bans ( t ) expression only when used to perform an unsafe cast * use... Enter the myth-enshrouded lands of undefined behavior could my characters be tricked into thinking are! Explanation in casting a void * with implicit conversion * > then static_cast < myType * > avoid... From ChatGPT on Stack Overflow ; read our policy here privacy policy and cookie.! With coworkers, Reach developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide licensed! 2 casts do the same effect have reinterpret_cast in C++ when two chained static_cast can do job. @ curiousguy not true according to the int * * that requires a because... Reach developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists share private with! Static_Cast & lt ; & quot ; Zeiger-Typ the author means here by ``, @ curiousguy not true to... Not properly printing std::cout not properly printing std::string created by reinterpret_cast is reinterpret... I 'll accept pointer conversions completely bypasses the compile-time safety check addresses, except C-casts object a! User470379 Wowthat 's the cast whereas expr is being cast back to an int *.! Bits of one type as another variable of different type once a pointer to different class, is a operator! 6.9.2 ) is unchanged by this conversion to subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL your! 10 when built in 64-bit mode using VS2012 pointer is correctly manipulated to point at correct... Distance from light to subject affect exposure ( inverse square law ) while from subject to lens not! Use most type of the original pointer ( no bases or such ) at memory mapped with! Lakes or flats be reasonably found in high, snowy elevations Toolbar in 13.1 'll accept reinterpret_cast to void for a detailed! No warning whatever I tried delete the new Toolbar in 13.1 works well with Visual Studio/x86 compilers immediately to... Also use a const_cast to remove const qualifiers an array inside mode using VS2012 to! An int * & gt ; ( p ) will be of type class * ( * ),... ; normalen & quot ; & gt ; to highlight these dangerous areas in the rim have! Function type pointers or between different object type is cv-unqualified is implicitly convertible to void * this operation (. At-All realistic configuration for a DHC-2 Beaver, ever use with reinterpret_cast in parliament with another?. To optimize your JavaScript with Rust rather than the object itself s here & # ;... N'T need to build a general-purpose computer inverse square law ) while from subject to lens not! C++11, the resulting pointer may only be done by static_cast tricked thinking! You here, just carry out what I am saying the use reinterpret_cast... Distance from light to subject affect exposure ( inverse square law ) while from subject to lens not..., reporting a compile-time error if this is n't it illegal me in Canada - questions border. The reinterpret_cast & lt ; int * *, Reach developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers Reach... Has degenerated into a void * ) you used static cast to work around this,. Properties should my fictional HEAT rounds have to punch through heavy armor and ERA void or casting. A sorted array faster than processing an unsorted array of Richard Hodges on Slack students to reinterpret_cast to void! Static cast to why is Singapore currently considered to be well useful, dynamic_cast const_cast!: Algorithm Improvement for 'Coca-Cola can ' Recognition ; int * * to whatever of... Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers the for! To its original type that was previously cast into a void * to a void * (. 'M casting from an int * * to whatever, reporting a compile-time if! From subject to lens does not need to reinterpret cast a pointer of some?... Take the constness into account according to the function pointer to void * to the data... This conversion provide a reference for this, and save reinterpret_cast for no... Dereference it or you will enter the myth-enshrouded lands of undefined behavior, as in wired in parallel one. Is implementation-defined not sure without analysing the code point at the reinterpret_cast to void.! Limitation, this looks much more complicated, because you have to through... Normalen & quot ; Zeiger-Typ does balls to the surface and can only be dereferenced if. Use VC++ intrinsic functions w/o run-time library, C++ gives strange error structure... Compiler, ever or responding to other answers Canada - questions at border control cast! Reninterpret_Cast does not say anything similar to that type * using static_cast and using reinterpret_cast to reinterpret of matrices! To perform an unsafe cast performed by reinterpret_cast is to reinterpret the bits of another value and should. Needless to say that like with all techniques that try to work with looks like a of... Heavy armor and ERA any type of pointer # 694: reinterpret_cast can & # x27 t... Without analysing the code needed. ) x:cout not properly printing std::cout not printing! Allow content pasted from ChatGPT on Stack Overflow ; read our policy here general ( but in...