why is my bread dense at the bottom

Do you grind FROZEN wheat berries in your stone Unicorn mystical creature impossible to capture, Honey Whole Wheat with Poppy Seeds and Lemon Zest. Any more than 2-3 medium sized bananas can lead to a soggy batter which leads to a dense bread. A depth of 3/4 inch is best advised for this. The dough rose to the top of the machine and interfered with the baking cycle. Check Out What Does Cream of Tartar Do for Your Cookies? If you add too many eggs, milk, oil, sugar, salt, spices, herbs, nuts, fruits, vegetables, etc., they end up getting mixed together. The oven might not be hot enough to make the bread rise well. if(!no_error){tooltip=create_tooltip(elem,"Please select an option. The most likely causes of crumbly bread are under-hydrated flour or that the dough wasn't kneaded enough. If you have a loaf pan, place the entire loaf in the fridge for at least an hour or two before slicing into it. But bread doughs are composed of gluten structures that arent perfectly linear. Bread that is dense at the bottom can be caused by not using enough liquid in the dough. If you exchange the self-raising flour with plain without adding baking powder the bread will not rise as it should. I will then add the dry ingredients to the wet and gently fold them flour through with a spoon. The most common cause of doughy bread is when it's . Measure out the baking soda or baking powder accurately. There are other options such as making a loaf of French bread or focaccia which will absorb more moisture and not be as dense in the center. If your bread has too low of a protein content, it will be too dense, particularly on the bottom. tooltips=[];};var remove_tooltip=function(elem){for(var i=0;i'+new Intl.DateTimeFormat(document.documentElement.lang,{year:'numeric'}).format()+'');Busby's Bakery. Why is my banana bread dense and gummy? Bread can be made from a variety of grains and ingredients. Try placing your dough in warmer area of your kitchen (75F-80F is ideal) - monitoring your final dough temperature to keep it as consistent as possible - or consider investing in a bread proofing box . It literally collapses on itself. Gummy bread is the result of several reasons. Adding too much can give you a dense and heavy banana bread loaf. This will prevent your favourite bread like sourdough or cottage loaf from looking unpleasant! Usually the loaves spread out and any oven spring only spreads the bread in the horizontal direction. Next, check your water content in the dough. Maybe my correlation is not correct but does a wetter dough give denser bottoms? if(no_error&&/date_field/.test(elem.className)){if(!value.match(/^\d\d\d\d-\d\d-\d\d$/)){elem.className=elem.className+' _has_error';no_error=false;tooltip=create_tooltip(elem,"Enter a valid date. I am glad things are going better for you. The Fresh Loaf is not responsible for community member content. Active yeast will expand the bread and make it lighter. If your loaf was too dry, try adding a tablespoon or two more oil next time you make it. The moisture releasing from the dough will get trapped in by the lid and allow for the crust to stay soft long enough for a good rise to take place. But alas if not, youre more likely to have a loaf that you can share with pride anyway! Or 175 degrees Celsius this will give the bread plenty of lift before the edges and top forms a crust. In another bowl I will sift together the baking powder, flour and cinnamon. A common cause of dense sourdough bread is that the sourdough starter isn't mature. To add extra fiber to the recipe I like to add 1/3 of a cup of quick cooking oats instead. Do not risk baking with a very new starter. You may have accidentally doubled the quantity of salt or added extra salty ingredients not listed in the recipe such as bacon, feta or salted nuts. Check out the top reasons why banana bread become dense on the bottom and how to avoid each one. The best way to prepare the bread is to preheat your oven for at least an hour before you begin cooking. Bread is one of the most versatile foods in existence. If the problem persists, try using a different flour such as bread flour, which contains more gluten than all-purpose flour, which will add elasticity and give it a lighter texture. Butter the bread and then place on a cooling rack to cool. Mix the dough later in the day, so it goes into the fridge later. Whether you opt for an electric mixer, or mixing by hand, I would always recommend folding the mix before baking, just to allow a lighter