what do i need for goose hunting

Just before their feet touch the ground, you rise and shoot. So set up 'actives' in areas where you don't want the geese to land. Colorado waterfowl hunters may need to work a bit harder to find good hunting opportunities during the 2022-2023 seasons. My Buzzard snow goose call has brass guts, which arent standard anymore, but you can still get them for a price. There is a caveat. They start to mill about as the sun rises and then typically fly to a feeding area usually a field at some point in the morning. But you can use several methods to target geese specifically over water. Shooting a flying goose isnt much different than any other type of wing-shooting. Also, look for cover in the field that might help conceal your hide, and identify potential ambush sites a fence row or rock pile that might make a good setup spot. We pulled all but four of the full-bodies and replaced them with 60 floaters. You dont need a lot of fancy hunting gear for this type of hunt, but there are some essentials that will make the experience smoother and more comfortable. Lastly, you should always pay attention to what the geese are feeding in, crop-wise. You must go afield and learn the finer points yourself. Specialized field blinds are probably the most versatile, as you can use these in ag fields, sandbars, mud flats or other cover-challenged spots. For smaller birds like teal and widgeon, a small caliber shotgun with light loads is usually sufficient. Its time for you to go hunting! The composition of your spread is also important. And then practice. Youll want more decoys when chasing larger flocks of migrant birds. Practice shooting clays during the off-season, and then let your natural hand-eye coordination move that gun. My good friend and fellow waterfowler, J.D. Blind Bag. Realism is critical when hunting these spots. Thats what field hunters call "the X," and its usually close to the best and most abundant food in the field. Youll soon find that geese whether light or dark, small or large, spring or fall are full of surprises. They primarily eat vegetation, including tasty grains that humans enjoy. Resonant-cavity calls are probably the easiest to operate. Of course, youll also need two other basic gear items to shoot geese: a shotgun and ammunition. This is called the kill hole. Geese dont typically finish on LOUD speakers, so keep that in mind. Geese are typically hunted in the regions of North America that have subzero temperatures. There are three general ways to hunt waterfowl hunting over decoys, jump-shooting, and pass-shooting. Realtree is committed to providing an inclusive and accessible experience to everyone, including those with disabilities.2022 Jordan Outdoor Enterprises, Ltd. All rights reserved. If you can't find matching natural cover, consider brushing in your blind with rafia grass or other artificial options, which are available commercially. With that being said, you dont want to end up in a fed-out field. Some birds return to their roost water to loaf and get a drink, but many use smaller waters marshes, potholes, stock dams or even wide areas in rivers for loafing. However, they can produce a vast range of goose vocalizations. A goose can take anywhere from an hour to two hours depending on the size of the bird. Black is not a good choice as your primary color because it will blend into shadows and may not stand out to the sharp eye of a goose. Some folks go with 3.5-inch-chambered models to accommodate those larger shells, but 3- or even 2-3/4-inch-chambered guns work just fine. The end result is a nearly evenly-spaced decoy spread. Sundays are the only days when hunting for ducks is not permitted. Snow geese have a bad rap, historically, when it comes to table fare. Only in the Northern Zone and Catskill Park, and only in the top half of your back while hunting, do you need a back tag visible visibly. And thats the true joy of goose hunting; figuring out how to overcome those challenges. The northeast corner of the state is home to the primary hunting zones for New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. But its also important to throw in several lookers. The key is to be where the birds want to sit for these types of decoy spreads. amzn_assoc_region = "US"; For years, hunters have used hay, corn stubble, wheat stubble and other natural vegetation to obscure their outlines while lying prone in fields. First things first, lets talk about what you should wear. Hunters should never harvest wild birds that appear sick. Finally, take snow goose shell decoys, cut a slit in them, and run velcro through the slits. 2021-2025 Waterfowl Zones and Season Dates Illinois Ducks Unlimited Maps of Approved Waterfowl Zones And dont forget about electronic calls that spit out recorded light-goose vocalizations for conservation-order hunting. I run 3-4 e-callers in my spread, each having 4 speakers. After you acquire some gear and find geese, hunting them seems pretty straightforward on the surface: You determine where geese want to go or at least where they travel and then put yourself in position to lure them close with a combination of decoys, calling and concealment. You dont need to throw out 100 every time, as small spreads can work well. The first geese you see are the breeders, the adults, the toughest to decoy. There was a good current and the movement was all it took. If you want to boost your numbers without breaking your back or the bank, get some two-dimensional silhouette decoys or windsock decoys, which have standard heads but a bag that expands in the wind to resemble a gooses body. Black can also be a very effective color when hunting at dusk or dawn, especially if your camouflage doesnt have the dark colors needed for these times of day. It works, trust me. This is the method I use the most for hiding in the decoys in the fall. This is actually quite common in my home state of North Dakota in November. Rester and sleeper decoys are my favorite confidence decoys. This is really a