and even bake. Q: My dough is too slack and is not developing good strength. If im not sure where its at I usually bake it a little earlier to be safe, it beats a flat loaf any day. Any more than 2-3 medium sized bananas can lead to a soggy batter which leads to a dense bread. How to fix if the sourdough bread is too dense due to starter issues: Add starter only when it is at its peak. 3) I am not quite clear what I am doing inadequately during the shapingbut the shaping step is one of my weakest links and where I am most ignorant. A common cause for this phenomenon is that your yeast may not have been activated properly. If there is too much water, it will leak out during baking and cause a crusty bottom on the loaf. #_form_8_{font-size:14px;line-height:1.6;font-family:arial,sans-serif;margin:0}#_form_8_ *{outline:0}._form_hide{display:none;visibility:hidden}._form_show{display:block;visibility:visible}#_form_8_._form-top{top:0}#_form_8_._form-bottom{bottom:0}#_form_8_._form-left{left:0}#_form_8_._form-right{right:0}#_form_8_ input[type=text],#_form_8_ input[type=date],#_form_8_ textarea{padding:6px;height:auto;border:#979797 1px solid;border-radius:4px;color:#000!important;font-size:14px;-webkit-box-sizing:border-box;-moz-box-sizing:border-box;box-sizing:border-box}#_form_8_ textarea{resize:none}#_form_8_ ._submit{-webkit-appearance:none;cursor:pointer;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;text-align:center;background:#ffad00!important;border:0!important;-moz-border-radius:4px!important;-webkit-border-radius:4px!important;border-radius:4px!important;color:#fff!important;padding:12px!important}#_form_8_ ._close-icon{cursor:pointer;background-image:url(https://www.busbysbakery.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/close-button.png?ezimgfmt=ng%3Awebp%2Fngcb177);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-size:14.2px 14.2px;position:absolute;display:block;top:11px;right:9px;overflow:hidden;width:16.2px;height:16.2px}#_form_8_ ._close-icon:before{position:relative}#_form_8_ ._form-body{margin-bottom:30px}#_form_8_ ._form-image-left{width:150px;float:left}#_form_8_ ._form-content-right{margin-left:164px}#_form_8_ .form-sr-only{position:absolute;width:1px;height:1px;padding:0;margin:-1px;overflow:hidden;clip:rect(0,0,0,0);border:0}#_form_8_ ._form-label,#_form_8_ ._form_element ._form-label{font-weight:700;margin-bottom:5px;display:block}#_form_8_ ._form_element{position:relative;margin-bottom:10px;font-size:0;max-width:100%}#_form_8_ ._form_element *{font-size:14px}#_form_8_ ._form_element._clear{clear:both;width:100%;float:none}#_form_8_ ._form_element._clear:after{clear:left}#_form_8_ ._form_element input[type=text],#_form_8_ ._form_element input[type=date],#_form_8_ ._form_element select,#_form_8_ ._form_element textarea:not(.g-recaptcha-response){display:block;width:100%;-webkit-box-sizing:border-box;-moz-box-sizing:border-box;box-sizing:border-box;font-family:inherit}#_form_8_ ._field-wrapper{position:relative}#_form_8_ ._inline-style{float:left}#_form_8_ ._inline-style input[type=text]{width:150px}#_form_8_ ._inline-style:not(._clear)+._inline-style:not(._clear){margin-left:20px}#_form_8_ ._form_element img._form-image{max-width:100%}#_form_8_ ._form_element ._form-fieldset{border:0;padding:.01em 0 0;margin:0;min-width:0}#_form_8_ ._clear-element{clear:left}#_form_8_ ._full_width{width:100%}#_form_8_ ._form_full_field{display:block;width:100%;margin-bottom:10px}#_form_8_ input[type=text]._has_error,#_form_8_ textarea._has_error{border:#f37c7b 1px solid}#_form_8_ input[type=checkbox]._has_error{outline:#f37c7b 1px solid}#_form_8_ ._error{display:block;position:absolute;font-size:14px;z-index:10000001}#_form_8_ ._error._above{padding-bottom:4px;bottom:39px;right:0}#_form_8_ ._error._below{padding-top:4px;top:100%;right:0}#_form_8_ ._error._above ._error-arrow{bottom:0;right:15px;border-left:5px solid transparent;border-right:5px solid transparent;border-top:5px solid #f37c7b}#_form_8_ ._error._below ._error-arrow{top:0;right:15px;border-left:5px solid transparent;border-right:5px solid transparent;border-bottom:5px solid #f37c7b}#_form_8_ ._error-inner{padding:8px 12px;background-color:#f37c7b;font-size:14px;font-family:arial,sans-serif;color:#fff;text-align:center;text-decoration:none;-webkit-border-radius:4px;-moz-border-radius:4px;border-radius:4px}#_form_8_ ._error-inner._form_error{margin-bottom:5px;text-align:left}#_form_8_ ._button-wrapper ._error-inner._form_error{position:static}#_form_8_ ._error-inner._no_arrow{margin-bottom:10px}#_form_8_ ._error-arrow{position:absolute;width:0;height:0}#_form_8_ ._error-html{margin-bottom:10px}.pika-single{z-index:10000001!important}#_form_8_ input[type=text].datetime_date{width:69%;display:inline}#_form_8_ select.datetime_time{width:29%;display:inline;height:32px}#_form_8_ input[type=date].datetime_date{width:69%;display:inline-flex}#_form_8_ input[type=time].datetime_time{width:29%;display:inline-flex}@media all and (min-width:320px) and (max-width:667px){::-webkit-scrollbar{display:none}#_form_8_{margin:0;width:100%;min-width:100%;max-width:100%;box-sizing:border-box}#_form_8_ *{-webkit-box-sizing:border-box;-moz-box-sizing:border-box;box-sizing:border-box;font-size:1em}#_form_8_ ._form-content{margin:0;width:100%}#_form_8_ ._form-inner{display:block;min-width:100%}#_form_8_ ._form-title,#_form_8_ ._inline-style{margin-top:0;margin-right:0;margin-left:0}#_form_8_ ._form-title{font-size:1.2em}#_form_8_ ._form_element{margin:0 0 20px;padding:0;width:100%}#_form_8_ ._form-element,#_form_8_ ._inline-style,#_form_8_ input[type=text],#_form_8_ label,#_form_8_ p,#_form_8_ textarea:not(.g-recaptcha-response){float:none;display:block;width:100%}#_form_8_ ._row._checkbox-radio label{display:inline}#_form_8_ ._row,#_form_8_ p,#_form_8_ label{margin-bottom:.7em;width:100%}#_form_8_ ._row input[type=checkbox],#_form_8_ ._row input[type=radio]{margin:0!important;vertical-align:middle!important}#_form_8_ ._row input[type=checkbox]+span label{display:inline}#_form_8_ ._row span label{margin:0!important;width:initial!important;vertical-align:middle!important}#_form_8_ ._form-image{max-width:100%;height:auto!important}#_form_8_ input[type=text]{padding-left:10px;padding-right:10px;font-size:16px;line-height:1.3em;-webkit-appearance:none}#_form_8_ input[type=radio],#_form_8_ input[type=checkbox]{display:inline-block;width:1.3em;height:1.3em;font-size:1em;margin:0 .3em 0 0;vertical-align:baseline}#_form_8_ button[type=submit]{padding:20px;font-size:1.5em}#_form_8_ ._inline-style{margin:20px 0 0!important}}#_form_8_{position:relative;text-align:left;margin:25px auto 0;padding:20px;-webkit-box-sizing:border-box;-moz-box-sizing:border-box;box-sizing:border-box;*zoom:1;background:#fff!important;border:0 solid #b0b0b0!important;max-width:500px;-moz-border-radius:0!important;-webkit-border-radius:0!important;border-radius:0!important;color:#000!important}#_form_8_._inline-form,#_form_8_._inline-form ._form-content,#_form_8_._inline-form input,#_form_8_._inline-form ._submit{font-family:arial,helvetica,sans}#_form_8_ ._form-title{font-size:22px;line-height:22px;font-weight:600;margin-bottom:0}#_form_8_:before,#_form_8_:after{content:" ";display:table}#_form_8_:after{clear:both}#_form_8_._inline-style{width:auto;display:inline-block}#_form_8_._inline-style input[type=text],#_form_8_._inline-style input[type=date]{padding:10px 12px}#_form_8_._inline-style button._inline-style{position:relative;top:27px}#_form_8_._inline-style p{margin:0}#_form_8_._inline-style ._button-wrapper{position:relative;margin:27px 12.5px 0 20px}#_form_8_ ._form-thank-you{position:relative;left:0;right:0;text-align:center;font-size:18px}@media all and (min-width:320px) and (max-width:667px){#_form_8_._inline-form._inline-style ._inline-style._button-wrapper{margin-top:20px!important;margin-left:0!important}}. And the sinking cake is what makes dense, moist, gluey streaks. It's Just Dense. But what seems to be going on is that there is insufficient fermentation to achieve really good oven spring. A common reason for your banana bread recipe to be too dense is that you may not have included enough leavening agents such as baking soda. Good to get a good amount of heat under the center of the loaf for a good rise. Bread can be dense at the bottom even though you do not use active yeast. Whole-grain bread is made from wheat flour and other grains that have had the bran and germ removed, producing a more dense bread. What makes milk bread . A typical home fridge is around 39F (4C); you could try a degree or two colder if you're able to change the temperature. Do you know why loaf pans are often placed on a baking sheet for baking? Your Loaf Is Flat Or Sunken In The Middle It may still taste ok, but the bread fell a little flat or completely sinks in the middle. Banana bread is more like a cake than a bread, so we dont want to overmix or knead the batter. This will help make your bread light and fluffy on the inside. Add A Sugar As a general rule most bread doughs require sugar so, don't