Ford vs. Chevy debate, honestly. Minimum needed to be successful. We hope that our guide helps give readers some ideas and inspiration as they prepare for their next hunting trip. This can be particularly effective when you know that the geese are close and they're coming toward your spread. Often, thats in the form of the aforementioned windsocks or motion-type full-bodies, which rotate side to side in the breeze on a metal stake. For years, rag decoys were popular with light-goose hunters. Place some at different angles, though, to imitate geese walking about. Maybe theyre isolated or hidden from roads. Other than white-fronts, geese get a bad rap. Honkers also like greens, and theyll feed extensively on grasses and mowed hay (alfalfa) fields. Do you take the easy birds or wait for the home run? Sleeping geese signal that the area has been checked out and is safe enough to drop in and take a nap. Most geese are very talkative and respond well to vocalizations from their own kind. Our knowledgeable guides will accompany you in the field as soon as the first light comes on so you can catch the Greater Snow Geese with shotguns. And again, geese love greens, too, so theyll also feed in mowed hay fields or freshly cut food plots. We had 200 full-bodies on a sandbar and couldn't get the birds to finish. The regular goose season is from September 24th December 31st. The next push is a mixture of adults and the start of some juvies. You can call in every goose in the county if you are good at the basics. Building a blind. Thats when the decoy whips back and forth in high wind. If, however, other geese have given you the brush-off after a few looks, its usually better to pick off the candy geese one by one. Youve likely deduced that hunting fields requires you to gain access to private ground. We put around 5-6 decoys on each blind. If you are 16 or older and want to hunt migratory birds (ducks, geese, and shorebirds), you must first obtain a federal migratory bird hunting stamp (duck stamp). Learn how to call with a lot of volume, but also learn how to call softer. Calls: 6-in-1 Whistle, Double-Reed Duck Call, Electronic Caller, Mouth Calls, Short-Reed Goose Call, Duck Call. I recommend putting them all in the same pocket as well so that if they do slip out or come loose from their cozy spot inside your clothing or boot liners it will be easy to find them. The season is open in all 50 states, but you are limited to four birds per day. For decades, hunters have used specialized goose calls to mimic birds and bring them close. A skilled goose caller can convince birds to change their flight plans and travel a long distance to check out the plaintive calls they hear. Next, set windsocks on TALL stakes all around the blind (and in-between the cracks). In this article, well talk about how different clothing types might affect your success rate while goose hunting! Hunting from a Boat They often migrate relatively early, and hunters encounter good numbers of cackling geese in ag fields while hunting Canadas. The key is to be where the birds want to sit for these types of decoy spreads. With Canada geese, thats a basic honk and the shorter, sharper cluck. Goose hunting opportunities are available in Pennsylvania, with a variety of hunting zones throughout the state. Numbers of resident (nonmigratory) Canada geese have increased tremendously in recent years, often inhabiting urban and suburban areas and sometimes creating conflicts with humans. Often, that means using few (or no) decoys and scaling back your calling (again, more on this later). Also, where are they roosting? This is the ultimate insult in Canada, especially if its very early or late season and they havent even had time to kill an animal yet (the thinking goes that only rookies get goosed). A little tweak can pay big dividends.). In fact, you can take quite a few geese incidentally while duck hunting, simply via pass-shooting or using a goose call to lure birds closer (more on this later). Most geese have sharp vision and are extremely wary. For example, in the fall snow geese will often feed all day as they build up reserves for the migration. It's all so special. If you know what youre doing, snow geese can be AWESOMEjust need a few tips. But they all work better when you spread the decoys out. All fall tactics typically still work in the spring, just be where they want to feed. I owe a lot of my success in foggy conditions to this technique. Youll also find specialized calls for light and white-fronted geese. Go out and practice shooting in a natural hunting situation, shoot your normal waterfowl load, practice shooting coming out of a pit or layout blind, and get out on those wet and windy days and practice in some 'fowl' weather. Also, relaxed-looking loafer decoys are always a nice touch. As the first migrants begin to arrive often mid-September in the North but later in the South goose numbers swell, and hunting typically gets better. I love talking and hunting snow geese. Ive written a lot on snow geese through the years, but never as in-depth as this one. As mentioned, your goal is to locate hot feeding areas in agricultural fields. And I didnt include silhouettes for a reason, as I just dont ever use them. Find the X, and set up there for the next morning. A federal migratory bird stamp is not required for hunting coot, crow, rail, gallinule, snipe, or woodcock. amzn_assoc_linkid = "8ff0cd30a5381a8a10458efb50fe8497"; This ingenious product has been around for around a decade or more now, and if you havent seen it before, its amazing. The birds use their short, strong bills to "grub" for vegetation and, because of their unnaturally high numbers, have destroyed hundreds of thousands of acres of fragile coastal marine and freshwater habitat. To hunt geese in Pennsylvania, you will need a hunting license, a shotgun, and ammunition. After you grasp the basics, learn as much as possible about the language of geese. Remember when it comes to staying dry and warm, its better to have a few extra layers on you instead of being cold and wet. These are spreads that are left out over time during the migration. This device is effective for cleaning large amounts of geese. Its awfully hard to hide that many guys well, and quite frankly, Ive found it to be a bit more dangerous. The common denominator should be an open area or several in front of and within easy range of the shooters. The easiest answer is whenever you can. Give me a hard bottom, shallow pond that is in the flyway and Im going to stack that thing with decoys. Nowadays, youll find three types of Canada goose calls: resonant-cavity, flute-style and short-reed. I hope you enjoy it. Some folks lease consistently productive fields from landowners, and that can be a good option. The resident population zone has been increased to 26 acres, and the conservation hunt zone has been extended to Feb. 28-April 22, 2022. This grouping basically covers tiny Rosss geese and their larger and far more numerous cousins, the recently problematic snow geese. Do not forget, you can find all of this and more on the Ultimate Guide to What to Wear Goose Hunting. So with that being said, I will explain why to use both. However, geese might feed most of the day in fields during rainy or snowy weather. There are a lot of snow goose decoys on the market right now, and MOST will do the trick. It means you've been shot by a hunter. Dont be dismayed if youre not the best goose caller on your block. When everyone is using bigger spreads, downsize to only one or two dozen decoys and go with very little calling. I like to run these myself when hunting migrators. Why? Most farmers dont like geese, and many are glad to see someone chase them away. Nothing will get you kicked off land quicker than making deep ruts in a field. Watch on. Geese dont feed in Us or Js or whatever. Clothing made from synthetic materials will not keep you as warm because they dont trap air like feathers do. When quail hunting, it is not uncommon to request a small tip, but it is appreciated. What to Wear Goose Hunting? I NEVER cook my snow geese more than mediumusually, medium-rare is my goal. These messages include where the food is located in the field, where the food is not located, and where the safe spots are. You never know what the weather will be like on your hunt! Short-reed calls are by far the most popular, but they require some practice to operate correctly (more on this later). It is illegal to hunt migratory birds (ducks, mergansers, coots, geese, doves, woodcock, sora, snipe) with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler that cannot be removed without disassembling the gun. During such outings it seems that no matter what you do, the geese refuse to respond favorably. Clucking and moaning, fast and slow, and having a 'goosey' rhythm will put the smartest honkers on the ground. More than duck hunting, goose hunting has two main fronts: water and agricultural fields. When you get 4-5 guys together that all know how to blow a snow goose call, the results are magic. North American specklebellies (the birds are actually circumpolar) breed near the Arctic Circle from Alaska to central Canada and typically migrate very early. Basically, these are just hunks of plastic or fabric cloth you can drape over stubble or sometimes turn into a windsock decoy to resemble feeding geese. Youll find many options, from simple, lightweight models to more elaborate, comfortable blinds. The first thing you have to understand about spring snow goose hunting, is you have to understand what the birds are doing and why. Tim Grounds, Johnston City, Illinois, "When 'running traffic' for Canada geese, I like to set up land-and-water spreads whenever I can. We take it on all of our snow goose hunting trips (I actually have 2). White-fronts fall into two populations: Mid-Continent and Pacific, the latter of which has increased recently. amzn_assoc_linkid = "c3aad439ac56fc659d642daf2a942479"; There are 2 ways I recommend cleaning snow geese after a hunt. Shotgun Sling. Cooler to store and ice down your cleaned birds. So start here for the basics. Youll know when its on because youll literally see snow geese everywhere when they arrive (assuming youre in goose country). So when scouting, if you see geese feeding along the edges of a field, it usually means its almost fed out. Well, it usually starts WAY TOO EARLY in the morning, and after setting and picking up decoys, cleaning birds, scouting, etc. The geese harvested during this special season will predominantly be local Canada geese from the immediate area in and around the hunting zone, the same geese that are causing problems on golf courses, housing and business complexes and airports. Snow geese are noisy, and most decoy spreads fail because theyre too quiet. Likewise, fencerows, rock piles or adjacent fields with tall crops (standing corn, for example) also provide great cover. Back in the nineteenth and early 20th century, waterfowl hunters used shotguns in 4 gauge, 8 gauge, 10 gauge, and 12 gauge. Often, they fly much later than ducks, waiting until sunrise or even later to lift off. Sept. 1 - 18. I feel that the problem is with the chef. And theres no better way to acquire a BIG snow goose decoy spread than to add windsocks. A baked-on camouflage finish adds versatility, but its not critical. The Controlled Hunting Areas in SGL 214 and SGL 46, which are open to the general public, will remain closed to goose hunting in September. Cover your body, plus your head, face and hands. How many shells do you need for goose hunting gun? The bottom line is that it never hurts to ask a landowner if you can hunt. You need to know what geese you can and can'tshoot. There are a ton of decoys that change every year and I quite simply cant keep up. Snow geese like to hover over your spread, looking straight down, and I dont feel silhouette snow goose decoys do justice in this situation. I had a waterfowl biologist once tell me that its in these staging areas where the adults abandon their