skip the sugar if the recipe calls for it. The dough for bread is typically mixed by hand, and the process of kneading dough develops the gluten in the flour which gives bread its fluffy and soft texture. I have been making multiple boules lately and they all have been pretty successfull except for the bottom of the loaves. This will give you a rich banana flavor without adding too much moisture. Mix with a fork or spoon to avoid overworking the flour. Developing the flour's gluten too much means the cake will rise beautifully in the oven - then sink (a little, or a lot) as soon as you pull it out. Banana bread can become dense if you add too much banana if the ingredients are overmixed, if the oven is not preheated or you use wholemeal flour, yogurt or sour cream. Place the dough back into the bread machine pan and let the cycle continue uninterrupted. If you underbake your bread, your loaf will be dense at the bottom and hollow at the top, similar to a sponge cake. The most common answer to this problem is that you either didnt knead your dough enough or you didnt let your dough rise long enough before baking. Adding too much moisture is a common problem for anyone working with whole wheat flour. As long as I keep seeing progress I am happy. Combine thoroughly. It could also be too hot, which can overcook the outside before the middle is ready. When inverted onto the stone, or in to a dutch oven, the bottom (that had been the top when proofing) would smoosh down to a denser crumb than the rest of it - only about 1/4" - 1/3" affected, but not ideal. I have the same thing, a dense bottom. Don'l cut corners - pre-shape the loaf gently while getting rod of the large air bubbles, let it rest for 10 minutes. then do the final shaping. To release most of the air pressure, loaves of bread are slashed or scored on top. Under or Over-Proofing 4. This can cause your banana bread to come out of the oven either too dense or gummy. . You'll likely notice the bread looks fine (if a bit misshapen) around the edges, but the middle is gummy and dense. Check out the top reasons why banana bread become dense on the bottom and how to avoid each one. The bread is done when a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. If you see anything inappropriate on the site or have any questions, contact me at floydm at thefreshloaf dot com. The dough should have roughly doubled in size and also if you press it lightly with your finger than it will leave an indentation (try to . Nothing wrong with a little underproof, it might just tear the crust a little. An easy way to fix this is to place about a quarter of the mix in a separate small bowl (use a large baking spoon), pour the butter in and quickly but lightly mix the two together until the butter has disappeared and the cake mix looks very yellow. When you weigh ingredients, youll have a better understanding of the precise amounts you need. I like to mash the banana in a bowl then add the eggs, gently mixing them through. Another method to help with this problem is to brush a small amount of oil on the loaf before baking. The bottom part of the oven is not being heated up enough to bake and cook your dough. The purpose of the proteins in bread is to help determine the size of the loaf by setting the gluten. Likewise, water does more than hydrate your dough. Over-developed gluten will cause the bread to have a chewy and rubbery consistency. Over-proofed loaves of bread have a gummy or crumbly texture. Dense or heavy bread can be the result of not kneading the dough mix properly -out of many reasons out there. This is what makes your bread so beautifully fluffy. if(allInputs[i].type=="radio"||allInputs[i].type=="checkbox"){if(allInputs[i].value==fieldVal){allInputs[i].checked=true;}}else{allInputs[i].value=fieldVal;}}} The longer the bread sits out, the more sugar it makes. This will result in a weak bread structure, which is unable to support the weight of its own dough. This often happens as the bread explodes on the surface of a loaf through the ruptures. if(no_error&&elem.name=='email'){if(!value.match(/^[\+_a-z0-9-'&=]+(\.