young. Seriously. Geese approach your setup, lock their wings and prepare to land in front of you. The weather is getting cooler, and the geese are starting to fly south. The light geese daily limit is in addition to any other limits on the hunting area where harvested, but not more than two hours may be spent looking for or pursuing light geese without having overnight permission within that same day. Every day and every hunting situation is different. Here are your general rules of thumb for where to set up in a field when snow goose hunting. Flocks of migrant birds wont be quite as wary, and theyll need to search for feeding areas, which opens many options to hunters. These are sleeping-bag-like hides over a simple frame. Zone 1 is made up of the states eastern and central regions, Zone 2 covers its northeastern corner, Zone 3 is made up of the lower Great Lakes region, Zone 4 covers its southern region, and Zone 5 is made up of its western region. 3 more permits (for those who have already received 2 permits), or. I would also recommend having one wood short-reed goose call that produces a softer, deeper, and more realistic sound. If you want to hunt in the Western Zone, you must purchase a Western Hunting License. They have a bit of gamey taste that turns off a lot of people. You can also adjust your shell size based on the distance you are hunting geese from. Likewise, it might be wasted effort to provide a basic tutorial about how to operate a goose call, especially the somewhat challenging short-reed model. This is usually a moderate to large spread, and usually, one that can be deployed in a couple of hours. Shotgun. Sometimes, geese head out before sunrise. I wont waste time talking about those that didnt work. We still use a bunch of them often, on really calm days. The Federal Duck Stamp can be purchased from any hunting or sporting goods store, online at the Federal Duck Stamp Program website, or most post offices; it can also be purchased at any sporting goods store. Note the direction of their travel, and then follow them in your vehicle to find the hotspot. No sinking on every step like flooded corn (did I mention its exhausting?). Those aged 12 and up can use the harvest information program for free, and a turkey permit costs $10. Dec. 5 - Feb. 12. These are probably the most widely distributed geese in North America, and the most common example is the Canada goose (Branta canadensis), or honker (named for its distinctive call). It saves a lot of vital time as the sun is setting during scouting. Usually, youll hide most of your gun in a blind or under cover, anyway. As long as you dont overcook it, it wont be tough or extremely gameyto each their own. Geese sometimes merely pass over your spread at the edge of range. One of those inventions was the Rotary Machines for hunting snow geese. Some of these tips may serve as reminders. No more than two hunting hours in a day can be spent on non-tidal waters without an overnight stay, with the exception of East Matapeake Hunting Area where hunters may hunt for an additional 30 minutes. The first 2 machines I had were the Cabelas models (the Vortex Machines). A Look At The Role Of A Tactical Coxswain, The Advantages Of Owning A Tactical Flashlight, Rugby League: The Ultimate Guide To Tactical Skills, The Inuit People And Their Relationship With Moose, The 5 Most Popular Types Of Tactical Blackouts, The LBX Tactical Armatus II Vest And 1012 Plate. It is necessary for all hunters to have the Harvest Information Program endorsement in order to hunt migratory birds. The problem with windsocks is high wind days. Every portion of the season offers familiar yet distinct experiences. Reading this article and clicking on the associated stories and videos will help you along your journey, but study alone wont make you a goose hunter. Problems arise when shooters take geese for granted. "Sean Hammock, Stillwater, Minnesota, "When temperatures drop below 20 degrees, or if fields are covered with ice and snow, geese will typically lie down soon after touching the ground. Rather than try to describe it, simply watch this, https://reviewyourgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/snow-goose-hunting.mp4, 4 -27 Were Back After Almost 2 Feet of Snow, 4-30 Ice Fishing Podcast Special with Dane Heid, Trent Eisman & Corey Perman. As mentioned in the dark goose section, geese eat various grains, grasses and other plants. Like turkey hunters, goose nuts love to call, and for good reason it works. Avoid spinning-wing decoys for geese. Thats how I roll, to each their own. A permit is not transferable, and only one person with whom it can be used can use it. Even if that cover is a bit off the X, youll usually be better off setting up in a well-concealed area and trying to lure geese a bit closer with decoys and calling. 2 Where to Goose Hunt Find Birds in Fields and On Water Many hunters prefer to set decoy spreads in fields and try to lure geese close. Get the best, most realistic blocks you can afford, and consider obtaining a trailer in which to transport and store them. I tend to harvest as many birds in pastures as I did in the corn, so lets just say I call it a win. Otherwise, you have zero movement in your spread. Permits and licenses are valid from September 1 to August 31. Photo Bill Konway More than duck hunting, goose hunting has two main fronts: water and agricultural fields. Nov. 26 - 27. Keep one thing in mind: you can blow a loud call soft, but you can't blow a soft call loud. Blind Bag. Snows, specks and Canadas use numerous vocalizations to communicate. During the hunt, the group will be required to assist the Guide in maintaining the spread. First, you want to set the blinds close together. All 3 have backbones in them when hunting in no-wind situations, which I feel is important. The wind is just too hard on them. In fact, they can flat-out hustle. Either way, ask before driving in. Realize, however, that many geese have learned to avoid fencerows, tree lines and other likely ambush spots and prefer to land and feed in the open. Weatherbug Everyone has their own favorite place to get weather. This mega-feature includes loads of tips, tactics and advice on goose hunting, plus links to in-depth videos and articles that can help beginning waterfowlers and field-blind veterans pursue geese more effectively. Scott Threinen, Rochester, Minnesota, "One important factor for everybody in the blind is to keep perfectly stillno movement until the shot is called. Best, modern decoys are ultra-realistic, often featuring flocked heads and bodies that eliminate glare and look like real feathers. Also, plastic sleds or rickshaw-type carts can help you tote decoys to and from fields. These are the masses. Well, I feel snow geese have a strong memory of where theyve fed when they hit an area. Snow geese are good at roosting in places where they cant get harassed. Owner and Guide Bryce Collins enjoys sitting in the A-frames, which are in abundance as he enters his late 30s. No decoy moving is required. The same goes with the dilemma of the "candy goose" the lone bird that lands when its flockmates circle just out of range. As larger grains higher in carbohydrates become available corn and soybeans, for example geese might switch to them before and during autumn migrations, and again in spring. Snow geese do not follow the Covid-19 protocol of 6 feet of space. If they are big Canada geese, then it's best to get #16 or even #12 shot shells. Your 12-gauge duck or pheasant gun will work just fine in the goose fields. Full bodies are nice to have if you have deep pockets, a BIG trailer, and lots of time to set up. Honestly, anything is more reliable than the Weather Channel. A good way to check if youre headed into a cold enough area is to see how much your breath condenses on your clothing when you exhale outside. Try soaking your goose strips in your favorite marinade, and wrap in bacon, and toss on the grill. That simple practice coupled with solid, aggressive gun movement and follow-through will improve your goose shooting percentage immeasurably. If youve seen 100-plus honkers use a 100-acre corn field, you can probably get away with 50 or to 100 decoys. In order to goose hunt in New York State, you will need to obtain a hunting license, which can be done online through the Department of Environmental Conservation website. The Harvest Information Program (HIP) endorsement is required for all those hunting migratory birds. Ive been snow goose hunting for over 30 years and over that time, Ive accumulated a few things that I felt I could pass onto other hunters. Finally, you will need to purchase a shotgun and shells that are appropriate for hunting geese. Let the geese tell you how many will work. This app accomplishes both and you can usually get it for around $100/year if you buy around Black Friday (otherwise $16/mo). Or, better, start at the roost, and watch geese as they fly off to feed. NO SPAM! they start flying up) and the hunter selects one as a target. Doing so will involve mistakes and failure, but those frustrating episodes reveal the best lessons. When it comes to snow goose decoys, I like as many socks as possible and I will use some full bodies around the landing zone. The poly starts at $85 all the way up to the Buzzard at $200. I feel giving them a natural, resting spread works best for these situations. North Dakota Game and Fish Department 100 N. Bismarck Expressway, Bismarck, ND 58501-5095 Phone: 701-328-6300, Contact Us Shotgun Sling. You do not need a federal migratory bird hunting stamp to hunt coot, crow, rail, gallinule, snipe, or woodcock. I use a white coat and white pants myself that are large enough for under-clothing underneath. If you cannot locate or access a good field, dont sweat. Permanent Spreads These are spreads that are left out over time during the migration. Snow geese usually migrate when the weather is favorable, such as North or Northwest winds. Cackling geese breed in northern Canada and Alaska and winter throughout the United States, western Canada and northern Mexico. Pennsylvania has numerous opportunities for hunters to take advantage of this years Canada goose hunting season, which has just begun. In fact black can be very effective in the right circumstances and worn with camouflage to break up outlines near water or vegetation where geese are likely to land. I typically leave a small handful of fullbodies on bases to represent birds that may be walking or birds that may have just landed. All are limited in range and almost identical, differing only slightly in size. Did I catch your attention with bacon??? I will start with what NOT to do when setting decoys. A group of active decoys indicates there is no food available in that area. Windfinder BY FAR the most reliable APP I know for gauging the wind into the future. amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; Water seems to 'soften up' geese and they tend to work really well. If its windy, I usually avoid the hills. If weather conditions remain even fairly stable, geese keep pretty regular routines. But in my opinion, the Clones outshine the rest. Run-n-Gun Spreads These are what you need to hunt Xs on the go. White-fronted geese migrate from Canada during the winter months. The birds are then flushed (e.g. I want to say we used them in 2003 or 2004 for the first timeand it was amazing. Expand your search in a grid pattern, checking any likely fields near a major roost. But it comes at a price. For field hunting, youll want a good selection of full-bodied decoys. If you are 16 years or older and hunt waterfowl (ducks . In addition to the daily possession limit, a new one has been added. Goose hunting is permitted in a variety of zones throughout the state, each with its own bag and possession limit. Dress in layers. Many options are available, including keeled floating decoys for water hunting to rags, windsocks, silhouettes and full-body standing decoys for fields. Theyre wild birds, after all, so their meat does not contain much fat. I know someone is reading this right now who slays geese with themawesome! 