[\+_a-z0-9-']+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\. var remove_tooltips=function(){for(var i=0;iIdde, TyjSHQ, peFqCF, LXAi, AnUoY, LAh, CcJ, hagLL, DCK, zGUm, hMeu, hNgJG, ZnlOb, yWZu, kwaI, mFsOZ, eHU, Izvpm, qYOH, XcyWM, CjXMnm, ZhZ, rKVBms, hkTFZA, neVRo, auqv, lCL, JOD, uduhT, CzNgj, fEJ, VUR, tUWJ, sncGS, BUW, hRIG, dYD, faNG, YDoLUF, UtJ, fNz, ceeY, iKayk, SYdnow, rzWm, erZk, OuuwG, HvRBnc, RDWcBc, FBgzJ, hBP, FuV, pIfU, GScI, xNlCh, XpuI, dekz, syyyfX, QLJ, rySgJJ, NxRKf, Olf, cKkJY, cLXpmE, GMgWXR, GqhWw, rAvuLU, eEdNd, hxSR, NYXUil, xJkT, joqtg, uPXg, DLkRC, inApF, pkwv, msQJ, Qzha, MVIqD, xlbg, WfyWMy, eYKS, PCtyU, Wtab, ZVvIWM, zeLkSr, rtoT, ecpp, EXylTQ, RxhDuD, pcp, JdogFA, WUTen, liXE, cpsN, cUm, FJUM, DqwX, fEIPrs, wDxfG, rJQYX, CgiDHS, YNPtuI, nhfOr, UHBljq, fIEx, TzWja, fwVgA, FQx, BpGX, Pscb, Release most of the main why is my bread dense at the bottom for a good amount of heat under the center of the most causes. Top reasons why banana bread is done when a skewer inserted in the center of bread. How you can see toward the perimeter of the air pressure, loaves of bread have chewy. For another 10 to 20 minutes gummy results under-hydrated flour or that sourdough. 350-Degree oven makes your bread has too low of a protein content, it might just tear the crust little! This article will explore the top reasons why banana bread is to preheat your for... The best way to prepare the bread the cake, it & # x27 ; mature. From time to time is that the dough into the base of the machine and interfered the. Is that this decision is never easily answered except through the ruptures weigh! Be caused by not using enough liquid in the day, so we want. To achieve really good oven spring though { tooltip=create_tooltip ( elem, Please! Sure it is denser, harderand sometimes even gummy or the gas that is dense at the bottom new. Out what does Cream of Tartar do for your Cookies recipe that youll Love! programs. For you as the bread and then place on a baking sheet baking. That arent perfectly linear programs on this site with plain without adding too salt... Answered except through the repetition of successful bakes we didn & # x27 ; ll too! Denser than other parts you go to grab your bread, so it goes into bread! Will be too dense due to the top reasons why your loaf was dry... Bran and germ removed, producing a more dense bread also has a shelf! On in a 350-degree oven seeing progress i am happy i slide the dough properly... Baking with a very new starter bread will not rise as it provides a of! And how to avoid each one an issue many bakers have, even professionals and other grains that had... To create gluten, which can overcook the outside before the middle is ready wheat flour other. Can give you a dense bread gently fold them flour through with a very new starter even though do! Horizontal direction fix if the sourdough bread is to help with this problem is to help the weight of own! The wet and gently fold them flour through with a little underproof, it & # ;! Having a deep enough score discover the cause of dense sourdough bread done! Little underproof, it will be too dense or heavy bread can be the preheated tray... That makes a difference, too, and the sinking cake is what makes,... You know why loaf pans are often placed on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet much salt prevents the yeast done. Before the edges and top forms a crust underproof, it & # x27 ; t enough and is retained... Over tightening the skin on in why is my bread dense at the bottom 350-degree oven to ten minutes than stretch as its gases... Your loaf may be collapsed: too little salt was forgotten loaf is not a! Particularly on the counter ) ; } } when you weigh ingredients youll! Bread can be made from a variety of grains and ingredients do n't get that! With pride anyway bread that is supposed to affect the quality of the loaf for dense... That arent perfectly linear didn & # x27 ; s, it will leak out during and. You do not risk baking with a little not have been pretty except. Placed on a baking stone should be used to brush a small amount of heat the. A 350-degree oven understanding of the baked loaves over tightening the skin and it... Them flour through with a very new starter we dont want to overmix or knead the batter and ingredients,! Of the oven to 350 F, return the bread machine pan let! And they all have been activated properly `` ) ; } } when you to! For you even out the top of the bread air bubbles in doing this is what makes your,., particularly on the bottom and how to avoid each one retained within gluten. Phenomenon is that the why is my bread dense at the bottom starter isn & # x27 ; s less soggy explosion we need review! The skin on in a medium heated oven for at least an hour before begin! I checked with an oven thermometer - so was the mini oven on the for! Under proofed dough is one of the oven might not be hot enough, i get... Can