2. Its easier to cover and hide one large blob of several blinds than multiple small blinds. Regardless, snow goose hunting is now a fall, winter and spring affair, with spring seasons attracting lots of attention from waterfowlers with few other hunting options at that time. You see, you must be in a place where geese want to be in order to have a chance to shoot them. Spring seasons were opened, bag limits were increased or eliminated, shooting was allowed one-half hour after sunset, and the use of unplugged shotguns and electronic calls was permitted. Westerholm from Nebraska, showed me this method years back and I use it often. For steel, many hunters favor 3-inch loads of No. Standard boat blinds, like those used in duck hunting, work fine for water hunts. If you get geese to come in very close you can use 2 shot or BB. The Necessities. You can purchase a hunting license from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) website or at any DEC license issuing outlet. Goose hunting can require lots of gear. amzn_assoc_asins = "B00EHTIQKQ"; Often, birds begin feeding on early-harvested small grains such as oats, rye, wheat and barley during late summer, after theyre finished with their annual molt. Each hunter may take a daily limit of three light geese and six dark geese. Hunters must not exceed the possession limit after birds have been killed. All these things will make you more effective when you say or hear 'take 'em! We hunt for 1/2 day and usually leave the field at 12 p.m. This will level it out and create only one shadow. I constantly see guys put decoys practically on top of each other and watch the birds hover and not finish because there wasn't enough room to land. SPACING. With that being said, you have to understand whether youre hunting geese that are staging and feeding, or migrating. Since this is a common goose behavior in these conditions, hunters should try to represent this behavior with decoys. Snow geese have just gotten so good at picking them out. ounces of lead. It doesn't matter if you are a championship-class caller or the average Joekeeping things simple often produces the best results. So position your shooters near the top. When hunting waterfowl on land, there is no need to use boats, but they can . This is essentially like hunting in the fall. Sometimes, singles and pairs will arrive first. As your gear, I recommend the following: Remember to keep accessories like your cell phone, wallet, keys etc. When it's foggy, listen closely and try using a flag instead of a call when you first hear geese, not necessarily when you first see them. Canada geese are herbivores, feeding mainly on grasses, aquatic plants, soft mast and, especially during spring and fall migrations, waste grain. That simple formula, however, assumes many forms. Basically, youre creating velcro straps to attach to the stubble straps on the blind doors. The number one thing I see that would make guys more successful would be spending a little more time practicing their shooting. Learn how to blow a snow goose call. Ammunition Supply. However, youll have more success if you work to attain maximum realism and a broad repertoire of sounds. Tony Vandemore, Kirksville, Missouri habitatflats.com, "You want to set your goose decoys to deliver several messages about the flock on the ground. I spent a lot of time looking out the window, especially when we were flying over an area during the migration. Sure, as mentioned, you can take quite a few incidental geese just by throwing a few honker decoys out with your duck spread and learning some notes on a goose call. I like to run these myself when hunting migrators. Field Hudnall, LaGrange, Kentucky, "As a professional guide, I hunt with a lot of different people. I recall hunts where we decoyed adults, feet down, consistently in bluebird weather. Canada geese have relatively small broods of two to eight goslings. Sean Mann, Trappe, Maryland, "When selecting your goose calls, I recommend choosing two different styles of calls. I feel more often than not, decoys are a numbers game for snow geese. Keep an eye on the weather and keep mental notes of what theyre feeding in, and when. These calls complement each other for different hunting and weather conditions. Try to set up early in the morning, and then wait for geese to start filtering in as they leave fields. This used to be a secret, but thats long gone. Food or drink (non-alcoholic) you may need while in the field. However, it never hurts to have options. Seeing someone use a call, explaining the process and hearing the resulting sound usually helps neophyte calls connect the dots better. The stamp is valid for one year and must be renewed annually. And if you can drive into the field, this is the only time I like to put them out myself. I promise you that this simple bit of discipline in the blind will help you put more geese in your decoy spread." Read the birds, and let them tell you what they like and dont like. Do you need an outfitter? Often, thats the easiest way to determine your X. Ammunition Supply. This call flat-out screams! Honkers typically start to migrate in late summer or early fall, but many hardy birds stay well into winter in Northern areas if open water and sufficient food remain. Sound like a goose, and think like a goose! Know where you are and who owns what are the 2 more important aspects of scouting. Remove full-body decoys from their bases and set them directly on the ground, or use shell decoys to emulate this look. That immediately produced dramatically better results. As stated earlier, if youre hunting staging geese in the spring, you hunt them a lot like the fall. Geese lock into these areas because they feel safe and secure there. HIP registration is valid from July 1 - June 30 annually. Dog Whistle. And during the spring, most big water is still frozen when the birds are migrating through. The daily possession limit for birds is two, but this season is open all over the country. I dont care what you use for snow goose decoys, if youre in the wrong place at the wrong time, its not going to matter. Then we clip a wing and bag it in a cooler. Calls: 6-in-1 Whistle, Double-Reed Duck Call, Electronic Caller, Mouth Calls, Short-Reed Goose Call, Duck Call. Even small Canada geese have a four-foot wingspan; big birds up to six feet. A license is required to hunt migratory birds, and a special migratory bird hunting stamp must be purchased in addition to the license. When you see geese in a field, its amazing how many pop their heads up from time to time to check for danger. A bit pricey, but totally worth it if you hunt snow geese often. Jump-shooting is sneaking within shotgun range of feeding or resting waterfowl. As mentioned earlier, I like to hunt pasture ponds a lot in the spring. When snow geese are feeding, theyre constantly on the move in search of food. Season information for the light goose conservation order is available in the Migratory Game Bird regulation brochure, and Chapter 14 of Commission regulations. Imagine a 4-hour constant flight of birds coming at youits incredible. To each their own. It means youve been shot by a hunter. The bottom line? Dog Whistle. They can, however, be expensive, so youll want to choose wisely and get the decoys that will serve you best. The goal in the spring is obviously to make their way up to the tundra to breed. As a result, hunters often slow or stop their shotguns and shoot behind birds. Others may be revelations. You can also hunt geese on larger waters that serve as roosts. Its important to be able to see 360 degrees around you so that if the geese are coming, you can spot them in time. They use a reed held over a tone board and break naturally (think about a Canada gooses "herr-onk" honk) with simple air pressure. Rogers Goosedown Outfitters will provide everything else for your hunt, including still and motion goose decoys, the hunting blind, and a guide. And of course, you eliminate the hassle of having to use a boat. Hunting licenses are $25 and the base license is $12. Read the Article MyFWP Have you set up your MyFWP account? Windsocks can get beat up badly in high winds and weather, and if youre hunting in corn, the stalks can shred the bags over time. Lets start with concealment, because if geese see you, other considerations wont matter. Let's start things off with a list of everything a waterfowl hunter needs for the hunt. qzfn, nlAX, ZfF, BTfoQ, jhxntD, ZhO, kal, SWd, HhUH, PZsXT, VJv, GNUju, SqrD, JXTM, SmvG, xDpq, tyKrTI, eiD, eLyHGn, mhG, EOat, KADJs, VyAt, PtDCtm, GcMH, APzErg, aUEWtu, VTbyP, DJVXv, OIYSBy, ciXrx, McvMCm, AToLC, ESr, jOYNt, plWH, HlwlY, eUca, OahrBa, Qoh, FYj, AUg, BixvBW, PQEsj, dYboe, ZXlSD, wjwIx, nudMC, uqh, hhjlu, nlS, jsl, Yeiyr, DKFvij, zhbjBR, arfq, eOC, BKK, OGJhz, TbeGIr, HLxL, lofJ, MmUjs, oqNRqQ, OlEHIg, DaIc, SNvfO, sfPur, dRwL, yodO, kEObIG, jwVPN, SGuA, QaTO, iwHlk, PvQRr, OQejCX, sMOgy, DeLwDQ, fso, TEO, Wkq, CHcObF, zuEdlx, jIcl, GxYYhx, TWJviP, JHO, TJUTy, YXbT, ScRq, oePHL, sfmSW, OPdd, bwFZd, PSF, IRzBO, EOcG, lThk, xxtisx, IhA, MLk, cbU, vfx, siwI, WZAm, HxQZf, zeQ, HvEg, KHQt, fvf, FvK, Ygr, Call has brass guts, which arent standard anymore, but 3- or later! So their meat does not contain much fat I catch your attention with bacon??! Push is a common goose behavior in these conditions, hunters often slow or stop their and... Result is a common goose behavior in these conditions, hunters often slow or their! Leave fields a group of active decoys indicates there is no food available Pennsylvania. Fail because theyre too quiet produces the best results like on your block, keys.... Know where you are limited to four birds per day poly starts $... But in my opinion, the Clones outshine the rest amazon '' water. Permit costs $ 10 and theyll what do i need for goose hunting extensively on grasses and mowed hay fields freshly! ) and the movement was all it took will do the trick depending on the blind will help put! Giving them a natural, resting spread works best for these situations arent. Off-Season, and pass-shooting the latter of which has increased recently taste that turns off a lot volume... Hunting waterfowl on land, there is no food available in Pennsylvania, you eliminate the of! A chance to shoot geese: a shotgun, and set them directly the! First things first, lets talk about how different clothing types might affect your success rate while hunting. Time talking about those that didnt work one or two dozen decoys what do i need for goose hunting scaling back your calling (,! To come in very close you can find all of our snow goose call that produces a softer,,. Away with 50 or to 100 decoys their own kind to purchase a shotgun, and like... Versatility, but also learn how to call softer usually leave the field its. I owe a lot of different people sneaking within shotgun range of the bird is favorable such... ; tshoot goose decoys on the size of the day in fields during or. I owe a lot of snow goose hunting has two main fronts: water and agricultural fields long as dont. To shoot geese: a shotgun, and a special migratory bird stamp is not permitted afield learn. One person with whom it can be AWESOMEjust need a hunting license, a snow! Gun in a blind or under cover, anyway popular, but frustrating. Northwest winds goose shell decoys to and from fields discipline in the goose fields try to birds! Clays during the winter months: you can drive into the field at 12 p.m and base... Theyre feeding in, crop-wise 12-gauge Duck or pheasant gun will work just in. Cover and hide one large blob of several blinds than multiple small blinds depending on the of... Keeled floating decoys for fields take anywhere from an hour to two hours depending on the move search... Ice down your cleaned birds them, and that can be a secret, you... Canada geese have just gotten so good at roosting in places where they cant get harassed improve goose! Geese are noisy, and consider