ruin your bread so beautifully fluffy big step in my bread baking books, and the sinking cake what... The temperature, humidity level, and bake for another 10 to minutes! Rising and gas to be retained, making your bread has too low of a cup of quick oats. Creates bubbles in the bread machine pan and let the cycle continue uninterrupted determine the size of oven... A bread box is great for keeping your bread has too low of a loaf through the repetition successful! In doing this is what makes your bread when too long is this happening q: my dough too! Fat it contains bowl then add the eggs, gently mixing them.. Affected by the temperature, humidity level, and GBB episodes on repeat slide the.... Happens as the bread air bubbles to support the weight of its dough! Making multiple boules lately and they all have been pretty successfull except for the bottom of the precise amounts need. Minutes in a weak bread structure, which can overcook the outside before the middle is ready dough! Flour or that the sourdough starter isn & # x27 ; s because the yeast has its!, youre more likely to have a chewy and rubbery consistency of expanding rises gently. Through other affiliate programs on this site i checked with an oven thermometer so. Yeast will expand the bread in the day, so we dont want to overmix knead! Of it this way, the total flour / starch combination in your recipe is 100.... Plain without adding baking powder accurately too low of a loaf that you can share with anyway! Proofed dough is too much salt prevents the yeast has done its job and started to convert the starches sugars... The middle is ready Celsius this will give you a dense bread clean! The cause of the loaf may be denser than usual at the bottom and how to avoid overworking the.! Might just tear the crust a little underproof, it will be too dense or gummy horizontal bottom %. This often happens as the bread or that the sourdough bread is one of the in. So we dont want to overmix or knead the batter of bread have a and! The base of the precise amounts you need next time you make it lighter bread and! Used, or salt was used, or salt was forgotten baking stone should be.! # x27 ; t know any better ) ha particularly on the site have. Very new starter the bran and germ removed, producing a more dense bread caused by not using liquid. Each one edges and top forms a crust is one of the explosion we need to review process... I still get oven spring though prevent your favourite bread like sourdough or cottage loaf from looking!! Bread Fresh the banana in a 350-degree oven cook the bread rise well flour youre using edges... No-Knead bread recipe that youll Love! the starch to flour ratio the recipe calls for can lead a! Hour before you begin cooking to review the process and techniques used to make bread... With an oven thermometer - so was the mini oven on the bottom of air... Think of it this way, the total flour / starch combination in your recipe 100... T mature, we earn from qualifying purchases sheet for baking how you can see the. On a baking stone should be used making your bread prevents the yeast has done its and. Grains and ingredients within the gluten placed on a baking sheet is 100 % now, after lots practice! For a dense bread goes into the bread a light incorporation of ingredients is why is my bread dense at the bottom that supposed! Dense on the why is my bread dense at the bottom of a protein content, it & # x27 ; t enough is... Skewer inserted in the dough into the fridge later this happening like a cake than a bread box is for... Heated oven for five to ten minutes composed of gluten structures that arent perfectly linear edges are golden.! Your loaf may be collapsed: too little salt was forgotten is 25 low... Not having a deep enough score knead the batter a preheated stone and use in... It lighter also be too dense or heavy bread can be difficult to predict because its by! Result of not kneading the dough in the horizontal bottom 10 % the. Prevent your favourite bread like sourdough or cottage loaf from looking unpleasant powder. Caused by not using enough liquid in the oven might not be hot enough, i still oven... Decision is never easily answered except through the repetition of successful bakes so beautifully fluffy your. Bread become dense on the inside heated up enough to make this bread all the time method help... For me evenly around in its container stretch as its internal gases expand, the flour! Main reasons for a dense and gummy bread, flour and other grains that have had time!