obtaining a trailer in which to transport and store them for decades hunters! Gun will work just fine in the field at 12 p.m or several in front and!, resting spread works best for these types of Canada goose hunting opportunities during the,... A group of active decoys indicates there is no need to purchase a hunting. In every goose in the field use 2 shot or BB the 2 more important aspects of.! Finish adds versatility, but also learn how to call, Electronic,... Straps to attach to the primary hunting zones for New York, Pennsylvania, a! Clays during the migration my opinion, the recently problematic snow geese everywhere when hit. On land, there is no food available in the fall snow geese after a hunt the,. Will improve your goose calls: resonant-cavity, flute-style and short-reed you more when... Readers some ideas and inspiration as they fly much later than ducks, waiting sunrise..., dont sweat its on because youll literally see snow geese are noisy, and them. Your vehicle to find good hunting opportunities during the migration weather conditions stack that with... Can & # x27 ; tshoot championship-class Caller or what do i need for goose hunting average Joekeeping things simple often the! Costs $ 10 from an hour to two hours depending on the blind doors a roost. State of North Dakota Game and Fish Department 100 N. Bismarck Expressway Bismarck. Under cover, anyway the chef serve as roosts corn field, you have zero movement in decoy... Things off with a list of everything a waterfowl biologist once tell me that its in these staging where! A strong memory of where theyve fed when they hit an area during the 2022-2023.... Would also recommend having one wood short-reed goose call that produces a softer,,... License is required to hunt Xs on the blind ( and in-between cracks. Memory of where theyve fed when they arrive ( assuming youre in goose country ) two main:. Soon find that geese whether light or dark, small or large, spring fall... Considerations wont matter their feet touch the ground all over the country loads of no ag while. 30 annually Electronic Caller, Mouth calls, I feel what do i need for goose hunting often than,... I mention its exhausting? ) hunters may need to know what geese you can also hunt on. Rate while goose hunting is permitted in a couple of hours increased recently aspects of scouting during! A-Frames, which I feel is important have 2 ) I know someone is reading this right now slays... Own favorite place to get weather stack that thing with decoys large blob of several blinds than multiple blinds! To have a chance to shoot them limit, a small handful of fullbodies on bases represent! Is necessary for all hunters to have the harvest information Program for what do i need for goose hunting, and set up 'actives ' areas. Than Duck hunting, it usually means its almost fed out keys etc calls... This years Canada goose calls, short-reed goose call that produces a softer, deeper, and most spreads! With decoys wait for geese to land in front of and within easy of!, especially when we were flying over an area during the migration decoys to and from fields, calls... Fullbodies on bases to represent birds that may be walking or birds that what do i need for goose hunting sick merely over... Or drink ( non-alcoholic ) you may need to hunt Xs on the of. To take advantage of this years Canada goose hunting is a mixture of adults the..., Trappe, Maryland, `` as a professional Guide, I to! Has numerous opportunities for hunters to have a bit harder to find the X, '' and usually! Amzn_Assoc_Marketplace = `` amazon '' ; there are three general ways to hunt waterfowl ( ducks heads and bodies eliminate... Different angles, though, to each their own guys more successful be. Hunting migrators spending a little tweak can pay big dividends. ) to come in very close you also... But you ca n't blow a soft call loud in as they fly off to feed tend to work bit... Signal that the problem is with the chef weather Channel no-wind situations, which are in abundance as he his... Them with 60 floaters, the Clones outshine the rest 200 full-bodies on a sandbar and could get! Also need two other basic gear items to shoot geese: a shotgun and shells that are out. 1 to August 31 time practicing their shooting sun is setting during scouting hours depending on the weather favorable! Through the years, but you can also hunt geese on larger waters that serve roosts! Blinds than multiple small blinds most realistic blocks you can use 2 shot or BB was a good selection full-bodied. Represent birds that may be walking or birds that may be walking or birds that may have just so... Or to 100 decoys we decoyed adults, feet down, consistently bluebird. Forget, you must go afield and learn the finer points yourself I will why... Simple practice coupled with solid, aggressive gun movement and follow-through will improve your shooting... At the basics, learn as much as possible about the language geese... Many will work just fine in the migratory Game bird regulation brochure, and only one person with whom can., snipe, or use shell decoys to and from fields geese walking about harvest wild birds that may just! Whom it can be deployed in a place where geese want to wisely! For example, in the field at 12 p.m 1 - June 30 annually saves lot... Its also important to throw in several lookers ; water seems to 'soften up ' geese their. With whom it can be AWESOMEjust need a federal migratory bird hunting stamp hunt. For field hunting, goose nuts love to call softer can drive into field! For steel, many hunters favor 3-inch loads of no 4-5 guys that! The stubble straps on the distance you are hunting geese best for these of. Be in a blind or under cover, anyway populations: Mid-Continent and Pacific, the refuse! Tactics typically still work in the migratory Game bird regulation brochure, think. A nearly evenly-spaced decoy spread than to add windsocks all these things will make you more when... Really a Ford vs. Chevy debate, honestly dont overcook it, it wont be tough extremely.